1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cowboy Ammo

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Barry C. Roach, Mar 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I was watching some of the Cowboy Action shooting today and wondered if they use lead.

2. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

If you mean exibition shooting, like cowboy horseback, those are blanks. Cowboy action is real lead. They have and fiercly enforce rules about their gun handling.

3. Lobo

Lobo TS Member

Fun game. Big boys with real toys.

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Lead bullets are required for cowboy action shooting. Smokeless or blackpowder is at your option, but those are separate classes. Most shooters use blackpowder, because it is traditional.

Probably the most popular cartridge is the 45 Colt, even though it was never originally chambered in a lever action rifle. The only large cartridge in those days that was chambered in both a handgun and a rifle is the .44-40, and to a much lesser extent, the .38-40.

At the time I was doing cowboy action shooting, the Marlin 1894 Cowboy rifle was only available in .45 Colt, as were Schofield revolvers.

If I had to do it again, I'd go with a rifle and handguns chambered for the .32-20. It's a matter of economics. The .32-20 uses half the amount of lead and half the amount of powder per cartridge.

Shotgun ammo is most often smokeless, and is usually cheap Wally World promo loads. Some are loading their own with blackpowder, but blackpowder for shotguns is definitely in the minority for most shooters. Gauges are 10, 12 and 16 for adults. Kids can soot 20 ga. I don't know if 410 is allowed today for kids or not. 12 ga rules these events. The 10 ga is predominately used in the 1901 Winchester lever action. This is one of the few shooting sports where the 16 ga is common, mainly because of so many old side by side shotguns made in 16 ga, as well as many Winchester 1897 pumps. No steel shot is allowed, loads must be lead.

5. dverna

dverna Active Member

Most fast guns are shooting .38 Spl.

105-130 gr lead bullets at 650-700 fps.

Don Verna

6. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Mostly modified Ruger single action revolvers.

ss

7. Church Key

Church Key TS Member

On the pistols, it's a split between Rugers and Colt/Colt clones. Both are popular. Bullets are all lead with a 1000 FPS max for pistol; 1400 FPS for rifle. Most folks load well below that.

Shotgun loads are usually 7-1/2 or smaller due to range rules, as larger shot beats up the steel targets and bounces back big time at the short target distances. There is almost a tie between use of Win. 97 and 97 clones, and SXS'. I'd say the Cowboy market has doubled up the price of Browning BSS and SKB SXS shotguns. There is also a market for Win. 1887 clones. I got one and it's a lesson in frustration to load and shoot fast; no wonder the 97 replaced it.

Also, the fastest rifle is a Uberti (Italian) copy of the Win. 73 or 66. Marlins are next in line, with everything else like Win. 94's far behind.

CAS is an excellent sport for the manufacturers as a shooter needs two pistols, a rifle, shotgun, leather, gun cart, reloading equipment (pistol calibers at least) with many getting MEC 600's for lite shotgun loads. We even use a 12 Gr. Clays, 3/4 oz. 12 Ga. load. It keeps the small/lite framed folks in the game. It's a speed event, with lots of transitions between guns, so lighter guns are necessary.

The bottom line - Getting into CAS is not for the faint of wallet.

8. Lobo

Lobo TS Member

I am getting old and not many places to shoot close. Would sell some cowboy guns. Norinco 1887 12 ga. Original good Winchester 1897,Tru Choked. Uberti 1866 carbine in 44-40, Old Model Ruger, blue 5 1/2, 45 colt, Old model Ruger 3 1/2, 45 colt.Original 1892 Carbine, loop lever, 44-40, antique.

9. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Thanks folks.

10. AJKohler

AJKohler Member

Brian in Oregon, it's true that the .32-20 sends a lot less lead downrange at each shot. Trust me, though, when you lose cases (worst in a lost-brass match, where if it hits the ground it's theirs), that's LOTS worse than, say, .45LC.

Also got some cowboy guns to sell, a pair of Turnbull Cowboy Classics, .44Spl., 4-3/4" bbls, with complete leather set, original Winchester 1892 rifle in .32-20 with ammo, brass, lead, dies and such. They're on GunsAmerica.

Got a guy who's said he'd buy my 1887 Aussie; I'm waiting to see if he follows through. It's one of 50 purportedly made.

Tony

11. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I was told by a Cowboy Action shooter that they use corn meal in the shells they use when breaking balloons from on Horse back ..? Like drive by shooting from horse back ... This lady and her no deceased Husband shot Cowboy shoots for many years ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.