1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

COST TO DRIVE TO THE GRAND

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by slugbug1, May 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slugbug1

slugbug1 Member

I just did the math on fuel cost dragging my 5th wheel from Utah to Sparta...round trip $1200.00. Does anyone else on here spend that kind of money just to get there? GaryL.

2. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I was going to go too, but we can't get anyone to call us back about camping there. A number of us have called. It's a 12 hour trip for me, so it's not as bad. I want to go at least once.

3. JRW

JRW Member

I will need about 600.00 from MI. Jerry

4. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I did the math, Cardinal is only $100 for me from MI., simple decision for the last three years.

I'm not pointing fingers or stirring the pot but when the Grand moved to Sparta it devastated the ATA in Southeast MI. Many local shooters made sure they shot the 1000 ATA targets so they were not penalized at the Grand. NO more..

Don't get me wrong I'm not a Sparta basher, I'm just a working joe, stating the economic reality of my situation, and many others I know.

5. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

If you really want to go and can do it...even if it is a "stretch"...go for it...cut corners on expenses if you must, but go. After surviving heart surgery last year, my priorities have gotten re-calibrated.
    As an old time fisherman around here used to say: "It's later than you think, ol' buddy, you better take time out to fish!" Best Regards, Ed

6. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

You mentioned only one shoot. Any reason for that? I was able to go away and shoot last weekend - hotel and meals add up quickly but this is what I like to do. If you have the opportunity to go to the GA - go - enjoy your life and enjoy shooting targets at the world championship.

7. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Setterman. What do you need to know about camping in Sparta? I'll try to help you, if I can. Barry.

8. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

OldGoat Your correct if someone wants to go they will . That means they don,t . People have to many big shoots to close to home to mess with one more shoot to far from home .

I can drive 300 plus miles to the grand or the week after the grand drive 135 miles to cardinal and shoot cheaper targets .

It,s not about going to the grand anymore it,s just no big deal to some people . Just to many grands- no one is making any money and you can shoot a big shoot most any week year round .

9. DeVille

DeVille Member

From my home in Oregon to Sparta is 2248 miles each way. I dont even want to tell you how much it cost to drive my pusher to Sparta and back for all of the Grands that we have had there. Every trip has been worth it to me.
    Dex, Oregon Delegate.

10. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

I guess when it was in Vandalia and shooters drove in from all states it was OK but now it is BAD, what BS. The Grand is still the Grand and still the TOP shoot of the year. It is surprising but when the bitching begins it always the Cardinal clan telling the world how bad Sparta is and how great they are, how close they are and how far Sparta is. You couldn't get a camping spot at Vandalia and there is not a bad spot at Sparta, Cardinal can't say that as they have to many spots in the parking lot.

Setterman why haven't you grabed one the spots that has been offered on this site.

As far as costs, it cost me less than $250 to drive my motorhome round trip to Sparta from Michigan.

Don

11. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Barry, Myself and 2 other people have tried to get someone to call us back. We have been calling the number on the website. Prior to answering your post, I checked the camping site again and there have been some changes. they now list Nicky Christian as the contact @ 217-785-7703. We had heard that many of the sites were occupied by construction workers, and they were trying to free up sites.

BigDon, it's summer in the construction business. I have to stay flexible. Difficult to make plans this early.

$250 round trip? At a 12 hour drive at 55 MPH (pull camper), @9 mpg x $3 fuel= $360 for me.
    Not bad, but enough.

12. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Drove to Vandalia from North Carolina for my only Grand American in 2004. I don't know what I expected but what I found was a big shoot...literally. I'm not sure what the attraction is for the people who attend. What I found was a big impersonal crowd of people all doing the same thing that small groups do at monthly local league shoots. For me, doing something in a large crowd doesn't make it special or unique; it just makes it crowded.

MK

13. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Looks like it may be time to leave the motorhome at home and drive to Sparta and get a room. ( if you want to go that is) The only reason I ever went to Vandalia was to browse the vendors. As far as shooting, I can find many shoots close by and several that have the name "Grand"

14. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

Geography is always a problem, # 1 Have we resolved the communication with
    camping, You definately got me thinking,
    Since 1975 I have hoped to have 5th wheel trailer.
    I stay in bed & breakfast.
    and enjoy it. 25 miles away.
    We need to resolve camping communication.

Joe Woods/Ontario

15. wm rike

wm rike Member

Don - I don't think anyone here bashed Sparta, and I don't think anyone said they'd live and die for the Cardinal. The thread of what people were really saying is that distance (and cost) is a consideration for any shoot, and that nowadays there are a lot of big shoots to choose from. The Grand doesn't necessarily ring the bell for everyone.

16. phirel

phirel TS Member

I do not know the price of gasoline at the places I will fill up next August so I do not know what my gasoline cost will be. As far as total cost of driving, I now use the figure of 53 cents per mile for tax purposes. Total costs is much more than the cost of gasoline.

Pat Ireland

17. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

If you're a "Trapshooter", then put the money aside and go. All trapshooter's should attend the Grand at least once, no matter the venue.

As with everything in life, you just may not get a second chance.

Curt

18. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

It took 3 responses to start hearing about Cardinal Center.

I'm sure it's a nice place and I hope to shoot there sometime, but it gets old.

That's all.

19. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

It took 3 responses to start hearing about Cardinal Center .

You think maybe a reason for that . Talk about getting old You love going to the grand go . Have a good time and injoy no one is saying not go .

A very small number of ATA members ever go to the grand . Now it,s less SO

20. dverna

dverna Active Member

Like Setterman, I have had problems getting information on Grand campsites.

We are renting a motor home and driving it from MI for the Buckeye Classic to see how we like the RV experience. So maybe we will have one for the Grand.

If we decide RV'ing is not our bag, I am interested in renting a unit from a local RV center near the Grand and having it set up for the shoot. A large travel trailer would be fine. In any case, I need a spot. Driving an hour each way and sitting in a car all day to stay cool sucks.

I will be in numerous shoot offs. Something on site makes sense so I can rest before the shoot offs.

Just a few comments on the Cardinal/Grand issue. I attended the Grand last year for the first time. I saw quite a few guys from the club and others who I shoot with locally. Only two of us (of the 20 or so I met there) had real jobs. Maybe I just know a lot of old bastards (I am 59); but it seems unless you REALLY want to attend, most working guys do not have the time to drive there and back (even if they have the money to do so). A venue like the Cardinal Center can draw from more shooters within a three or four drive. Lower cost, only "wasting" one or two vacation days (if just wish to shoot 3-4 days over the weekend), closer hotels etc etc make it attractive to larger pool of shooters.

One is not better than the other. They cater to different needs and demographics.

There is NO question the Grand would be more successful if held in central Ohio. Anyone with half a pea brain knows that. But that ship has sailed.

Don Verna

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.