1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Couple of comments on Ohio State

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Chocolateman, Jun 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chocolateman

Chocolateman Member

Apr 6, 2009
    I have been reading a couple of threads both positive and negative on the Ohio State Shoot and I wanted to add my own thoughts and comments.

This was our first trip to Ohio to shoot @ the Cardinal Center. We had heard a lot about this facility and were very excited to see it for the first time.

We were not disappointed. We stayed @ the campgrounds, had a great site with picnic table and fire pit and even trees. The washrooms and showers were clean and handy. Lots of hot water in the morning and @ night.

I shot @ banks 2,3,6,7,8,11 and 12. And the only one that may have caused a sightline issue was # 6, however, I will not use that as an excuse for my poor shooting performance.

Trap staff was friendly and helpful, having supervisors for each bank was helpful and kept things moving along.

Doubles on Sunday morning was interesting, I have not been @ this game for very long, but even I could tell that someone had not set those targets correctly. It appeared the speed was off and the right target would drop like a stone. Everyone in my group made comments about it; however, no one made an official complaint? And from what I heard that seemed to be the general response thru-out the day.

Opening the registration doors @ 7:30 am was great; however, if you have staff in the building @ 7:00 and it looks like everyone is ready to go @ 7:20, why not open a little early? And get the early risers thru a little faster. If that is not possible, may I suggest adding two more terminals for payment? The bottleneck was not @ classification or registration, but @ payment. Allowing payment via VISA/charge card would also be a nice option.

Target fees deduction for juniors would be appreciated (the whole week and not just Monday). I shot @ the Pennsylvania State the week before they offered incentive target pricing thru-out the week for juniors. I have two teenagers involved in Trap shooting and it is expensive. (Our fee for Saturday and Sunday was over $170 each day). Add a couple more days and we have an expensive week.

When I was networking with other shooters and told them I had my two kids shooting with me, they all thought it was great and wonderful. 9 times out of 10 the second thing out of their mouth was how the heck could I afford to pay for them?

Youth is the future of this sport; we need incentives for parents to keep them involved.

Adding a printer for scores would also be a nice addition. I saw many people swiping cards and then madly writing down their scores for the week on a sheet of paper before the scores disappeared from the screen. (Caused another bottleneck @ that desk).

Lots of comments on Golf Carts and teenager drivers. I was there from Thursday thru Sunday and I was one who rented a cart. From my experience and from what I saw, I would recommend some of the senior ATA members need to take a “Golf cart 101 refresher course” on how to drive. I lost count on the # of times I was cut off by senior ATA member making a hard left or right without looking, senior ATA members stopping in the middle of the road (again without looking to see who is behind) to have a chat with an old friend and not caring they were blocking the road.

From my experience the issue was not the young people driving and how they were driving, it was the older generation (which I am part of).

My scorecard
    Facility – A+

Staff – A +

Admin/Payment – B+

Experience A +

Overall = A

Well done and we will be back again

2. wdr-NY

wdr-NY TS Member

Jul 29, 2008
    Good post...
  3. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Aug 30, 2007

I agree with all the above, especially the golf cart thing.

I dodged those things too many years at Vandalia. This was the worst year yet.

As for Juniors, they should shoot for half price anywhere period.

With these new machines they set for doubles very quickly with the device they put on the front of the machine. Problem is I didnt see anyone standing outside checking them.

Good constructive criticism.

4. perga1

perga1 Active Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Spot on!
  5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    If the doubles targets were not set right why would you shoot them before getting them reset? HMB
  6. kaufmands

kaufmands TS Member

Jan 29, 1998
    I set targets at my gun club for 30 years- at the Ohio State Shoot for 11 years and the Grand American for 1 year. Trapsetting is not a science, but rather an art. Sunday's weather (per my computer)said wind 10 to 20 mph. What my computer did not tell me was when the wind would start. The trapsetters set the targets when there was no wind, however different wind directions require different settings and the wind progressed the entire day. Conditions went from calm to winds in excess of 35 mph during the course of the day. Our trapsetters worked hard and were very conscientious about having everyone shoot legal targets. My special thanks to Ron, Tom, Adam and Toby for a job well done as indicated by the high scores all week. Aden Kaufman
  7. shamlin

shamlin Member

Jan 26, 2009
    Boerne, TX
    I also attended my first shoot at the Cardinal Center and was fairly impressed. The targets were very nice for the mnost part. Yea Sundays doubles were a little off, but they were for everyone which made it challenging. I too agree with the youth shooters expense. I have 3 kids shooting and I just can't afford to take them all. Two things that I would like to see improved upon is; they need a large Bank Board that shows all banks and at least 5 to 6 squad numbers deep. Not all banks run in the same harmonious way so the ready number on the TV was 50% accurate at best. This would cut down on alot of the congestion at banks where multiple squads were waiting to shoot. The other is the CEB building closed way too early every day. Other than that.....what a kick butt facility.
  8. Nutnbutsmoke

Nutnbutsmoke Member

Oct 16, 2007
    I too agree about the youth shooting I have one of my sons that shoots with me and I have been able to afford it because of his lower cost of targets. When we squaded up for Saturdays singles and I was told it would be full price for my son as well it hit the wallet hard and took away some extra lewis money and another bag of shot we could have used. I have shot at a club before were they make an option, if you class as a junior you get half cost but you are not able to play any of the money option games, or if you want to play the money games you pay normal adult price. I thought that was fair not every youth is at a level for competing for the option money so they don't pay it anyway, and it free's up some of the parents budgit for getting youth started.
  9. shootman

shootman TS Member

Nov 5, 2007
    This was my fourth year at Card. Cent. for buckeye classic, state shoot, and card. classic, as a shooter, SCTP coach,and grandfather of a now seventeen year old shooter. I do agree on discount birds for youth shooters whether they play option or not. Ialso agree that the cashier and payout lines need to be seperated from class. and squading. [ not enough room]. The only other problem i encountered was teenage kids driving golf carts through our campsite. On the flip side of the coin i was there the first year in the mud shooting and i can say from that time till now the Fishburn group and the osta have done a fantastic job. As far as they have come in four years if they keep going i think it will be the no. one shooting facility in the country. Bob Kerekes
  10. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Jun 24, 2009
    I think NBS has it just right: if the kid is old-/good- enough to cash an options check, he has no business accepting a subsidy.

and/or why would the parent allow the kid to do so?

Recognising and accepting consequential choices seems both equitable and absolutely responsible.

11. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Oxford MA
    I am just curious as to the reason that this report was written. There are 50 state shoots a year and no one write a report on the rest. Yet some disgruntled Ohio shooter starts a thread on how wonderful the state of Ohio's shoot was and we get rating from every Tom, Dick and Harry that comes along.

Give it a rest every state has a state shoot and we don't get a written report on all of them. So why Ohio?

Bob Lawless
  12. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski TS Member

Jan 29, 1998
    It's so good you'd think they had the Grand in their future plans.
  13. dverna

dverna Active Member

Jan 29, 1998
    It's called SALESMANSHIP!!!!

How many State shoots have maintained or increased attendance.

Fishburn will not be happy unless he makes money. He will not invest if attendance does not increase. He does not appear to be stupid.

Mike, as Grand attendance drops there is no need for 120+ fields. But I do not see Fishburn expanding past where is now (52 fields?) unless he can attract more shooters - and that will be difficult to do. There is a lot of equipment and taxable land that sits idle much of the year. The next few years will be interesting.

Don Verna
  14. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2007
    Fishburn must have liked what he saw last year since he added 3 Banks. Word is he's also negotiating with the NSCA on a premier sporting clays course.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.