1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cost to shoot?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by BP348, Apr 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BP348

BP348 Active Member

I was just wondering if someone could tell me what it cost to shoot at the southwestern grand? I plan on attending on Saturday so I can have a set of O/U barrels fitted and since I'm there I thought I'd shoot. This is my first shoot so any advice is appreaciated. I'd like to shoot singles and handicap.

I also assume I'll have to join the ATA what does that cost? Since I haven't shoot any regestered targets where will I shoot handicaps from? 22 yard line?

Thanks,
    Jerry

2. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

It will cost you $18 for an "annual" membership to the ATA, a prerequisite to shooting ATA registered event. The membership year is September 1 through August 31, so your membership will be good from the day you sign up through August 31. You can sign up on site. I don't have the program with me, but there is a $2 ATA daily fee, and I think a State fee of around $3. Targets and trophies are around $24/$25 per 100. Saturday they will be shooting the Singles Championship (200 targets), so figure $75 plus the cost of 200 shells should just about cover everything if you don't play any options or purses. There also should not be any problem squadding on site. Everyone will shoot the first 100, then start over again for the second 100 afterwards.

Every day through Friday 4/20 they will shoot 100 singles/100 handicap/50 pair of doubles, same daily fees and cost per 100. Sunday will be 50 pair of doubles followed by 100 handicap, so if you want to shoot handicap it will have to be a day other than Saturday. Again I don't have the program here, but as a new shooter with no target history you will probably be classified Penalty A in singles and doubles, and assigned penalty yardage (around 23 yards, I'm guessing) for handicap.

Finally there is a really nice Texas BBQ free to all competitors after shooting is done Saturday.

3. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

Pretty sure the targets are $26 per 100, plus ATA fees ($2/day) and Texas State (no idea what that is).

If you do shoot handicap and don't want to shoot penalty yardage you always have the option of shooting "targets only" from the 20-yard line (starting yardage for an adult male shooter). If you select targets-only you will not be eligible for any trophies and will not be allowed to play any option purses. Just tell the classifier that you want to shoot "targets only" if that is your choice.

Pocatello is right about the BBQ. There isn't even a charge for family (wife/girlfriend). Plenty of food and drink, it's a good time.

I'm flying out this Saturday and will be shooting Sunday thru Sunday - can't wait, it's my favorite shoot of the year (along with the Great Lakes Grand).

Scott

4. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

I'm back home now, and have my program in hand. It lists "Targets and shooter service" at $26 per 100. My guess is that means any fees are folded in, and it will cost you $26 per hundred to shoot. If you join and shoot the 200 singles Saturday, that's $70 plus the cost of your shells. Shells on site have been fairly expensive, but there is a WalMart a couple of miles away that has had good buys in the past, if they don't sell out.Also from the program, penalty class is at least A for singles and doubles, penalty yardage is 23 yards for junior and adult males. I don't see anything about "Targets only" in the program, but that does not mean it isn't there.

I will be there from Wednesday through Sunday. Hope to see you there, Scott. If I remember correctly, you are from SW MI. I lived in Berrien Springs from '74 to '84.

Larry Ford

5. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

Larry -

Must have me confused with someone else. I'm from the Chicago suburbs (Naperville). I'll probably be wearing my Blue/White Kolar hat, and my name is on my shell holder so if you see me please say hello.

FYI, you can shoot targets only anytime you want to avoid penalty class/yardage, altough I 've never seen it in the program. I don't see much point in doing it to avoid penalty class for singles/doubles, but if you aren't comfortable shooting penalty yardage in handicap I recommend it. My first Grand I didn't have enough targets and I knew that I'd look like a fool shooting from the 25 yard line so I shot targets only. You're supposed to look like a fool when you are on the 20 yard line!

Scott

6. BP348

BP348 Active Member

Thanks for the info.

I take it that the ATA dosn't change their fee due to the fact that half their shooting year has passed? I know it's only $18 bucks but why should the charge be the same for a whole year and half a year?

Hope to see you guys there. I'll be the one walking around like he's lost. Or maybe it will be like a kid in a candy store :)

Jerry

7. jimbob

jimbob TS Member

$28 a 100 for a major trap event vs $50 a 100 for a mid to major skeet tournament. Am I looking at this right??

8. Texas Yankee

Texas Yankee Member

The cost is $26.00 per 100 for birds and trophies plus $2.00 per day ATA and $2.75 Texas fee. The total for Sat. singles is $56.75 Sunday is the same price. All other days would be $82.75. I will be shooting Thur. thru Sunday.

9. BP348

BP348 Active Member

Bad News guys

I just found out that I have to work on Saturday, no way to get out of it. Si i won't be able to attend the southwestern grand.

I guess I'll have one of the other guys from my club take the MX-14 to Giacomo to have the O/U barrels fitted. Anyone know what he charges to fit a set of barrels?

Hope all of you have fun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

chi raq cost to shoot

cost to shoot a set of videos