1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Cost of targets

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Wato, Apr 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wato

Wato TS Member

Hi from West Oz.
    Just wondering what you pay for clay targets over there and have you had a recent price increase. White Flyers over here have recently gone up in price which with the A$ to US$ relationship seems a bit strange. If the cost there has gone up fair enough or we may be being scalped by the importer.
    Cheers Ian.
  2. frostyman

frostyman Member

White Flyer just raised their prices here in Missouri. I think it was raised by 1.25 per case of 135, so about 1 cent each. I don't know what they actually cost per case but it is somewhere around $10 US. I am sure it depends on how many you buy and how far it has to be shipped.

I did see Wal-Mart had White Flyers for 7.87 for a case of 90.
  3. Wato

Wato TS Member

Thanks for that. Wish we could get them at that price they cost us about $30US for a case of 135.
  4. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Active Member

China will sell you targets at a decent price. I hear they are re-usable...
  5. Mike Battista

Mike Battista Active Member

Target prices are going up due to the increased cost of pitch to the target manufacturers.
    Mike Battista
  6. wolfram

wolfram Active Member

Wow! $30 per case - thats a lot of money. I suppose the shipping costs are what is driving that price.

We are seeing significant increases in price for the pitch based targets here along with a general availability problem. So we switched to Wite Flyer Bio-degradable targets. They don't give up the satifying black smoke but you can manage good scores with them.

You guys down under are pretty resourceful - perhaps its time to look into making bio-degradable targets locally.
  7. Nutso

Nutso Member

When I bought targets it always seemed like the case price followed the price of fuel.
  8. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Active Member

What about these guys...

IPSWICH business Clay Targets Australia is a global leader in the manufacture of clay targets and has created an environmentally friendly product entirely sourced from the local community.
  9. mike2010

mike2010 TS Member

We was told that the reason for the increase was that the pitch plant caught fire (or blew-up) last year and they thought it would be back up and going 100% by the 2012 shooting season and there not quit there yet,heard it will be late June or July,but when the word got out, and clubs that did not need targets went ahead and ordered anyway and that is what is putting the shortage on targets,hopefully when they get the pitch plant back up and going targets will come back down,all we can do is hope.
  10. mixer

mixer Active Member

Up to $11.35 a case delivered to S. Florida based on 15,000 cases or 2,000,000 targets a year.

Eric
  11. Dave P

Dave P Active Member

What is the process in making clay birds? Is PITCH a product, bi-product of something or what?
  12. mixer

mixer Active Member

Here you go, all you ever wanted to know about Pitch.

"The heating (dry distilling) of wood causes tar and pitch to drip away from the wood and leave behind charcoal. Birchbark is used to make a particularly fine tar. The terms tar and pitch are often used interchangeably. However, pitch is considered more solid while tar is more liquid. Traditionally, pitch that was used for waterproofing buckets, barrels and small boats was drawn from pine." : Wikipedia.

Eric
  13. j2jake

j2jake Active Member

Eric, you guys need to change your supplier. Jake
  14. Wato

Wato TS Member

Thankyou all for your replies. We are looking at the Clay Targets Australia products. The biggest killer for us is freight even these are going to come in at about 15.5c US per target by the time we get them across the country. As it is we drive the 350mile round trip to the city to pick up our targets as it saves us $300 a pallet in freight. White Flyers are the prefered target by shooters over here.
    Cheers Ian.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.