1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cougar in Virginia

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by mike moncilovich, Apr 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mike moncilovich

mike moncilovich TS Member

Something about that pic. says it's in mule deer country, and nobody has reported any mule deer in Va...Mike

2. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

On the other hand, this weekend there was a report of three cougar kittens near the graduate student housing on the Idaho State University campus, in the south end of Pocatello, ID. A couple of months ago Fish & Game euthanized another three hanging around a neighborhood on the SW side of town, and caught a load of crap for the incident.

3. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Nice picture anyway. I have seen two cougars in my lifetime. One in 1955 deep in the woods of Blackshear Georgia. He ran out in front of me on a old timber trail and was simply huge. I was only eight years old at the time and my uncle had taken me fishing when we saw it. We reported it to game and fish and they told my uncle that that had also had a report of one near Jacksonville Fl.

The second one I saw was when I was headed to Eugene Oregon and it was near a volcanic area(not far from Bend I think) and came out of the tumbleweeds to the edge of the road and saw us coming and jumped across the highway and was gone just that fast.

I felt priviledged to have seen them. They are an awsome creature. When I lived in San Jose Cal in 1983 they had problems with one coming out of the foothills to feed, oftentimes on dogs. I think they trapped it and moved it to a state park. Jackie B.

4. Ken Hurst

Ken Hurst TS Member

I have seen a cat drinking from thr James River outside Lynchburg, Va. back in the 80's. When he saw me , he leaped up the sides of a large rock ledge & dissapeared. Others have been seen in the area.

5. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I got the same exact photo last week and THAT email lists the location in a small town in Nebraska. Can't remember it, but something like Alda or Alvo??

Looks like the bear story in AK.

Whiz

6. trappermike

trappermike Well-Known Member

Jackie, they are still here. Couple of days ago they killed one that was starving, terribly injured and unable to survive. The animal loving nuts went crazy. When they are healthy, they are beautiful, when they are injured, sick and starving, it is pitiful.

Look for the pretty ones.

Mike

7. GoldWing

GoldWing TS Member

This same E-mail circulated 2 weeks ago in Tennessee. Supposedly hit by a car near Waverly. Note the mule deer horns in the back room. No mulies in our area!

8. Tdog

Tdog TS Member

Two years ago one wandered into a residential neighborhood in our west central Minnsota city. The call came in at about 8:00 a.m. as a Mt. Lion sitting in tree. I was certain that someone was going through dt's and was seeing things. They weren't. Between the Vet & I we hit it 4 times with the dart gun but that only made the cat rubber legged. We eventually cornered it by a house and stuffed it in a large dog kennel. The cat was obviously domesticated as it wasn't really afraid of us and didn't attempt to scratch or bite us when we put it in the carrier. It was eventually shipped to KT or TN to a cat rescue facility. Probably the only time I'll be able to go big cat hunting.

9. Toddy

Toddy Member

I live on 5 acres on Vancouver Island and have cougars in my back yard but I have personnally seen only 2 cougars in the wild in my life and they were both while I was driving, 1 down the road from where I live and the other was top of the Malahat about 18 miles from my home.

Reg. Todd, East Sooke, BC

10. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Cougars, or Mountain Lions, as we call them here in South Dakota have become a tremendous problem, especially in the Black Hills. We read about them almost daily in the newpaper.

Had once two blocks from my home attacking cats. GF&P camped out all night in hopes of catching it with no luck. There are tracks all over the hills area.

Just a couple of weeks ago an 80 year old woman walked up to one stalking her dog several miles past our regional airport and shot it a couple of times with a 22. It made national news, and the legisslature that was in session passed a bill permitting her to keep it.

They have become such a big problem we now have seasons on them.

One of my ex-students called one in a few years back. He works at H-S Precision here in Rapid City and has it on display there. It is one helluva lion, AND it was starving. I never knew that were this big until I saw one on the Interstate near Murdo SD a couple of years ago. Two or three leaps and it was all across I90.

Whiz White

11. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Going back a few years, a cougar was shot and killed at a nearby grade school here in Gresham, Oregon (just east of Portland). And my daughter's grade school was locked down twice for confirmed (by the police) cougar sightings on the property, and at least once for an unconfirmed sighting. When I was dating my wife, I used to pick her up at her house just south of Gresham. There were cougar prints in the large flower beds often, and cougars were sighted there every few weeks.<br>
    ,br>
    But that's not the only wildlife. We've had black bears, deer, coyotes and elk iin city limits too. And one day a coyote boarded the light rail train.

12. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

lots of them near me! One of these days a do gooder will get eaten by one. Hopefully one of the do gooders that voted to outlaw hunting them with Dogs. We know have a Couger season that is open to anybody and nearly year round. our deer herd is 1/3 of what it was 10 years ago. They used to hunt them with dogs and you had to draw a tag and the number of tags was very limited( A couple of hundred) the tags were almost 100% filled because the guys who got them would hire a guide with dogs. They outlawed the practice and now anybody can buy a tag and hunt nearly year round and with the Population triple what it was before the ban they still can't kill the quota they used to fill. They have complaints weekly of the cats easing into town and eating cats and dogs and they are frequently seen at schools in outlying areas. It's just a matter of time before somebody gets killed. This what happens when the public is allowed to vote on decisions that should be handeled by Fish & game people. It's really sad to see what deer hunting has beconme in our state. Jeff

13. redhawk44

redhawk44 Member

Tron.....I see in my last issue of Michigan Outdoors that the DNR has agreed that some tracks found in Delta county in the UP were "most likely" cougar tracks. Some guy up there found the tracks, covered them up and got the DNR out there and that's what they came up with.

Now, down here in St. Joseph Co. on the indy line, we keep hearing stories about people seeing cougars, but absent and kills or tracks, I really think it is too settled around here for cougars.

At least if we DID have them, I don't think there would be any doubt about it, what with sheep and dogs and stuff like that going missing.

14. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

We have had a few killed by traffic here in Iowa the last few years. I am 62 and never heard of it till then.

15. nicky

nicky Member

Having read this , I'm glad to see that Pa. is not the only state that has game wardens that deny the big cat's presence. Just across the state line in southern New York last fall they shot a mountain lion that attacked a farmer's livestock. People took picture's of it, weighed it, one of my employee's in the area called me on his cell and asked if he could drive over and see it and I told him sure, stop and get a disposable camera and get picture's so he did. The next day the farmer, I was told, then called the game commission and they came and took it. Guess what, there is no mountain lion's in this area according to them.

Kevin

16. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

This cat and guy gets around because the same cat was hit near me also around the Land between the lakes area near Cadiz KY.

must had been a twin.

Fog

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.