1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cost of spring/firing pin install

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by revbook, Mar 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. revbook

revbook Member

I will be purchasing firing pin and spring replacements from Jim Flynn for my BT100. How much should I expect to pay a gunsmith to have them installed?

Don in PA

2. JT 27

JT 27 Member

More than if the installing gunsmith had supplied the parts. The simile is that you don't take eggs to the diner for breakfast.

3. stilltrying

stilltrying Member

Do it yourself it is easy. Remove butt plate. Loosen screw holding stock on. Take out the detachable trigger. Look for the pin that holds the firing pin in. With a small drift punch or a small finishing nail tap the pin to the thicker side of the receiver you not need to drive it all the way out. Take out the firing pin and spring. Clean the channel the firing pin was in. Put spring on the firing pin and put back in channel. Make sure the grove in the firing pin will allow the holding pin to past. I do not remember if the groove goes up or down. Tap the holding pin back in. Put the stock back on and tighten the bolt snugly not too tight, put recoil pad back. Look at the parts illustration show how things go together somewhat. etc. etc. All you need to fix a browning are parts from browning, a screwdriver, a small nail and a hammer. OK you can use the handle of the screw driver as hammer. Do not dry fire that gun unless you have a snap cap in it.

4. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I would say $40-$50 would be fair.

5. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

Figure labor at 30 minutes rounded up. It took me 2 hours on my Citori to change the main spring, firing pins, firing pin springs, and hammer springs. I replaced the ejector springs with 1911 firing pin springs. Now I did screw up putting the one hammer spring back and bent the hammer spring plunger. $12.00 give or take to Browning and I had two new ones a couple days later. I went ahead and took at the other hammer plunger which I got in fine and replaced with the new one.

Point being, I had never opened up a Citori until this project. A gun smith who has done this thousand times will have complete replacement springs installed in 15-20 minutes easy.

If I was going to pay to have the springs replaced, I would take to a gun smith that routinely works on shotguns.

6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

just do it yourself. It is a piece of cake

7. stilltrying

stilltrying Member

If by change you have a thumbhole stock you will access the bolt holding the stock on thru the pistol grip not the butt plate.

8. wrd

wrd Member

Replacing the firing pin and firing pin spring is easy. Do it yourself and learn something.
    Jim Flynn's firing pins are longer and a new hammer spring may not be needed.
    Which is a good thing because the hammer spring , in my experience, is impossible.
    If anyone knows of a way to compress a Flynn hammer spring and get it in place, I would love to hear it.

9. ImpalaBob

ImpalaBob Member

I've done my BT-100 top lever return spring twice and my firing pin spring once ... both were very easy with basic tools. Bob (in S.E. PA)

10. GW22

GW22 Active Member

I'd like Jim and/or others to please comment on what Roger said about Jim's springs dramatically increasing trigger pull force. I've got one of his firing pin & spring kits I'm planning on installing soon and I'll be pretty disappointed if the pull force increases by 2 pounds. That would mean even the lightest setting would exceed 5 pounds. Jim has a good reputation and I don't believe he would do that without warning customers.

Jim?

-Gary

11. ClaySmoke

ClaySmoke Member

I have put in multiple sets of Jim's Browning firing pins and springs kit. The tool I use for installing the hammer springs is simply a very stout wide blade flat tip screwdriver. I clamped the tip in my vise and heated the blade with a torch until it was red hot, then bend it over to 90 degrees. Once this is done, take a dremel with a round grinder bit and put a notch in the tip of the blade. This makes a perfect tool to compress the hammer springs for easy removal and installation. Or if your not up to the task, you can just buy a similar tool here:

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/shotgun-tools/shotgun-specialty-tools/shotgun-mainspring-tool-prod21218.aspx

I personally like my tool better, as the blade and handle on mine are considerably longer than Brownell's tool, and I think the 90 degree tip helps with alignment. Some people also take a pair of needle nose or sidecutters and drill a hole through the mating edges to create closed hole to grasp around the hammer rod.

12. ClaySmoke

ClaySmoke Member

I have never experienced what Roger has seen with his gun. All of the sets I have installed have not affected the trigger pull weight at all. I will say that the triggers feel crisper when they release after the new springs were installed, however. Garrett

13. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

If its anything like a Perazzi, its a piece of cake. If a dummy like me can do it, then anyone on this forum can.

14. JPM

JPM Member

I bought a set of springs (recoil, hammer, firingpin) for my wife's Beretta AL 2 from J&P recently with the intentions of installing them myself. I decided to take them to my gunsmith instead. Today they were installed. I got to watch. Boy oh boy am I glad that I took them to a competent gunsmith. It was way over my pay grade. He charged me $50 and I think that it was money very well spent. JPM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.