1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

coumadin and plavix and recoil

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by pedagogue, Apr 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pedagogue

pedagogue Member

I went to a PFS stock to be on the safe side. jack

2. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

BT: I've been on Coumadin for approximately 8 years. The first few months you go through some bruising. Once your body adjusts there is no problem. I've been enjoying my shooting; with no problems whatsoever. Don't let this medication affect your life. Just watch it when using power tools and sharp objects. It's a bitch trying to get the blood to coagulate. Have fun and don't worry about it. Ed

3. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

I've been on Coumadin(warfarin) for 8 years. There is no problem as long as your INR/PT is within specs. I have never experienced any bruising or clotting problems.

You have to get your blood checked once a month, at least in my case, to make sure your clotting times (INR/PT) are within 2 and 3.

Your doctor should tell you that you have no restrictions but be sure and ask.

4. butch's90t

butch's90t Member

I've been on Warafin/Coumadin for 14 years with no problems. My dosage is 5mg for 5 days and 10mg for two. The doctors try to keep my index between 2 & 3. No bruising unless I don't eat some green veggies (vitamin K). Until last year I was shooting between 5 & 6K a year. Shoot and have fun, life's too short. HarryC

5. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

Plavix and/or Ticlid are very different from Coumadin.

I can't speak for Coumadin, but I have taken anti-platlette coagulants (Ticlid in my case...was allergic to Plavix...Ticlid is what they used before they had Plavix) and I have not had any problems with bruising from the gun.

Shaving, however, is an intesting and sometimes drawn out experience LOL

6. PODO

PODO TS Member

took them 6 mo to get me regulated on my coumadin - now on 5mg five days and 7.5 mg for two days - no probs - just watch your toddys & and salads as they will affect your Pro-Time tests - TOM

7. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

No problems with coumadin and shooting. Been taking it for over fifteen years.

Booger

8. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I have been on Coumadin since open heart surgery 11-14-02 and am not having any bruising from shooting, but hard bumps make a bruise, and the dogs TOE NAILS make me bleed once in a while, I have to watch any sharp object and my skin is thin in my old age to add to the problem. Have never had any shoulder bruising from shooting. I too am on 5mg for 3 day and 7.5 0n 4 days. They have now lowered the medical standards for the INR from 2.5 to 3.0 it used to be 3.5

I have a mechanical valve for the AORTIC artery, my old valve got calcified.
    And made a lot of NOISE. No blockages no heart attack.

Happy shooting.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

9. SARGE75X

SARGE75X Member

Thank you for starting this thread, as a Nursing student I should have thought of this myself as part of my own critical thinking. I was walking across campus just last week and got hit with shortness of breath etc. Anyways I had a deep vein thrombosis(clot) break loose and lodge in my right lung causing a Pulmonary Embolism. Now I'm on coumadin myself, I didnt think till just now about brusing/bleeding etc from shooting till right now. I'm shooting a Winchester SX1 Trap so that shouldnt be a issue but now I'm thinking about this fall hunting season, slug guns and muzzleloaders too, are out of the question recoil too heavy, switch to a handgun?? Ive got some thinking to do and I'm open to suggestions.

10. DJM

DJM Member

I take coumadin (the generic version, Warfarin) for atril fibulation and I do bruise more easily. Sometime I cannot even remember taking a bump where I bruise. But not from shooting appox. 2500 rounds/year. Early on with the drug while ice fishing I had a large nortern pike into my hole when the line broke. As I had done in the past, I instinctively grabbed it by the mouth with my bare hand. What a mess that was.

11. Texas Yankee

Texas Yankee Member

Just had three stints put in and my Doctor has me on Plavic. The only thing he told me was to get a good padded shooting vest or other device so that I will not bruise. His real concern is any internal bleeding he said that a burise will take longer to heal. So I got a Browning vest and going to shoot the Southwest Grand starting on the 16th.

12. DickG

DickG TS Member

DJM - FWIW I also took coumadin for A-Fib for over 5 years. Have you considered atrial ablation to cure the problem? It took three times to get it resolved, but I have been in sinus rhythm now for over 6 months. Hope it continues. The doctor, at my latest check-up took me off coumadin. I'd see what your cardiologist recommends.

13. RogerNRA

RogerNRA TS Member

I take a daily dose of Plavix. No problems in three years.......Roger

14. ljutic231

ljutic231 TS Member

I take 75 mg of Plavix and no problems

15. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

can you drink alcoholic beverages while on coumadin?

16. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

tracyhunter: They recommend not. I have been taking Coumadin for years. I wash the pills down with my Manhatten without any difficulty. Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.