1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cost of shooting

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by hmb, Dec 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Fixed costs at the club, such as utilities, taxes, equipment and maintenance should be paid with dues money. The amount charged for shooting a round of trap or skeet should be as close to cost as possible. HMB

2. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Dave..I agree with you on keeping costs to a minimum. You did not indicate whether your members got a different rate than non members (if not required).

The club I helped to start had a pretty good membership, however, a large part of them hardly shot. However, they were the first to bitch about the fact that their membership was giving non members cheap shooting.

It was the non members who did at least 50% of shooting and held up the club.

Hopefully you dont or wont have the same problem.

Regards....Gerald

3. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

Unless I am mistaken, a few do most , by no means does a large percentage of members work or shoot.If you have money, it is because a few have created events that have helped the treasurey, better keep doing what you have, Rainy days do appear.It is a concern to my little club as well. But to my amazement
    nobody ever asks were does the money come from to assist in major costs.Ther is a few that definately know. And we do it because we like to do it.
    It is a complex subject.

Joe Woods/Ontario

4. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

Interesting/ We have same problem/ I suggested we build a pool/ But not sure if anyone would use it except trap help.
    Take Care.
    Well I guess if we have lots of trap shoots , we will need trap help and the pool would get used.

Yours Truly:

Joe Woods/Ontario

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

Why not use the money in a way to both help shooters and protect the money. Buy a large order of reloading components and sell them at cost. It might surprise some how fast 20 tons of shot will sell at $27.00 per bag.

Pat Ireland

6. Lead Man

Lead Man TS Member

Off topic to the shooting but you might want to look at being up to date on all NRA recommended range practices. An environmental impact study and best management practices would be highly recommended. With the current admin and the problems of law suits brought for noise, clubs who have the money should be looking into protecting themselves from being ran out of business.

As important as it is to keep members shooting it is imperative to keep a place for them to shoot. These things will not keep you from being sued or having legal problems but what it will do is let the judge know you are trying to keep everything in line as much as possible. Let a pissed off neighbor or even a member with an axe to grind find out you have a few hundred thousand in the bank and watch the paperwork fly.

Our company does the impact studies and are written with the club in mind. If you don't use us, use someone and get protected as much as possible.

The cost should run around $5k or less if done in conjunction with a lead reclaim.

7. Lead Man

Lead Man TS Member

Forgot to add check the NRA website for additional info.

8. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

You should see if adjoining land can be purchased. This is a good time for that because of declining real estate values.

I'm not an investment counselor, but I see severe inflation in the future due to the excess printing of money going on now. I don't know what you call a lot of money in your treasury but I would look into some kind of hard asset purchase if possible.

The point of club dissolution is best addressed by putting in your by-laws wording that prevents any member from benefitting if this should take place. If our club Dissolves the proceeds go to wildlife organizations.

You need to do this, I have seen some kinky stuff happen with clubs and land when they ceased operation.

HM

9. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Why not invest in a membership marketing program to get non-shooters to take up shooting?

10. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

I would be laying money in reserve incase a time comes when you may have to move. If you are ever forced out and bought it would be nice to have the land very far away and lots of it and build right in the middle. I sure would be a distance from any city ordanance for a long time to come. 12

11. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Just a little bitching on my part . Two of us go some place to shoot practice every week all winter and some in the summer . We like to visit clubs we don,t get a chance to shoot at much in the summer because of local ATA shoots at home . Why should we pay 25% to 30% more then a member when it,s targets in the air that pay the bills and we just don,t shoot as much as we would at the higher price .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.