1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Counterfeit Pigeon Grade ????

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Bocephas, Jan 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bocephas

Bocephas Well-Known Member

It's to bad someone butchered up a gun like that.

Bo

2. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

That one looks to be the "mocking bird" grade? Some years ago I saw one in southern Ca. that looked more like a chicken than a pigeon. It was thought to be a Mexican pigeon grade? :) Hap

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

I find the pigeon quite interesting. Factory pigeons were engraved without any detail. This pigeon has stippling, wing feathers and the wing is extended into a curve. The bill appears to be missing, or that might just be a photography problem. Is it possible that some engraver tried to dress up a factory pigeon? It is difficult for me to believe that an engraver would attempt to counterfeit a pigeon and put in so much detail that that was not on the original.

Pat Ireland

4. bundy4

bundy4 Member

DR BILL, Yes the pigeon does look real bad but after all the factory engravers were just working by the hour. I saw the rest of the gun on the auction site and the stock is checkered in the factory standard pigeon pattern. Also the bolt and carrier are jeweled, standard on model 12 pigeon grade guns. My take on that pigeon is that it was engraved on a Monday or a Friday. All the best, Ray

5. sx1skeet

sx1skeet TS Member

this gun is wrong as rain bishop wood and all

6. smifshot

smifshot TS Member

When I was about 30 I had a very nice model 12 skeet gun. I carried it to a loc al jeweler who was a great engraver. to put a pigeon on it. I went back in about 3 weeks and he fetched the gun and lo and behold if had the best looking wood duck on it you ever saw. His comment was "but a wood duck looks so much better than a plain ole pigeon." Sure screwed my plans.
    Fred

7. bundy4

bundy4 Member

This gun is for sale on Gunbroker. It is NOT my gun but this is a factory trap gun with factory Winchester wood. SX1Skeet, which one are you looking at. Ray

8. sx1skeet

sx1skeet TS Member

my bad guy look at the wrong one wood might be right but the pigeon is not

9. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

Just looks like someone shot the beak of that poor dove/pigeon/ seahawk/seagull/meadowlark bird gun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.