1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cost to reload?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dolphin77, Aug 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dolphin77

dolphin77 Member

What would be a good guess of the cost to reload 12ga shells...not counting the cost of the hull, and using current componate prices? Thanks, WC

2. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

here you go.

3. Francis Marion

Francis Marion Well-Known Member

If you buy 8# of powder at a time, and avoid brand name wads,even with new shot I think I'm a bit under $5 a box. When you figure in reclaimed shot, more savings.Plus, I know every load will be the same and go bang. If you buy cheap shells, that will not be the case.

4. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

A cheap factory shell cost me 100 straight a few years ago. Shell didn't go off, and a friend tossed me one of his. he neglected to tell me that he had a bad shoulder and was loading them real light and slow, the only one I missed that day. It was a local tourney and I still won it, but not with 100. I now reload. Bill

5. Catching Chrome

Catching Chrome Member

I'm still loading for around $4.50 a box (1 1/8th oz @ 1200 fps) with premium components and powder. Win 209 primers, WAA clone wads, Hogdon Clays and chilled shot. My general cost is about the follow:

$30 for a bag of shot
    $7 per 500 wads
    $28 per 1000 wads
    $100 for 8# of clays powder

6. cunninmp

cunninmp Member

Mine runs me $4.34 per box at current prices.
    Estates by the Flat run me $59.00 out the door.
    Still worth it to get a quality load.

Mike C.

7. Wolf172

Wolf172 Member

This was a great question at a great time. I just bought 20 flats of gun clubs and am saving the hulls. Was thinking I may get a press later and start reloading and some guys have told me that gun clubs are a great hull to reload. I have the latest lyman shotshell book but cant find any hulls in it that have a steel head. Most are brass. What info in the book would I use to get 1145 fps with a 1 1/8 load of shot? Should I use the info for the one peice STS hull or something different. I have loaded many many pistol and rifle but never any shotgun shells.

David

8. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

wolf/David,

The Gun Club hullls would use the same data as the Remington STS and Nitro hulls.

9. Wolf172

Wolf172 Member

Thanks very much grtitan. I appreciate it.

David

10. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

When I first started shooting in 1970, the rule of thumb to load a box of 12 gauge trap loads was usually 1/2 the price of new premium shells. Even though component cost have sky rocketed, I think that still might be roughly in the same ball park or a little higher depending on the size of of your component order.
    Steve Balistreri

11. Wolf172

Wolf172 Member

I was kinda hoping I could load a quality load for aroiund $4.50 a box. Dont know if thats possible because I have not priced components yet. By quality I mean hard shot and a relatively clean burning powder that will meter consistently. Still not sure just how much effect various proper wads will have on the end product.

12. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Wolf, you still certainly can!!

just stay away from the PB's and such. there are excellent powders out there.

In Michigan, we can get our components from A.J Brenner supply.

Cheddite primers @$105 (approx prices)

Downrange wads (versalite ex:) $80/5000

powders, Promo, E3, Red dot, Green Dot Am select, Claydot, all at or less than $110 8#

Shot at $35/25 lbs..

hulls, I figure free..

Powder Cost $

Pounds

Grains in Reload

Primer Cost $

Primer Qty

Wad Cost $

Wad Qty

Shot Cost $

Pounds

Ounces in Reload

Hull Cost $

Hull Qty

Number of times hull will be used
    ComponentCost
    Per Load
    Cost
    Per Box
    Notes
    Powder$
    $

loads at
    grains per
    pounds
    Primers$
    $

Wads$
    $

Shot$
    $

loads at
    ounces per
    pounds
    Hulls$
    $
     Hull
    will be used
    times
    Reload
    without Hull
    $
    $

Reload
    with Hull
    $
    $

Powder
    Type

Clays
    Primer
    Type

cheddite
    Wad
    Type

downrange versalite
    Shot
    Type

magnum
    Hull
    Type

rem/aa

13. Catching Chrome

Catching Chrome Member

Yeah, depending on shot price I can usually get my ounce and a eight loads for about $4.00-$4.50. I usually buy everything in kind of bulk, 5000 primers, 5000 wads and 8# jugs of powder. Shot I usually buy when I a mass some free cash rewards money on a credit card. It makes me feel like I get lead for $25 a bag. I've cronographed my loads and pattern them and they are very consistent, 1180-1220 fps with very uniform shot distribution. I usually take about 5 per 1000 and test them every now and then.

14. ImpalaBob

ImpalaBob Member

Currently $4.33 per box

impalabob_2008_1709.jpg

15. SPACE GUN

SPACE GUN Member

With promo powder, claybuster wads, fiocchi primers and shot at 34.00 a bag. without hull, labor, and tax I am at 3.85 per box on one ounce loads

16. Lawman214

Lawman214 TS Member

Our club does an annual component sale in the fall, with terrific prices if you buy in bulk. 10,000 primers, 10,000 wads, 24 lbs powder, 25 bags shot...you can be set up darn near till the next sale. I'm loading 1oz shells that chrono at 1200fps, give or take 20. Based on prices paid at the last sale, which I'm still using but just about out of, my per box price is $3.83. Every once in a while, I'll buy a flat of AA's or STS. I can tell no difference, performance wise, between the premium factory loads and the reloads. But, then again, I'm primarily a club shooter. Might I feel different standing on the line with HOA at the Grand in play? Who knows. A big part of the game rests between the ears, and I have confidence in my loads. They break the targets just as hard as factory shells. Given all that, I'll save the money and keep pulling the handle on the reloader!

17. mallard2

mallard2 Active Member

Reloading now hurts my shoulders after all these years.

When you factor in a hydralic system at about 700 bucks, has it been worth it to you guys who have done that?

Are they hard to install and operate?

Mine would go on a P/W 800B.

Thinking it might be worth it.

18. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

If my math is anywhere correct using 209 WW primers, Clays powder, Claybuster wads, and 1 1/8 oz shot @ 1200 would run about 4.51 per box at today's prices. I load a bit cheaper as I'm sitting on a load of components purchased about 10 years ago. I got out of shooting for a while but kept the components. Glad I did. But I like to keep track of what it would cost today if I were going to have to go out and buy components, which if I continue to shoot, I probably will. I like reloading and consider it an extension of the shooting hobby. I like to believe I get a premimum shell at probably about 1/2 the price of factory fodder before rebates. I have the equipment up and running with, at this time, loads of components, so why not. And I would still load my own even at today's prices.

19. jimctrap

jimctrap Member

Regarding cheap shells I have been shooting cheap wal mart shells for fifteen years the federal and winchester both thoundands of rounds and never had one single round fail to go bang.but have seen a lot of reloads fail

jim

20. BudsterXT

BudsterXT Member

I am under 4 bucks a box, and I will be for the next 15 bags of shot.

I am at 3.75 a round or less. Way less. I buy in low-bulk quanities

Buy primers 5000 a time
    Buy wads by the case
    Buy 8 lb jugs of powder

Kenny U

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.