1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cougar filmed in nh

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by jmac_cope, May 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmac_cope

jmac_cope Active Member

That didn't look like a cougar to me. The tail is too short. Looks more like a bobcat. Cougars have long ropey tails.

2. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

Gee I thought this thread was going to be about older women hanging out at bars.--Sorry! Just couldn't help myself :)

3. Unsingle

Unsingle Member

Not a cougar but a Canadian Lynx.

4. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Why do people have such crappy cameras?

5. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

It was definitely a cougar. The head was the wrong shape for a lynx, the ears were too small for a lynx, the body was too long, it moved with its head down like a cougar, the shoulders were visible above the line of the back when it moved, and the long tail had a black tip. All of this was visible in the video.

6. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

Cougar, I was hoping for a different video.....Mike...

7. Model Number 12

Model Number 12 TS Member

That's a bobcat, and a good sized one at that. Mis-identification of wildlife is common. One of my favorites is when people mistake otters for seals, or, (more common to me) mistake muskrats for beavers.

As far as the animal-control officer being accepted as an authority on identification, I once had a local officer tell me about the badger that was picked up as roadkill locally. When I asked to see it the "badger" turned out to be a fisher.

8. oz

oz Active Member

Hey I've got a squirrel with a short tail, must be a chipmunk. IT'S A COUGAR! My friend in vermont has cougars on his property. Carry a gun or be dinner!

9. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Unsingle, you beat me to it. Its a Lynx. Why do I say so. There is no long tail, its a short tail but longer then a Bobcat and its white underneath. It was has a short body while a cougar is longer.

10. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

I believe 'Ole Jerry, ---Clower that is, would call that thang a Souped Up Wildcat. Don't ya know.

Gnej

11. Model Number 12

Model Number 12 TS Member

The chance of this being a lynx are very slim, The nearest known population is in northern Maine, and that is at the extreme southern edge of their range. With that said, there are rare occurences of lynx in the the White Mountains of NH and even rarer occurences of them in Vermont's Northeast Kingdom, but furbearer biologists I've discussed this with stress that the occurence is very rare.

My money is still on the bobcat.

12. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

A bobcat, but there are plenty of cougars around regardless of what the DNR says.

13. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Bobcat. Lynx are pretty rare in the lower 48. They would be in the border states to Canada if they are seen, but not likely at all around a high population area like that. This cat got caught up in the Cougar craze.

14. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Really crummy film footage but despite the tail issue, it looks like a Cougar to me. That said, Bobcat numbers are increasing greatly here in the midwest. What use to be a rare sight is becoming more and more normal.

This Bobcat I have here is considered a very large one(at least in these parts) as it weighed in at 29lbs. That cat being flimed appears to be much much heavier than this. At least to me anyway....

[​IMG]

15. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

Lynx=Souped-up Bobcat....

16. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Its more likely a full grown bobcat, they will get "yellow" more with age.

It could only be a cougar(NOT in my experience)if its tail had been cut off some how!

It would not be out of the ordinary for one to be there. They DO travel, especially if it has been run out of its territory.

After listening to the video, I think there should be a unemployed public worker for NOT knowing animal species very well!!!! BUT that is far to common, even around here in the North West!!

17. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

I believe it is a cougar. That is one big cat and I don't think a bobcat would be out and about like that, but maybe cougars are the same way.

Could have easily lost its tail somewhere along the way.

18. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Young Lynx. Tale drops straight down. It is not cut off. Has the tuffs of jaw hair below the cheeks. Cougars don't have that. Also no white patch on the muzzel typical of a couger, and no spots typical of a Bob. Lynx have spots too, but they are mottled in the spring.

My best guess.

19. toolguy

toolguy Member

I agree; I think it's a cougar, despite the tail. It has the longer body of a cougar and moves like a cougar. But, you're right, Frank, probably just like here in Vermont cougars, catamounts, mountain lions, whatever you want to call them "don't exist here". I know it wasn't a Golden Retreiver I saw one night back in the early 90's crossing the road in front of me!

Regards,

Don Whiton

20. DENNISMASTROLIA1

DENNISMASTROLIA1 Active Member

That animal is large!!! Bobcats are smaller.He looks like a mean sob!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.