1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Could someone please explain

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by pyrdek, Jul 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

I was wondering if someone could explain something to me.

Why, when someone suggests something a little different than the current "standard" orthodoxy, there are some who, rather than defining why not to go the new suggested route simply drop instantly to insults and attacks. Most of the time these same people never do bother to explain why the new suggestion is bad for everyone.

I can offer up a couple of examples if you wish. All have been the recipient of such non-informational attacks here in the past few months.

7/8 oz. vs the "standard" 1 1/8 oz. load
    Win AA vs. Rem STS (or GC)
    All Orange vs. NY style
    50 per field vs. 25 per field
    3 vs 2 hole
    Import vs. Domestic (shells, guns, targets, cars, beer or probably others)
    Scoring corrections
    Squadding
    Ohio vs. Illinois
    Problems at major shoots
    Reloading vs. factory shells

The problem also extends to Off topic things like:
    Republican vs. Democrat vs. 3rd Party
    Concealed carry training/licensing vs. Vermont style
    PC vs. Apple
    Troops in Iraq

I have a couple of thoughts but I want to see what others might have to say (and to see how long before this message draws a similar response).

2. chessney

chessney TS Member

<a href="http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u89/chessney1234/?action=view&current=12105292385540.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Must everyone try their luck with such a weak cast....Ziggy

3. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Unfortunately that is how it is, and as I understand it, other boards of this nature are also. We must face the fact that many of the negative comments directed at whatever topics, are done so by inexperienced, non informed, non bias, uncaring, self centered, miserable, (and others that I won't print) human beings. They wake up every morning miserable with themselves and their daily life and want to see how much negative they can impact on others!

The reason answers aren't explained is simply they don't know themselves, haven't done so, or are restricted to thinking that their way is the only way!

4. capnrico

capnrico TS Member

Pheasantmaster, You've left your shorts down around your ankles with the spelling errors. Please edit before the Mazola is applied!

5. capnrico

capnrico TS Member

Thanks for checking your cabinet.

6. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Let's all join the Rainbow Coalition so we too can get those warm, fuzzy feelings that come from being a vegatble eating, liberal democrat, no nukes, save the whales puke.

Gotta use better bait Dude!!

Curt

7. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

Pyrdek,

The answer to your question is, “cognitive dissonance.” Space nor time doesn’t permit a discussion of the term on this site; however, you can Google it or look up the term in an encyclopedia. It is real, pervasive and difficult to deal with. I have a long-time (45 years now) best friend that has a semi-fatal case of the condition.

Objectivity is a difficult trait to find in humans.

HBT

8. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Old Texas Marine,

Thank you. I followed your lead and found several articles regarding cognitive dissonance. It does indeed seem to explain, at least in part, why some posters carry on the way they do. If I could sum it up when something comes up that is contrary to what someone has been believing, their psychology gives them three options. One change their belief, justify their belief as still being reasonable or basically ignore the fact that upsets them and deny it or attempt to remove the irritating fact.

What I found interesting is that when someone is offered a small token to go against what they believe, they are more willing to go contrary to their original belief and start to promote or accept the thing they originally rejected. Could this explain why some gun owners become so willing to accept some little "trinket" and accept the remainder of what had been totally unacceptable prior to the "compromise" token being offered.

What struck me was the correlation this same cognitive dissonance shows when you consider why some people are absolutely unable to accept some of the proven information regarding gun control information. These people will go so far as to invent totally fictitious arguments just to continue to justify their position rather than accept a fact that is contrary to what they want to believe. The D.C. City Control seems to be suffering from this condition.

Like I said, I found it to be interest reading.

9. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

Pyrdek,

Kinda explains, "Ford vs. Chevy vs. Dodge," doesn't it.

BTW, you are welcome. I admire the fact that you wanted an answer bad enough to do some research. Congrats.

HBT

10. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Idiosyncratic gibberish. HMB

11. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

It's all about keeping things livley and every one thinking! Just can't be so thin skinned when you post! Now stop your whinning and go to your room!

12. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

capnrico, why don't you try applying it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.