1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

cost to sleeve a barrel

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by sliverbulletexpress, May 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Briley.

2. DB Bill

DB Bill Active Member

Why not get a set of sub-gauge tubes installed --- I haven't checked the prices lately but I'd guess you could get a set of 20ga tubes installed for around $600.

3. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

What do you mean: "didn't work out" ?? How big was the overbore?

4. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

I'm with EuroJoe, Just what went wrong. Subgauge tubes will not change the POI or protect a gun with to thin of barrel metal left!!! Break-em all. Jeff

5. Baber

Baber TS Member

Agree... What went wrong here and whose barrel is it. It may be worth putting a new barrel on the mono block.

TB

6. twoatloweight

twoatloweight Member

If you really need the barrel sleeved(new tubes fitted to the monoblock or chopper lump,you probably want an English trained gun smith.Sleeving is very popular on quality double guns.I had a 2" 12 bore double sleeved a few years ago.I used Kirk Merrington of Kerrville.Tx.He did a great job,you can't find the joint.I am told Briley also does it but I haven't used them.I believe it runs 2-2.5K + bluing.

7. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Do you think? This is the best cast I have seen on this site in a long time.Jeff

8. EuroJoe

Tracy: Nothing wrong with your bbl. .744 bore is no problem, but it sounds like you have an old top single. They were made with an insert in the bottom stub bbl. with a brass rod and an assortment of brass weights and sleeves to adjust weight to your preference. If your bbl. is missing this assembly, it will no doubt be too whippy for a trapgun.
    I shoot a 32" o/u m32 at sporting, and the backboring was done for weight distribution, no other reason.
    If you don't have or can't find the weight insert, you could easily have one made, starting with a snap cap.

9. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

You can get a very tight TURKEY choke tube and have it bored to your liking, send it to Kerry Alor or Tom Wilkinson they can do it.
    Just tell them what you want and the POI.

They will need the whole gun so they can shoot it.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

10. Chipmaker

Chipmaker Active Member

Euro "weight distribution" .009 overbore on a 32" barrel is .1952lbs......you got to friggin kidding me! Who sold you down the river on that one?

This is like racing if some one taped a dog turd on their barrel and shot 100 straight with it next week 10 guys would have a dog turd taped to their barrels too.........................

I'm sorry but some of the reasons/reasoning is just too far out there for me to swallow!

11. Chipmaker

Chipmaker Active Member

If the back end of the choke tube has not been sized to the .744 bore its going to be a wad shaver and I would think it would blow out the pattern! If you dont have means to accuratly measure the bore just behind the choke take it to someone who can or send the barrel to Comp-n-Choke(my preference)or Briley, Wrights etc Have it made correctly and you'll be pleased with your gun! Also if the gun does not fit you you will never shoot it well until it does!

12. mx8dave

mx8dave Member

you guys can come clean up my back yard ,,you could be rich ,,,MX8Dave

13. EuroJoe

Chip, I have forgotten more about this stuff than you will ever know! This happened to be a sporting gun, and made a difference in feel. So much so that several people at the club duplicated this set-up and loved it. 3oz over 32" has quite a different feel. Why else does everyone on this site want to know bbl.weight on a gun listed for sale??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.