1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Coyote calling

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by bigdogtx, Apr 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Any recommendations for calls, brands, etc.? Also is there a best time of day to call? Thanks for your help, they have been getting too close and took my house dog.

2. JoeBobOutfitters

JoeBobOutfitters TS Member

http://www.predatorquest.com/

Good place to start. Les is a good guy, and he's quite the caller. Has a good bit of products/information out there too.

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Varmint Al has a good site (see link).

The real keys to coyoting is to remain still, be scent neutral, try to find a position where the coyote's approach will be downwind and in front of you, and if possible use a remote caller so the sound source does not give your position away. Camo is suggested, but tan clothing works well too. (Coyotes cannot see green; itappears as various shades of white through gray.) I used to hunt coyotes in a tan buckskin coat. (Camo is best for coyotes that have been shot at already - they become adept at spotting people.) And be prepared for some fast shooting.

If you use your own calls, practice, and download sounds so you can emulate them.

You should not call continuously. Wounded rabbits have a very small lung capacity and little stamina. Call for about a minute, then rest for a minute or two. A facemask that will hide your hands works well with mouth calls. Electronic calls usually have a pattern with rest periods already in them. Don't call too loud at first. That can spook some nearby coyotes. Call soft and then get louder. How long to call? Half of the coyotes that come in will do so in the first 20 minutes. Most of the rest in the next 20 minutes or so. Anything onger than 40 minutes really isn't that productive, unless you're hunting bobcats and cougars.

Don't be discouraged. Most beginners call in far more coyotes than they actually see. If is not unusual for a coyote to approach from your blind side. This is why most experienced hunters hunt in pairs, and sit generally back to back to cover all approaches, or as many approaches as possible. I've had coyotes come up behind me fairly often.

Use a shotgun when shots are up close, especially in heavy brush. Remember, you'll be sitting down, so brush becomes a factor. Same in wooded situations. 12ga with 3" #4 buck through a full or superfull choke is probably the most popular setup, but a heavy 1-7/8 oz of lead BBs works well too, though they're not easy to find since non-lead shot has been mandated for waterfowl. Steel BB or T shot works too if the load is heavy enough. Steel should be shot in a modified choke or in a full choke that specifically says it is rated for steel.

Cartridges. Any 22 centerfire will work, though the Hornet and Bee are limited for range. The 223 is probably the most popular now, but the 22-250 is considered the king for coyotes. The 243 is also quite good, at the expense of recoil. There is now an amazingly flat shooting 55 gr load for the 243.

Scopes. High power is actually detrimental. Most coyotes are killed at under 100 yards. A 3-9x scope will easily handle nearly all your coyote needs. You can go higher power, but coyote hunting is not the same as varmint hunting. You're not shooting a small long range stationary target. You're shooting a larger, fast moving target, often up close. It's amazing how fast coyotes can quit country. They can easily hit a sustained 35 mph for quite a ways. if I had to pick a fixed power scope for coyotes I'd probably go with no more than a 4x. I've hunted them with a 6.5-20x Leupold, and even the 6.5x setting is too much up close. If you don't have a smaller caliber rifle, use your deer rifle. While recoil is an issue, as long as you can consistently hit a soup can at 100 yards you can use it for most of your coyote shots, except in very open country when you're in an elevated position. It's overkill, but it will work. Many frustrated deer hunters have shot vast numbers of coyotes over the years during deer season.

Speaking of smell - try not to use fabric softener or perfumed laundry soap. I use a scent neutral soap for hunting, but that stuff ain't cheap. If you use tobacco, keep in mind many animals link that to humans. Especially deer, bear and coyotes.

If you shoot and miss your coyote, don't hunt there again for three or four weeks. And if possible use a different call. If you used a rabbit distress call, perhaps switch to a canine pups in distress or kittens or injured bird calls. And try to switch spots to call from.

Above all, remain as still as possible. And don't get up too fast when you've finished calling. Observe for a minute or so before moving.

4. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Two things that will drive a coyote and a fox crazy are cats under a bushel basket and chickens. Get yourself a fake coyote also. They will see it and think its safe to come in. BANG.

5. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Just go to the pet store and get one of those toys that has a squeaker in it, tear it open and keep the squeaker. Put the long end of the squeaker in your mouth and blow, ya can learn to make different sounds by limiting the amoung of air. Cupping your off hand over the mouth will change the pitch and after a while ya can get dang good at it. Coyotes aren't too smart when they are looking fo a meal.

If ya don't like the idea of putting the itty bitty squeaker in your mouth, what I do is insert it in a dried piece of bamboo, cut to the desired length. Works good and not as easy to lose either. With a little practice ya will have em running over ya, especially in or near close wooded areas. That's when the 44 Smith earns its keep.

Gne J

6. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

Dog, if you drone on about politics at home the way you do on this forum, I would have thought that all your local coyotes would have died of boredom a long time ago. Maybe you could just give the few that are left a gun & let them shoot themselves to end their suffering.

7. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Get yourself a Foxpro spitfire e caller. Right price and they work great. For hand calls i use Sceery green open reed hand call and Tweety hand call. I hunt coyotes in three states in the fall.

8. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

thanks for the help....

hunter44,,,,next time I need an idiot to pick on, I will know who to call,,,,now go play with the neighbor's cat some more

9. Brian in Oregon

I was interested in the Foxpro Spitfire, but some research on the web brought up some problems with them. The most serious is some units have a very short range. This is due to no external antenna. Some users are having to hang them in trees or from tall brush to get a signal past 50 feet. No doubt Foxpro is addressing these issues, as they are a responsive company. But I'd still inquire if there has been a resolution.

The link goes to a dealer who will custom install the calling sounds you specify. Otherwise you'll get the factory default sounds, which may or may not be suitable for what you are hunting or your area.

In the meantime, I'm still using a Johnny Stewert PM-1 Digital Preymaster, which is a hard wired unit, plus mouth calls.

10. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

Allpredatorcalls.com is a great site. I have the Foxpro CS-24L Krakatoa and have had great luck with it.

11. Brian in Oregon

Ikey Starks, I hope you are joking and trolling for responses, but if you're not, let me say this. While I'm a hunter and have hunted and killed up to hundreds of animals a year, I do not condone torturing animals. And that is exactly what you are suggesting be done to live rabbits.

12. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Iknow Ikey and he's not kidding. How you doing buddy?
    Steve

13. crusha

crusha TS Member

Ikey,

That's a good approach for hunting blackbirds, too. In the spring, you can often find a baby blackbird hopping around on the ground, and if they haven't learned to fly yet, they're easy to catch. (Adults are always nearby).

Tie a string around his leg, attach the other end to a stick...and make like you're jigging a fishing pole, gently. Shraaa! Shraaa! Shraaa!

Brings in every blackbird within hundreds of yards. No blackbird can ignore the sound of their babies being "wrung out." They flock in like incoming skeet targets.

BLAM......thunk-bounce.

(...or so I've been told).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.