1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cost To make a Handgun?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by glenn mcleod, Sep 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. glenn mcleod

glenn mcleod Member

I wonder how much they actually have in one of the new small semi-auto's. I owned a Taurus Slimline for 1 day, there is about 6 actual parts and the trigger is absolutely terrible. To me it looks like $25 in gun cost and $250 for their Liability Insurance. I bought a S&W 38 Centennial(hammerless)instead for about the same money. Glenn

2. crusha

crusha TS Member

Those molded frames and Metal Inj. Molded metal parts have really cut out a lot of cost. Ruger's investment casting stuff was state-of-the art...for a little while...and then the polymer wave just took over.

Everything else has gotten a lot more expensive in the gun world...but pistols don't cost a lot more than 15 years ago, with exceptions for the real primo stuff...I still like my all-steel guns, but admit some of the polymer stuff is awful nice (and makes your hands a lot less cold in the winter time).

3. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Mim molds start out at about $60,000 for a small part.. That does not include the machine to make the part.. and nothing to do with finishing the part.. Some of the more complicated molds are in excess of $100,000 each.. Lets add to that a building.. a few workers.. and insurance.. How much return would you think is fair on the investment??? You'd need to make a whole lot of guns to sell one for $300

often..CNC on a short run is vastly cheaper..and done in good materials will yield a product that will sell for more and last vastly longer..

4. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

GM stamped out a million of the "Liberator" during WWII for just a couple bucks a piece... what would be that in today's dollars?!

Jay

5. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

A zip gun cost little to nothing.. But if you had to pay someone to make it..Much more.. and the product liability to go with it..

6. Finprof

Finprof TS Member

$2.00 in 1943 is $24.52 today. Those Liberator pistols are real collectors items today and can sell for thousands.

7. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

How much is your life worth? I buy S+W, Browning, Colt, Walther, Seecamp, Sig and beretta. I do not buy junk like Taurus. Taurus has a poor resale and is made of junk metal.

8. JTEA

JTEA Member

I agree with Auctioneer, cheaper handguns aren't much fun when they start hanging up or misfiring either.

Don't forget that the companies have to pay employee benefits such as health care, taxes, retirement etc. Not to mention their business taxes.

JT

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.