1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Coyote bounty?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Claymuncher, Jan 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Claymuncher

Claymuncher Member

How does one go about pushing the right buttons, and who would you push to get a bounty on yotes. Has anyone had experience in starting the procedure? I can imagine you need a sponsor but what would make the best sponsor to enact a law? The only thing left to hunt in SW Michigan is turkeys. They have killed "all" rabbits, pats, pheasants, woodcocks etc. in my area.

Why would the agencies not put on a bounty other than this large liberal machine we have in Michigan?

Any ideas?

CM

2. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Organize a movement that everyone boycotts hunting and fishing for a years season...no licenses or sporting equipment purchases except what you can do out of state then put up signs explaining why...one thing the politicos understand ...is "no taxes or fees collected and shortage of revenue"...its gonna be painful but it will get the point across and push the buttons

3. crusha

crusha TS Member

SSS...with a .22lr, minus the shovel?

What're they gonna do...go to the Coyote Emergency Room for an IV?

4. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

I like calvinmd's advice... money talks... or in his proposed movement, lack of...

5. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Years ago in Indiana there was a $25 bounty on fox, we would cut of the scalp with ears on and take them in. It worked well as the rabbit pop came back

6. BigBadBob

BigBadBob TS Member

Calvin's idea won't work, especially if the state you are from has a weak Conservation Department. If it weak already, you may just make it go completely under.

The best way to get a bounty levied on coyotes is to approach your county livestock associations, Pork Producers, Cattlemans Association, Poultry or Dairy farmers. Any organization that is having problems with coyotes.

I grew up in Pike county Missouri and the county Pork producers, (pig farmers) and Cattlemans Association would put up $750 each for a total of $1500 for a bounty for coyotes. When you shot 1, you would take it to the hardware store. They would write down your name and place a mark beside it. Everytime you would bring in a coyote, they would put another mark by your name. They would also clip the toenails from the hind left foot to mark the coyote. I April they would tally up the number of coyotes checked in and divide the $1500 by that total. They would then mail out checks to the hunters. In 1979, I got $7.50 bounty on each coyote I checked and since it was a good fur year, averaged $50-$55 per pelt.

I kow with the fur industry now, chances of getting $50 for a coyote hid are slim and none, but that winter, I made about $7000 from coyotes and trapping raccoons.

7. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

The bleeding hearts would never let it fly

Look at the stupid wolf re population, they sit in their little world inside of a city and think that anything that happens to a poor animal is cruel

8. BigBadBob

BigBadBob TS Member

You are absolutely correct catpower. As an example, here in the st.Louis area, there is a municipality called Town and Country. The area turned over a few years ago and most all the lots are at least a 1/2 acre ranging to 3 acres. It is a very nice area with huge homes, and huge yards. ( read expensive) I'm guessing median home values in excess of $500,000.

Several years ago they had a huge whitetail deer problem. Vehicle/deer collisions, the deer were eating any and everything in peoples yards and gardens. They complained to the Conservation Department. The department said the only way to solve the problem was by allowing bowhunters to harvest the deer. Well, the majority of the owners stated thet wasn't feasible. They did not want the deer killed. They hired a company from Texas to come up and trap the deer for relocation outstate. The conservation monitored the trapping and relocating and low and behold, more deer died in the trapping and transporting than would have if they had allowed hunting.

Now several years later, they are having problems again. They have hired the company White Buffalo ( from thr east coast) to come in with sharpshooters to cull the deer.

the other day the bleeding hearts held a candlelight vigil, for the DEER.

9. Claymuncher

Claymuncher Member

So the states that have bounties have been in place forever?

CM

10. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

One county in Minnesota has just put the bounty back on.

11. Claymuncher

Claymuncher Member

"David Trauba, DNR Lac qui Parle Area Supervisor, said he believes bounty programs are "ineffective" and do not change the coyote population in a locality."

And this is a DNR supervisor??? I can see what a battle it would take to get one going from scratch.

They are only offereing $10.00 a head, I think it would take at least $30.00 to be an incentive.

CM

12. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Michigan had a bounty on coyotes when I was a kid. It was 25.00 I believe. I think they also paid more for females?

13. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA TS Supporters TS Supporters

I trapped coyotes for two winters, back inthe early 80's. Used cyanide. Pelts got down to $10 and I quit. Coyotes here,west of Amarillo, have had the mange for about 7-8 years. Hasn't gone away yet. Sometimes you see a good one, but they are thin here. Charlie Henderson

14. ctreay

ctreay Member

Here in NY most of the local sportsmens clubs belong to the state conservation council. We have many chances to propose new laws or to change old laws throughout the year. Perhaps your local Fish & Game clubs also have a similar group. Try your luck with them.

ctreay

15. squirrelkiller

squirrelkiller TS Member

There's a bounty on all furbearers - pelt price. When I was growing up many people trapped and ran dogs. We always had lots of fur to catch every year, and we had Quail all over. Now there is LOTS of fur and no Quail. Trapping is becoming a lost art. My boys and I trap alot. We don't do it for the money (although it does add up), we do it because we like to and it really helps keep the critters in check.

Rod

16. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I believe that nature comes to its own balance. It's actually a very simple graph. If you have a high prey population, you will have a high predator population. But, if you REALLY want to control an unwanted species, then a progressive bounty is by far the most effective. It's based on greed and it's guaranteed to decimated any living creature.

17. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

I am with Tron on this one. When all of the rabbits, rodents and other vermin take over and start chewing up everything in sight, are you going to put a bounty on those too. I think just the normal harvest from the predator hunters should be enough to control them.

BBB,

Maybe you should introduce a few wolves. From what I hear they will kill every deer in the area. Jon

18. BigBadBob

BigBadBob TS Member

STL Flyn,

I was not advocating a bounty, I was explaining how the one worked where I grew up. I do not agree that a bounty on coyotes would decimate the species. People are not going to start hunting coyotes just because there could be a bounty offered. The coyote population has exploded nation-wide the last few years. Part of the problem is the fact that the State-run Conservation Departments were so successful in the deer management business that there are more deer. Tron was right, the predator population will check itself with the availability of food. More prey animals, more predators. Another reason coyotes have gained such a high population is fur prices. It is not profitable to hunt coyotes when in the old days when you harvested a coyote there were small bounties and there was a market for their hides.

It is not just about coyotes either. there are more raccoons, possums, foxes also. There is hardly any market for their fur either. These small prdators were never hunted for meat, although people do eat coon and possum. I don't believe coyotes and foxes make good table-fare. The only reason they were hunted was for their fur or they were raiding the hen-house or pig lot.

As far as introducing wolves to solve the deer problems, I doubt that is a good idea in most places. Look at the problems that have been going on where they have re-introduced wolves.

The only predator that predator fears is man, and when they don't fear man, there is a problem.

I remember readind an article back in the early 80's when California outlawed mountain lion hunting, mostly due to pressure from anti- hunters. After a few years when there were more and more lions and they started eating a few hikers and house pets and the game department had to start shooting the problem cats, they ended up killing more than if they had left the hunting season intact.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

coyote bounty texas county henderson