1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

COTTAGE GROVE NEWS

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Kingbang, Apr 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kingbang

Kingbang TS Member

I read a thread in here posted by Dan Thome and written by Colleen Wedin. There were some things that were not accurate and I would like to make them right. First off we are not a 501c3 there are very few clubs in the country that are. However some clubs have an "arm" that are classified 501c3. Our shoot program for the April shoot is based on a 10 squad turnout. We have $1500.00 in guaranteed prizes and $600.00 in added money. We have $4587.00 in perfect 50's money paying out 1st $1949.00 2nd $997.00 and 3rd $1641.00. Because we only anticipate 10 squads we elected to make the payout to only the the winners, However all entries are eligible for an addition $120.00 added money paid by lewis class 4 classes ties devide. $25.00an event is what we charged at each shoot we held last year.If we had paid down to runner up and below no one would have been happy on a shoot this size with payouts.I agree that target presentation,setting, and most importantly your feeling welcome are what its all about. We had Chuck from Golden West here to put on a clinic on how to maintain, trouble shoot and work on Pat traps. Medford Roseburg and Albany all came and they rebuilt an old SF Style to almost a new G series.Every one that attended walked out with knowledge that will benefit all of you as shooters.The point here is obvious. How can a club make a decison on what targets they throw if they dont understand how thier traps work? This is directly related to our clubs surviving shooting one sport. Its a simple business. Throw targets! We are bringing back Skeet. We throw 5 stand every 2nd and forth Tuesday starting at 2:00 p.m. We had over 80 rounds shot tonite We are going to bring in sporting clays. We have to. Its the only way we are going to be able to continue to upgrade our facilties and equipment. The heart and sole of our club is trap shooting. Yet there needs to a thought process thats outside the "box" THERES no money in the box! Ron Johnson figured this out long ago. We have to bring in the kids, We've lost a full generation, We need to get that gap bridged. If all of you want to see this sport of trap succeed? get off you asses and get involved.I invite all of you to come to our club, shoot one shoot here. I give you my word, you will be challenged and you WIll have a good time.

Dennis Crowell

President

Cottage Grove Eugene Sportsmens Club

SMOKE A TARGET

2. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Kinda up late Dennis, Eh?

3. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Bob Dodd, and all members of the Cottage Grove Gun Club....... Please understand that I don't necessarily agree with ALL of Colleens observations. I have absolutely no axe to grind with the CG Club, its members, or its policies. I, personally, know a great many of them, and they are all, to a fault, great folks that work hard to make Cottage Grove a great club to shoot. Here, specifically, are the parts of her email that I agree with:

"Maybe a good first step in getting trapshooting back on track is to return to the basics. To promote a wonderful sport. To provide a positive experience, and to bring people with common interests together. Less hostility, more harmony - after all, everyone at a trapshoot should have a very common goal!! Communication is pretty important". (Edited by Trap2) This would include less negativity here on T/S.com, one of the things I have been guilty of.

"the 'he said she said' thing is unfortunate and completely useless. If someone really said that, name them so they can defend themselves or attempt to back up their statement about target setting - the only way to make changes is with open honest dialogue". (Edited by Trap2) If one is going to make any accusations against anyone, all the facts, names, places, etc. should be included in the accusation. It's way too easy to sit behind the keyboard and pass on rumors and innuendos without the necessary information to back it up.

"Since when does automation make a person flinch, pull the trigger when they shouldn't or continue to shoot on a badly set trap, anyway? use your words people! (A simple 'hey, can you please reset this/fix this' goes a long way!!)." (Edited by Trap2) Pretty much self expainatory.

These are the main things I am in agreement with. Some of these things apply to me, and I'm the first one to admit it. I am also going to take the necessary steps to correct them. Negativity has crept into my mindset regarding the direction trap shooting is headed, and as a result, I have been paying more attention to the negativity than I have to shooting trap. I temporarily lost sight of the fact that I'm in this to enjoy myself and have fun. I posted Colleens email because it got my attention, and it is another insight to what a PITA lady All American is feeling. If any part of her email reflects on some of the things you are doing, then I'm sure you will understand the posting.

I would like to sincerely apologize to ALL those at the Cottage Grove Gun Club that thought I was chastising them, or degrading their club in any way. I was not, and that was not my intent. The email was totally Colleens impressions of how she feels, and how she sees things from her perspective. While I don't compleley agree with all her points, I support her right to express them.

Dan Thome (Trap2)

Reply to the Forum Thread

4. Bill D

Bill D TS Member

Dennis you are absoulutly right. If you are zoned as a gun club you should be throwing all disciplines, take money from anyone who wants to give it. The Redlands gun club is now throwing sporting clays and skeet and they are doing great. They have a lot of competition around them. Clubs like Evergreen in Washington could really flurish with the addition of sporting clays.

5. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Dan, no offense was taken by me - but do make a point of coming up whether you waste shells or not and see what's being done. There's a fair chance CGESC "could" become a clay target shooting center if everyone looks and listens with an open mind. It could be a nice focus for one of your next On Target messages...Bob Dodd

6. Kingbang

Kingbang TS Member

Wow I don't know what is up with that time thing! I was long gone by then. Thanx again to Dan, his reputation as a straight shooter is earned not given. Bill this is somewhat new only in that we intend to make it permanent rather than just hit and miss. The permanent part scares the old horse's a bit, but I am really excited with how its gaining traction so quickly.

Dennis

7. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Dennis.. Thank you for the kind words. It was a pleasure talking with you last night, and I'm looking forward to the time when you and I can get together at CG and shoot a few rounds..... Dan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.