1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Coydog.. coyote crossed with dog

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by blkcloud, Feb 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

Here is a picture of a coydog killed last saturday by a couple of young hunters, one of which is on my trap team!..they called it in with a remote controlled caller.. I didnt see it personally but they said the head looked like a mules head.. probably crossed with a pitbull!
    [​IMG]

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

Coyote X Domestic Dog is not uncommon. As Coyotes invade urban areas, I suspect it will become more common.

Pat Ireland

3. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

I've got a buddy that hunts coyote's for their pelts and says that it is almost impossible to find a pure bred coyote in some parts of the country, I can't remember what it was, but I think that he said a pure bred coyote has white hair on it's belly, if it isn't pure white it's part dog is one way to tell, but I may be be mistaken

4. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

Domestic dogs let out at night will run with Coyotes to chase game in some areas. Cross breading is not that uncommon. Post-2

5. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I agree with David P. Dogs gone wild have less fear of humans than coyotes and can be more dangerous! Both coyotes and wolves will become dangerous to people when their normal food supply dwindles. Both species will target pets first and even hunting dogs in the step toward targeting humans as a food source. Wolves are adapting well and killing livestock as the chase is easier all over the west through the northern climes to include the northern portion of the upper peninsula in MI. There's not enough room for the numbers of wolves and they are spreading like wildfire across the countryside. Many more than the Dept's of fish and game stated was an allowable number in every state they were stocked! It will get much worse long before the problem is addressed and fixed. It seems we've allowed the do gooder idiots to set the precedence for wolf numbers rather than a common sense approach.

Hap

6. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

The wolf (including the dingo and domestic dog), coyote, and jackal, all have 78 chromosomes arranged in 39 pairs. This allows them to hybridise freely (barring size or behavioural constraints) and produce fertile offspring.

The domestic dog (Canis lupus familiaris) is a domesticated form of the Grey Wolf (Canis lupus lupus), and therefore belongs to the same species as other wolves such as the Dingo (Canis lupus dingo). Therefore crosses between these sub-species are unremarkable, and not a hybridization in the same sense as an interbreeding between different species of Canidae.

There is no genetic difference between a male coyote/female dog breeding and a male dog/female coyote breeding, but two separate terms have been invented, coydog and dogote, for unknown reasons. A major difference between the two is logically the birthplace of the offspring: a female coyote would give birth in the wild and a female dog, unless feral itself, would give birth domestically.

7. EE

EE Banned User Banned

No, it's not a myth. It happens.

EE

8. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

Of course it happens. I have seen it on several occasions and have been told by DNR people that the off spring of a coyote and dog normally get larger than either parent and usually display more intelligence. I killed a coyote in 2001, at least I think that was the year, that weighed 62 pounds and was the second largest pure coyote turned into the Indiana DNR that year. The big male was killed on the Indiana Army Ammo Plant.

9. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Years ago a friend of mine living in Northern BC Canada had two crosses of canine. One was Shepard dog crossed with a wolf and was dumber than a bag of doorknobs. The other was a dog crossed with a coyote and was considerably smarter. I wouldn't trust either one of them.

10. pheasantmaster

pheasantmaster Well-Known Member

In my past, late 60's, there was a male cross that didn't enjoy the encounter with myself. I didn't realize what I had shot and my godparent informed me to its origin. We had a game warden friend that verified it. It was larger than a german sheperd ofwhich the cross came. Wish I had taken a photo.

11. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I think where the crosses come from mainly is from dog packs gone wild, that rather than coyotes coming into neighborhoods and breeding with dogs!

I lost a bitch dog to coyotes when I lived in CA. She was in heat and dug under her kennel fence to get out. I found what was left of her remains about a half a mile from the house near a dry creek bed. Coyote packs are looking for food when they come into the neigborhoods, not looking for something to breed! Yes, they will cross breed but not nearly as much as thought. I'm more concerned with feral dogs than coyotes but wolves is an entirely different matter when they run out of food prey!

Hap

12. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

They very well kill other dogs, but where we are, I haven't heard of anybodies dogs being killed by yotes. Our closest neighbor is about a mile away, and we get alot of yotes around here, and have friends who shoot them, as I shoot AT them, AT being the operative word.

And my buddies who are very seasoned hunters who I would believe very well know the animals quite well, seeing some have been hunting them for over 50 years, claim that to find a pure bred yote around here (NE Texas) is getting rarer every year, that alot have dog genes in their pools

13. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

My dad had a cross between a coyote and a small colley. My Aunt, from a ranch in in the sticks of Western Texas said there were no other dogs except her female colley within 30 miles of the ranch. My dad got the only pup. Mickey sure looked like a coyote.

14. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Still looks like a dog.

Also looks like they hit it with a truck!

<center>
    [​IMG]
    </center>

MK

15. maka

maka Member

Early 2009: A couple of guys who were friends shot what they thought was a coyote. It turned out it was a grey wolf. When they realized what they shot they called DNR warden. They explained it was runing with other coyotes. to make a long story short: they were charged with shooting an endangered species. This occured in NE WI. where supposedly no wolf existed.

16. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

My friends Dalmation was in heat and coyotes killed her and partially devoured her. She was tied up at her dog house in Marion County Ohio 2 years ago.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

17. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Dang that thing looks mangy.

18. hammer-time

hammer-time TS Member

Conservation officers are like any other trade. Sometimes they have no clue what their talking about in different situations. Saying a coyote won't cross with a domestic dog is absurd! Coyotes are more discretionary in choosing a mate than domestic dogs but thats common in most wild animals compared to domesticated. I've coon hunted and rabbit & squirrel hunted with dogs for over 40 years and have known of their existence since then. We've killed multiple animals out of the same pack on several occasions. with some being coy/dog crosses and others being full blooded coyote. In the spring when females have offspring, the females get very aggressive! Several times we have had dogs come in bleeding from their hind quarters, mostly around the testicle area. Just last year, dad lost a mountain cur squirrel dog that ran free on his property due to coyote attack. Ripped his sack open and gangreen had set in by the time dad found him days later and the vet was unable to save him.

19. EE

EE Banned User Banned

You're right, hammer-time. The rabbit sheriffs at the DNR in SC will look you straight in the face and tell you coyotes don't eat wild turkeys, and other such nonsense. In their defense though, most of them can count to 2 when they're checking your gun on the dove fields, so they're not complete idiots.

EE

20. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Coyotes don't eat wild turkeys? ROTFLMAO.

Coyotes will eat anything that's edible, and anything they can catch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
are coyote dogs crosses aggressive
coydog
coydog pitbull

coyote crossed with dog

coyotes crossed with dogs
does a coydog yelp when chasing game or rabbits
how do you trap coydog
olf crossed with dogs coyote living in packs in city