1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Could Bad Fit Cause Fatigue?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GrandpasArms, Mar 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms Active Member

I usually start out like a pro, but fizzle right at the end of squad one. If I sit around awhile, I'll start another squad like I really know what I'm doing, then fade again.

My guns are all "off the shelf". I'm beginning to wonder if perhaps an improper fit might be accelerating fatigue, which then cause my shooting to jump the track. I'm not a kid but I do substantial exercising 3 to 4 days each week. Trap shooting is the only thing where I notice how tired I am - even after just 5 rounds.

What do you think?

Larry

2. MMcVitty

MMcVitty Member

Fit could be part of it. More likely it is your shooting form. While they do go hand in hand, you could have a gun that fits perfectly to you, but you muscle it around too much.

I went to a clinic last year and they worked on our stance and form and I saw a huge difference in my fatigue level right away. This year, as we are just starting, I have also seen a lot less fatigue because I dropped 140 lbs. My form needs improvement because everything changed with the fit of the gun so I'm having to work on that.

What type of fatigue are you suffering from? Is it your arms? Your back? Those might be fixed with stance. Are you feeling it in your face or shoulder? That could be a ill fitting gun.

3. Custer

Custer Member

Learn to relax between shots, Relax even more between rounds.

Custer

4. Bird30

Bird30 TS Member

Larry in my case it is usually low blood sugar. Need to eat something. The other thing with me is Im just too old. I don't have the staying power that I use too. :)

Dave

5. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms Active Member

Son. Of. A. Gun.

Blood Sugar! Never crossed my mind - AND I AM IN the health business. My day starts early with breakfast before 7am. Shooting starts around 10am and I try to go straight through until around 1pm.

Thanks for the insight, Dave. I'm also feeling the effects of three score and five. Now I have something to work with.

Larry

6. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Fatigue comes sooner as we age............ Standing and hoisting a gun takes more energy than most people give credit.

Twenty five years ago I tried an experiment after watching a couple of top shooters who seemed by appearances to have some sort of ongoing physical exercise program. I was in my early forties having surfed waves since my childhood. If you've ever paddled and rode a surfboard, then you know how much energy it takes; so I thought myself to be in great shape, I was in great shape for paddling and surfing but not shooting. I found quickly even though I had a strong upper body and legs the act of hoisting and shooting a gun relied on different muscles than surfing.

My training/exercise program was walking an hour every morning with ten pound hand weights pumping them up and down then holding straight out in front of me with arms extended. The other part was gun lifts. I took my O/U and put two lengths of 1/2" bar stock covered in tape and put them in the barrels. The exercise was mount the gun and hold the mount for the count of ten, one thousand one, one thousand two until I reached ten. When I first started, I couldn't hold the barrel level after three mounts, so much for thinking I was in good shape.......... After two months of doing this routine daily, I reached my goal of one hundred ten count gun lifts, whew!

I took myself and my new found strength to our state shoot, I shot the best scores of my life, got punched, won money. Came home and promptly returned to my old routine of surfing and running my company. My shooting after a while returned to its old level.

What I learned, if you want to excel at a certain sport, you have to train for that sport, general exercises won't get you to the top. If you want to continually do well, you must have an ongoing training/exercise program to get and keep you there.

Top shooters, they have a training program, we just think they don't.......

Surfer

7. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

I think fatigue sets in as we age! I try to control weight, get my legs exercised, and shoot light loads.

8. hera200

hera200 Member

If you really want to decrease fatigue by all means try to stay in or get into great shape, it does help but most regular exercise isn't goin to do it for trapshooting. You must work the same muscles in succession that we do when actually shooting.I,m 71this year and not the worlds finest speciman but found a small miracle when after 25 years of not shooting, I decided to once more give it a go. Fatigue was a big factor and I had the same problem--came out of the gate hitting most birds but just couldn't hang in. Two months ago I bought one of Terry Jordan's Wall Charts and things have really changed.Practicing daily at home even if for only fifteen minutes works the exact muscles needed and really upgrades the quality and timing of the swing to the birds. Best $150 I ever spent and top instructors have begun using the wall charts in their classes. Get a hold of Terry at jordan4842@rogers.com and he will send you his free philosophy of trapshooting whether you buy or not. Can't beat that.....BUD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.