1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Cost of Shooting ??????

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Ron Burdick, May 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ron Burdick

Ron Burdick Member

I am not real sure how to ask this.

Is there a formula to use to determine the cost of shoot prices to charge to put on a ATA registered shoot?

For example: cost of targets + cost of labor + cost of trophies =

Thanks

Ron Burdick
  2. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

Ron,

The formula is; fixed cost + variable cost / number of shooters.

If you break it down to one shooter it is easier to calculate.

Fixed cost equals; mortgage note, property tax, cost of 25 birds, score sheets. SG&A (sales, general & administration costs) etc. Anything associated with the event at a fixed price.

Variable cost equals; utility bills, refreshments for the help, the helps wages, insurance, anything that is associated with the shoot that changes in cost.

Hope this helps.

Chuck

P.S. When you get done calculating the cost don't forget to add in the profit margin for your club to calculate your charges to the shooters.
  3. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Ron,

It looks to me like you pretty much have it figured out however instead of multiplying the figures you add them. It does not have to be complicated.

Cost of targets

Labor cost

Trophy cost

Commissary costs if selling food

Fuel costs for support equipment

All of the above can be estimated with a great deal of accuracy. Keep a ledger add it all up.

Keep another ledger for income. Add that all up.

Most ATA shoots charge 26 to 30 bucks/hundred for fees, not including options, purses, etc.

Once the event is over, combine total expenses with total income. If the number is positive ya did well!

Our club can often make a 1.5 to 2.5k net on our ATA shoots. We use all volunteer help however except for typically two trap "boys" who get minimum wage.

Good luck.

Guy Babin

Westminster, MD
  4. spitter

spitter Active Member

I would start with your present cost of "practice" targets... I don't know that you have to reinvent the wheel for registered birds... does the existing price point of the practice birds cover the direct/indirect expense of running the shooting operation?!

That's where I would start sharpening the pencil.

Add the additional overhead expected to be incurred with holding a registered program - labor, supplies, promotion, etc... if you're having food - I would require the food operation to be it's own profit center...

Jay
  5. wolfram

wolfram Active Member

Guy and Jay are givin sound advice, the other thing I would add is you should price the ATA target thrown at your club similar to what other clubs in the area are doing. Around here that cost is usually $27 to $30 per hundred. From that point work backward to find where you can better spend the money generated by a shoot for your next shoot.
  6. Ron Burdick

Ron Burdick Member

7. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

RE: should price the ATA target thrown at your club similar to what other clubs in the area

And, if your not making a profit at that price point?
  8. Nutso

Nutso Member

One rule of thumb some clubs use is to charge the non-member round price for targets: e.g. if non-member price is $5 per round, then the price for a 100- target event would be $20 plus any added money, plus fees. If you provide a meal then add that in as well.

Seems like the going price is $24 to $30 dollars, plus fees.
  9. ken1okie

ken1okie Member

Trust me.....you don't really want to know!!!!!!
  10. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

There's also this: I barely recall the fees for one event in or around 1978 being $12.00 to include all that was necessary before ATA or PITA daily fees and any other add ons. That same amount in 2012 would be $42.35 based on data from the Bureau of labor statistics - i.e. plane old "inflation." So, how do we manage to have typical basic fees for one event at a registered shoot in the mid $20 range? It has to come from reduced added money, value of trophies, and so on......breakemall
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.