1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cost of Turkey Shoots

Discussion in 'Shoot Information, EVENTS, Clinics & Results' started by creamfrog, Nov 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. creamfrog

creamfrog TS Member

Just curious how much turkey shoot are in different areas of the country and how many shooters they put on the line at one time. The one in southwestern Idaho is going to charge $6 per shooter and usually has 5-6 shooters at the line shooting at once. Seems like an awful lot to me to win a $12 turkey.

2. Rick in Ohio

Rick in Ohio Member

Its not the money its all about having a good time and walking away with a Turkey. I have gone to some Turkey shoots before won 5 or 6 birds come home and give them all away to some people I know that need some thing to eat at this time of the year.

3. Harv Shell

Harv Shell TS Supporters TS Supporters

Our club charges $5 for a 5 person 10 target shoot, $3 for a 8 person splatter board and $2 for a 12 slice of pie sheet.<br> Butterball turkey's with $15-$16 tags or $12-$13 hams, your choice. Awarded 35 or so yesterday and doing it again today.<br> Downers Grove Sportsmens Club in Morris, Il.

4. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Don't like what they charge, don't attend...

By the way, were you at the meeting when the shoot was put together and cost was discussed?

Are you helping out at the shoot?

5. creamfrog

creamfrog TS Member

Both me and my family members have spent several years helping at the annual shoot. I quit attending the shoot since it tends to draw over 1000 shooters who seem to have no idea how to load their shotguns and also walk around with a fully loaded gun.

6. BobHoukOregon

BobHoukOregon Member

6 is to darn high - But is getting to show up more and more. Most of our clubs still charge $4.00

7. Macdaddy

Macdaddy Member

We charge $6.00 per person, pay one meat prize for every 6 playing.

Northern Utah.

8. Banser1

Banser1 TS Member

Its not just the cost (prize costs vary). These events are fundraisers for most clubs. Part of the idea is to attract shooters and have an enjoyable time while at the clubs.
    In most cases it would cost less to go to the local supermarket and purchase the same prize, but where's the fun in that.
    Support your local clubs.

9. The Literalist

The Literalist Well-Known Member

I admit that this post made me grin. With targets, shells, gas and other expenses, a Sunday registered shoot can cost between $150 and $200.

And you whine about a six-dollar event?? Would you be happier if it was five-dollars? Four?

I suspect the club is trying to make a buck or two in this shoot...not make sure every shooter gets a cheap turkey. Ask the guys running the event how much their salary is for working the shoot.

For most of us, we shoot 'cause it's fun. If an extra dollar or two seems out of line, you're in the wrong sport.

10. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I have been to some really big Turkey shoots and never seen 500 shooters let alone 1000, and or anyone walking around with fully loaded guns ... Post the name of the club so we can avoid it with people like that hanging around ... Sounds like an accident waiting to happen ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

11. BobHoukOregon

BobHoukOregon Member

Keep the price down in this economy. Pay 1 in 6 or 7 instead of 1 in 5 etc. just add a shooter to the pay out instead of raising prices.

12. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

We charge 5 shooters each $7.00, to win a $25.00 prize. That covers prizes, birds, wear and tear, power, help, the works.

13. Timbob44

Timbob44 Member

Just went to one last weekend. Cost $2.00 a shoot Annie Oakley. With 40 shooters at a time. Give away two birds per shoot and is great fun. Thanks, Tim

14. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

Timbob44 - our Annies are a$5.00 buy-in, perhaps a $1-2 life buy, a percentage to the club which varies depending on the number of shooters, with winner take all (or split 60-40 between the last two shooters, if they agree). The biggest Annie we ever held had shooters spread from about post 4 on the trap beside the one we were shooting on, all the way over to about 8 or 10 shooters past post 5. It was uneven because of the bush being close to the end of the trap. I don't remember how much was in the pot, but it would have paid for the weekend, I'm sure.

15. BobHoukOregon

BobHoukOregon Member

Melba is a great place to shoot and the price and paybacks are fair. But it is of to whine it just don't do anygood.

16. creamfrog

creamfrog TS Member

Its not the cost of the turkey shoot that matters. What matters is who counts the money at the end of the shoot. Much like their elections; its not who you cast your vote for but who tallies the votes.

17. plinker611

plinker611 Member

turkey $1.39/lb average?10-12 lb turkey,secondplace prize?breakfast sausage,$2 worth(1 1/2 lb),targets-white flyers at $10/case,trap help($ 7.50/hrX 2-3), and other fixed cost,(elec,heat,maintaince.??)yes there is cost inviolved to run a shoot.

.we run 6 shooters/line at $5 per shooter. yes the extra a club puts into meat shoots is to make the club extra $$$$ for taxes,insurance,and to keep a club open,,

,as far as you cheepscapes go i have a question,,,,,are you the club bitchers too???? mark jones

18. Husy rider

Husy rider Member

$15.00 at our club.
    15 shooters per event.
    Turkeys 2.05 per pound.

19. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

Pocatello Trap Club, $4.50 (up from $4.00 last year).

20. ImpalaBob

ImpalaBob Member

We charge $8 per shooter ($4 targets / $4 prize money). 3 each 5 man squads per relay = 15 shooters > Payout 4 turkeys by Lewis Class. WE MAKE NO PROFIT OFF OF THE MEAT PRIZE! Turkeys cost averaged $15.04 per bird. $60 prize money in / $60.16 cost. Close enough among friends. Happy Thanksgiving!!

FWIW on November 4th we ran 39 squads / 13 relays / giving out 52 turkeys for prizes. NO COMPLAINTS from any of our great shooters. Using the Lewis Class scoring we had many "below 20" take home turkeys. It is a joy to see a new shooter's smile when they see that they won something! The Holiday "joy of giving" was in full force as several who won multiple turkeys gave the extras to friends!!!

The Montgomery County Federation of Sportsmen's Clubs here in PA are a great group of Clubs. Our shooters both in Winter League and monthly Meat Shoots are some of the best people you will ever meet!!!!

Bob Fix
    UPSA Secretary

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

turkey shoot cost

yakima sportsman turkey shoot cost