1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Cottontail Rabbit Problem

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by calldan, Apr 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. calldan

calldan Member

Any ideas besides shooting or trapping the many Cottontails in my yard.

They destroying my yard. As much as I would like to take my Sherdian to them it is not and option.

Please let me know of any suggestions.

Thanks,

Dan
  2. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Trap em and send em to Texas, ours disappeared.

GneJ
  3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/A6-YPiqOh_w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Just be careful and watch out for Peter Rabbit.
  4. reed92

reed92 TS Member

A pet fox should do the trick.
  5. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I've been told that moth balls will take care of the problem but you local hardware store probably has something to spread around that works. Jackie B.
  6. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Get a Beagle.
  7. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Beagle? Jack Russell Terrier.
  8. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA Well-Known Member

I had a jackrabbit problem a couple of years ago, and my Winchester Model 61 eliminated the problem. Rabbits are good to eat after a hard freeze. Charlie
  9. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Rabbit Pot Pie -- my favorite !!!
  10. BigBadBob

BigBadBob TS Member

Box trap baited with apple peelings. Then relocate or dispatch and put them in the skillet.Fried rabbit with biscuits and gravy!! MMmmmmm, Good!!!
  11. JTEA

JTEA Member

We have a "tamed" stray cat who kills and entirely eats the young ones about the size of a Guinna pig. Our neighbor took it in and got it spayed and vaccinated. There are programs with vets which return infertile cats to the wild for a minimal cost. We have a severe Lyme disease problem here so she helps control the rodents who carry the ticks.

JT
  12. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I you have the attractant (food) and no predators you will have the rabbits.

The choices are get rid of the food, or get a predator (why can't you shoot em?) or live with them.

My Shorthairs would love to have a bunny come hopping through the yard. If you don't have a hunting dog maybe this is a good excuse to get one.
  13. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Active Member

A friend had problems with them in his garden, so he started shooting them in the ear with a 22 LR, just enough to show the bullet hole.

This usually was enough to send them on their way, but if one showed up in the garden with a hole in it's ear.........goodby!
  14. Mapper

Mapper Member

I have heard that planting Marigolds helps.
  15. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Coyote will come. Rabbits will disappear.
  16. oz

oz Active Member

Do what democrats do. Feed them and make them happy. Only grow stuff they like. Have them on TV. Get one elected president. OR kill them while you have the chance. We have a red shouldered hawk (google it) pray for one, your rabbits will be gone. oz
  17. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

The Marigolds will keep them out of your garden.

My aunt used to put brown glass beer bottles all around the garden between the marigolds. She said it was for the rabbits but I think she just wanted to empty the bottles.

Another thing she did was to hang aluminum foil pie plates so they would twist in the wind, to keep the birds out of the raspberries. All that wierd crap seemed to work, so who am I to judge?

HM
  18. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

Use a box trap....catch those rabbits and ship them to the WSRC in Sparta as a re-stocking program.
  19. BigBadBob

BigBadBob TS Member

Catch'em, Baptize them, communion them, and they will only come back at Christmas and Easter.

That's what our priest told us when we had problems with rabbits on the Parish Grounds. LOL
  20. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Active Member

Get yourself a goos air gun and shoot the damn things. Like it or not thats the way it is. You then put a box wire fence around your yard so they can't get in. If they do just shoot them as you did before. If you can't shoot them then live with what they are doing.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.