1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cost of shot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 1oldtimer, Oct 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

I recently ran out of my $30.00 shot. Had to replace it with $37.99 + tax. How high does it have to go before you get to the quit shooting point? Or will you just shoot less. I am going to quit shooting registered and just shoot the games, with mostly 1 1/4 oz.# 6 shot. Every time I buy components,the price has increased. Where will it end?
    Clyde

2. mtimney

mtimney TS Member

I just paid $37/bag buying in bulk. The stores in New Hampshire run $40 to $44 a bag.

I can still reload for under $5 a box. I realize that's not much better than what you can buy Remington Gun Clubs and other bargain shells for. But, I do think I'm getting a better shell by reloading.

This sport has always been expensive, but it is getting even more so.
    Mark T

3. schneep

schneep Member

Buy reclaimed shot for $ 1.05 lb

4. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

Gone are the days of cheap shot. It sucks. You're seeing the effects of cheap money. In August, 2012, the price of raw lead was approx. $1,900.00 metric ton (2205 lbs.). That's $22.54 per 25 lb. bag of shot just in raw lead prices. Every Quantitative Easing by the Federal Reserve drives increases in commodities; i.e., lead is a commodity and will continue to increase in price as the Fed prints more money. Food and healthcare will continue to increase in price also. Sounds like we could put much of the blame on our government because of our fiscal irresponsibilities. I will continue to shoot as I love the game. However, I won't be shooting 500 shells a week. BT100dc

5. seymore/82

seymore/82 Active Member

1-OldTimer, Rather than give up shooting try some other alternatives as suggested. Reclaimed shot at $1.05 a LB and shop around for componets for reloading at bulk rates. Use the cheaper factory shells or the Premiums with the Rebates. I will agree shooting 100 targets anywhere has esculated but what hasn't. AS Jeff says Break-M-All.

6. Bama73

Bama73 Member

At our range we were told to expect shot to go up on the next shipments, and maybe again after that. I went ahead and ordered 20 bags at 40.00 per bag. It sucks no doubt, but still cheaper than buying premium shells which my reloads are the equivalent IMO.

7. HTSmith

HTSmith Active Member

I stocked up on gunclubs and super targets from bass pro and Brownells at a cost of less that $5/box delivered to my door. As far as reloads, I've cut back to 7/8 oz and they are just fine for practice. An added benefit is they don't kick at all.

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Wise up trap shooters. Trap ranges should be designed with a shot recovery area. Clean shot can recovered and returned to the shooters at a redonable price. Ranges like this are already in use in Europe with great success. 90 percent of clean shot is recovered and sold back to the shooters at a bargain price.

If you google international trap shooting in Italy you can get pictures of the setup. HMB

9. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I agree,

The shot curtain would be a good thing.

10. capvan

capvan Active Member

I enjoy reloading just as much as shooting. Something to do on those cold, Vermont nights.

We don't have any type of pay TV (cable, satellite) so we watch very little TV. No cell phones. So the cost of shooting for both my wife and myself is pretty reasonable compared to what we could be spending the $$ on.

cap

11. Bill Roberts

Bill Roberts Active Member

Eastern Washington State, West Coast $37.80.

Bill

12. Joen

Joen Member

HMB what is the website for the recovery system googled international trap shooting in Italy with no luck thanks

13. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Joen,

issf-sports.org Go to mens double trap on the photoplayer and you can see pictures of the range. HMB

14. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

The answer for me is to give Leadminer some business if I can ever get close enough to him. Bill

15. Joen

Joen Member

do anyone know where we could get the spec on a wall (high, distance from trap house Etc.) thanks

16. lel4866

lel4866 Member

I just checked the average price of lead over the past 5 years. Unlike some claims here, it HAS NOT gone up substantially - varies from 80 cents/lb to $1.10 per pound. RIGHT NOW (well, Oct 25), the average of the 3 forward month futures contracts is 92 cents per pound.

So there really has been no increase with respect to the US dollar. So, why the increase (from about $30/25 lbs to $40/25lbs)?

17. Kevin Fleming

Kevin Fleming Active Member

Energy to melt, package and transport it...

It costs twice as much in fuel alone to ship as it did 4 years ago.

18. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

It would all be a lot easier to take if our incomes rose half as fast as the prices on everything..but thats not gonna happen sadly

19. lel4866

lel4866 Member

Drill, baby, drill...

20. Lawman214

Lawman214 TS Member

I wish we had a source locally for reclaimed shot, but we don't. I've never used any reclaimed, but at less than 30 bucks a bag, I'd try some. I currently buy Lawrence Magnum at a club on a local Army base...$35 per bag, no tax.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.