1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

COWBOY ACTION

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Ruck, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

JUst curious....anyone on here shoot Cowboy Action??

Ken Rucker

2. AJKohler

AJKohler Member

I used to. Got bored with the rubber-stamp nature of stages month after month.

There are some very nice clubs - I was very impressed the time I shot in Rexburg, ID - and there are a bunch of clubs operating in places where they have to set up each month and have no permanent facilities.

Either one works, but when each stage seems like the last month, or the last stage, with just a tweak or two, it gets real old real quick.

And I found that I wasn't as turned on by the Old West as I thought I was.

So my pistols, one of my rifles, and my remaining shotgun are all on GunsAmerica. Beautiful pistols and leather, very nice rifle, and a really unique shotgun.

Tony

3. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Gave it up 15 years ago. I did enjoy the guns and wearing the period clothing but found the sport was becoming too much like IPSC in many ways.

I still have a nice collection of single action pistols that I enjoy shooting and the short barrel M97 I used for the game became a favorite quail getter.

For what I understand, SASS is still the fastest growing shooters organization. If you are interested, I'm sure you could find a match close to where you live and give it a whirl. The cowboy action shooters are generally very generous and welcoming folks that treat new comers well. Gearing up to play the game will cost about $2K but so does trap shooting.

4. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

I thought I might like it until I saw it on TV. Having read many years of the Tombstone Epitaph on microfiche and studied western history, I decided that the "scenarios" they were using bore no resemblance to the old west plus I don't like to "play dress up". I suggested to a friend who is into it that maybe they should have a scenario where someone sneaks up to a man on a chair opening a wall safe and shoots him in the head (we'll call it the Jesse James scenario), or comes up behind a poker player and shoots him in the back of the head (that would be called "wild Bill"). He failed to see the humor. I also think that squib loads should be banned and full house mandated. Other than that, I think the guys are having fun and more power to them. Anything to get more people shooting and sharing the fun.

5. mollyone

mollyone TS Member

if you go to the grand check out their cowboy range

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I used to. I'm not aware of any cowboy shoots near me that don't require a motel stay.<br>
    <br>
    And yeah, cowboy shoots are full of ex-IPSC shooters, because they got fed up with IPSC devolving from "realistic" combat shooting to nothing more than a hardware race.<br>
    <br>
    It's going to require some outlay to get into cowboy shooting. Two handguns, a shotgun, a rifle and often a small pocket pistol. Buying used can cut the costs.<br>
    <br>
    I never wore much of the "authentic" period clothes. A western shoot, blue jeans, cowboy boots and a buckskin jacket. No one ever said anything to me that I wasn't being authentic. To get back into cowboy shoots, I'd probably have to buy a new pair of cowboy boots. I wore my other pair out.<br>
    <br>
    It's tough coming up with new courses of fire when clubs have done this for years. I've seen some really imaginative stages, but that also depends on whether new faces are helping out, or one guy is doing it without any help. Often the latter is typical at many clubs.<br>
    <br>
    What I liked about cowboy shoots is that I got to shoot some of my favorite guns at them. Especially the rifles. Particularly in the side matches, with 45-70 lever guns, single shots, and other blackpowder cartridges. At the time I also did a lot of hunting with blackpowder cartridges too, from varminting to coyoting to big game.<br>
    <br>
    Don't let anyone tell you cowboy shoots aren't fun. But you get out of them what you put in.

7. Church Key

Church Key TS Member

It's my primary shooting hobby. An excellent excuse to buy a bunch of guns, reload a lot, get out of the house, and even go shoot. The standard match around here (WV/MD/PA) consists of six stages,each requiring about 10 rounds of rifle, 10 rounds of pistol (two guns), and 4/6 rounds of shotgun for mostly steel knockdown targets. It takes most of the day as we usually have 50-100 shooters at a match with about 16 or so on a posse (shooting group). I go to a match or two every weekend. I even run a monthly match on the third Tuesday for the old pharts like myself.

Equipment in addition to the guns requires holsters, cart, hat and boots. Shooters usually end up with a Dillon press of some sort and a MEC Jr. to load 7/8 oz. 12 ga. shells (keeps the recoil down). Most guns have action jobs, so the gunsmiths love cowboy shooters. The shotguns are usually cheap SXS's like Stoger coachguns, Win. 97's/Chinese clones, though Win. 1887 clones are becoming somewhat popular. The top-of-the line SXS's used in cowboy shooting are the old used Miroku's (Daly 500 or BSS) ot SKB's. The long guns take a beating as they get slammed onto props like tables or hay bales, etc.

It is a game of transitions because you are moving from gun to gun. Just like all shooting sports, practice helps a lot. Many of the shooters in my area are couples as it's something they can do together.

The prizes are usually bragging rights, never any $$$, so there is no incentive for professional shooters.

I started trap a few years ago and only shoot practice trap during the week. BTW - Got a Bumpbuster a while back; one of the best upgrades I ever have done.

8. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

Hey, CK ....glad you like the Bump-Buster!! If you go to my website and click on the Cowboy link, you'll see that the new Auto-Buster (with the addition of a leather boot ) is the only recoil system approved for SASS competition. It was approved by both the Wild Bunch and the Territorial Governors at the EOT this year. I'll be traveling to some nearby matches to do stockwork and promote it in the near future. I have all the toys......a pair of Ruger New Vaqueros, a completely tricked out '73, a tricked out BSS, and a Shiloh Sharps in.45/90. I have a great mentor and am looking forward to shooting as well as working at the matches.

Ken

9. nsrailroad

nsrailroad Member

I use to. They wouldn't let me use my Buck Rogers Ray Gun.

10. AAfan

AAfan TS Member

Started in 94 and still do it. Cowboy shooting is the reason I reload, cast bullets, and a extra safe full o' goodies!

I get to shoot stuff I never would otherwise, I shoot percussion and have LeMats, Colt Walkers, Third Model Dragoons, etc, including a pair of every style Colt Cartridge Conversions...

Most people who shot CAS do it for the fun and socialization aspects. That's why I do it. Sure there are the ultracompetive types but they are there in every hobby.

I dress Authentic but you can dress in B Movie get ups, or just about anything you want. My wife does it too and we enjoy shooting with friendly folks in a fun setting...

I always tell people go to a local shoot first, watch what people shoot and feel free to ask to try some. Save ya having to go through stuff before you decide what you want to use.

Here's me having fun...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8Ca22Ds37I

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.