1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Couple q's for young shooter

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Steve V, Oct 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve V

Steve V TS Member

Couple q

My son started shooting trap for his high school as a freshman this past spring. He seemed to do pretty well, averaging 21.5. He has been shooting clays in general a little over a year.

We did an early college visit to a school and the college shooting coach indicated that he should get a gun dedicated to the trap shooting and keep his existing gun for sporting clays, 5 stand, skeet and international skeet. At the college level he needs to be able to shoot trap, Olympic trap and doubles. The coach recommended a raised rib dedicated trap gun.

So, having laid all this out, two issues:

First, gun recommendations. He is in his growth spurt now and starting to lift weights in earnest, but for now his 5'9" and 145 pounds. He demo'd some larger guns like Kolars and Krieghoffs O/U's and felt they were quite bulky/heavy. He did like a Zoli O/U he demo'd. Would it make sense to get him an unsingle, raised rib gun for now with the idea of adding an o/u barrel for that gun down the road when he reaches college? For now he is shooting singles in high school competition. He is also a lefty.

Second, any recommendations of a trap instructor in the Midwest? We are in Minnesota, but happy to road trip. My thought would be to get some help with gun fit for the new purchase and then some trap shooting instruction as well.

Thanks!

Steve V

2. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

How about a Browning XT unsingle combo (just happen to have a brand new one for sale)

3. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

What is he shooting now? College is three years off, and if he is still growing, he'll need a different gun fit after he stops growing. Get him a BT-99 and some lessons. Mark

4. Steve V

Steve V TS Member

He's shooting a Benelli SA with a flat rib. The coach stressed that he needs to learn to shoot over a raised rib for the trap disciplines. I did kick around the idea of getting him a BT-99, but can't tell easily from the Browning website whether this comes in lefty or is just neutral, and I hate the idea of buying something that I already know I am going to replace down the line...

Thanks for the help. Any ideas on instructors?

Steve

5. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

WOW I remember those days... there is no one gun HAHAHA... I went thru 3 guns and barrel lengths to accomadate the growth spirts of my daughter.. its a cycle till they have stopped growing... did BT99 then citori with 26 inch barrels then an xs with 28" then finally a XT with 30 inch with extended chokes. ALL fit the bill at the time..
    Better be a good gun trader HAHA
    Good luck..They grow up Quick !!!! i really miss those days !!!!!

WesleyB

6. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Thicker pads, a gracoil recoil reducer and other devices will add length of pull for a growing student. So I wouldn't worry too much about that.

It takes a season or two to get used to a new gun and start shooting it well so I would get some thing he could use for an extended p eriod of time. I had the Browning XT un-single combo which is a nice gun. I now shoot a Caesar Guerini which is also a nice gun. Or you could go to a higher end gun but try some out if you can.

Bill

7. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

I don't know what the coach's preoccupation with a "raised rib" is. I agree with shooting a trap gun for trap, but not all trap guns have significantly raised ribs, especially in Olympic Trap. Google "Trap Shooters images" and look at the variety of trap guns used. Is he commited to going to that particular college? You might be better off doing some more research and shooting a variety of guns, checking with a variety of expert shooters. What really sets modern American Trap guns apart is having a POI above the POA, to shoot rising targets. Mark

8. SD Trap Family

SD Trap Family TS Supporters TS Supporters

Go with a Browning XT Combo. You will not regret doing so. Great gun.

IF you get out to the Rapid City SD area let us know. Have a couple young men who would be glad to work with your son.

Send us PM if you have any questions

Bud, Char, Foster and Matt Bartholow

9. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

First off I'd have concerns about any coach telling you your son he has to have a High ribed gun!!! Next if you would like to get your son a Trap combo set type of gun I too would recommend a Browning trap combo like the XT Trap. Now here may be your best advice as of yet. Look at getting your son a PFS stock made by Vern Brown. This stock is totally adj. in every way and you can get them in Left or right handed. You can add lenth of pull as he needs it, adj. the comb as he needs it, adj. the total weight and move it around in the stock. Keep the factory wood from the gun and store it in a safe place. If his interest fades you can place the original wood stock back on and sell gun with a nice uncut stock, and sell the PFS seperatly and get all your money back out of the PFS. Vern's # is (719) 547-4432 or Cell # is (719) 250-7727. Give Vern a call to find out just what guns you can use his system on so you can look for one of these types of guns. You'll be glad you did and your son will be too. Good Luck and break em all. Jeff

10. Roger Brenner

Roger Brenner Member

Pull and Mark gave you some excellant advice. When I was looking back on several years of cutting, spacing, raising, lengthening and changing many stocks during my shotgun "crew chiefing" days, I arrived at a similar opinion as Pull and Mark if I had to do over again. Young shooters will hit growth spurts and you cannot hardly keep up with gun stock adjustments. Neck length is often overlooked in a young shooter.

We were never concerned with "pretty", we shot stocks with a lot of crude looking adjustments but we just worried about fit and poi. You have to learn to become your childs personal gun fitter (crew chief) during the youth shooting years. Enjoy! great times.

11. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

The XT would be a good choice for a quality gun without the weight of others that you initially mentioned. I would buy an O/U first and a top single combo second.

Both Leo and Harlan get into your area. You should seriously consider the Bartholows invite.

12. Steve V

Steve V TS Member

Do either of the Brownings recommended--the XT combo or the BT-99, come for lefty's? I have looked at the Browning website and it does not seem to indicate one way or the other...

Thanks

Steve

13. Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson Well-Known Member

Look at used Perazzi's, there are no Browning XT's in the olympics. 12 of 15 gold medals were won by people shooting Perazzi shotguns. Seems Olmpic trap the bird is faster, you do not want a barrel heavy gun if you need to move fast, XT's and Kreighoffs are barrel heavy guns for American trap. MHO your mileage may vary.
    Keep in mind the criteria he asked "At the college level he needs to be able to shoot trap, Olympic trap and doubles. The coach recommended a raised rib dedicated trap gun." Scott

14. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

What ever gun you choose, buy it as a used gun - this way you won't be out much if anything when it comes time for an upgrade.

A decent short list should include the Browning XT and the Beretta 682 both of which are available as combos and with left handed stocks. Hold off on the high buck guns until your son gains more experience and you get a better idea what is working for him.

If you get serious about buying, I have a left handed 682xTrap 34"/32" combo with an adjustable comb in very good condition that I would sell at a fair price. This gun is a top single with the standard rib configuration. (not exactly the high rib unsingle that the coach was recomending)

15. coveybuster

coveybuster Member

Browning XT combo or Beretta 682 / 687 combo.

Both come lefty, and can be had in top or bottomsingle configurations and different barrel lengths.

16. Carl Chadwell

Carl Chadwell TS Member

Steve,

Whichever gun you choose, go with a gun that can be used for all three events. Also, get one that you won't be afraid to alter, because you are going to have to with a growing son. I agree with Roger above, only be concerned about "gun fit", and not "gun looks". Remember, you'll be going to clay-shooting events, not gun shows. ;)

I'm a very rare breed, in that I've shot every year since I was 10 years old, and I'll be 50 next May. That said, take Bud Bartholow up on the offer of his sons helping yours. Both Foster and Matt are phenomenal talents...And in my opinion, having your son work with either of them (at this stage in your son's development) would be the way to go.

peace.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.