1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cougar scare in Maupin, Oregon

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Brian in Oregon, Apr 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    So... Sean in Oregon and I were over on the east side of Mt. hood on a hunting trip. We overnighted in Maupin. While getting breakfast at the Oasis cafe, the gal making breakfasts gets a phone call. We're listening as she's getting pretty concerned. Apparently a cougar is in a backyard.

She hangs up, and tells us what's going on. We ask, where's this at? Oh, right behind the cafe. We go out to our truck and grab binoculars and walk around back. Sean spots something moving on the hillside (we're in the Deschutes River Canyon) right behind an old house. A guy is slowly working his way up the side of the house with a shotgun, doing animated stalking that reminded me of Elmer Fudd.

I get the binoculars lined up, and... it's an orange tiger striped cat. House cat. Big one. When the guy gets fairly close, the cat rolls over like it wants to be petted. And it has kittens.

We go back in the cafe and announce someone needs an appointment with the eye doctor, that it's only a house cat.

A few minutes later the guy calls and confirms... house cat.

The old gal who reported the cougar is still shaking like a leaf and they're trying to get her calmed down.

2. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Had a guy show me a picture of a Bobcat on his trail camera that he said was a cougar. I asked him if he was kidding and he was dead serious. When I showed him the lack of a tail he was convinced that the Cougars sometimes fight when they are young and lose their tails. I then pointed out that the cat was not anywhere close to tan, red or any mixture of those colors and then he was stumped! Then he told me that his neighbor told him that it was a Cougar and that he had never seen either before. Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

cougars in maupin oregon