1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Cost of Shooting VS. Trophies

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by nameisjoe, Mar 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nameisjoe

nameisjoe TS Member

The main purpose of registering targets is to qualify for the Grand. $350K couldn't lure more shooters to the grand last year.

As long as the ATA's big shoot is at Sparta the sport will suffer.

Fortunately the Cardinal Center shoots keep growing. There is added enthusiasm to register targets for competing at the CC.

As things progress the largest shoot will be at the Cardinal as there isn't anything grand in Illinois.

2. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Oh, vomit....

3. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

$20 a 100. Lucky you. Pretty cheap from what I have been paying.

Unless you can come up with a local sponsor or two, especially at the smaller shoots, always a battle...

Have somone dedicated to the task (a peoples person) who contacts local businesses each year to see what can be donated. Have won wrenches, flashlights, folding chairs, mugs, shirts, hats and on and on.

Some sponsors require a year notice as its budgeted money and everyone has there hand out. Beer distributers comes to mind!

4. 870

870 Active Member

"The main purpose of registering targets is to qualify for the Grand"

I hate to say it, but that is the most ridiculous thing I've read here since good old Lumper disappeared.

5. spitter

spitter Active Member

ditto what 870 said...

IMO, as one who doesn't really compete often, I've never had an issue attending tournaments and paying higher fees (including trophy expenses) when I knew that in advance...

I have no issues with minimum qualification thresholds to qualify for non-penalty shooting at tournaments...

I'm just a proponent of looking at registering targets and increasing target counts from another perspective - education and training...

Jay

6. Brad Dysinger

Brad Dysinger Member

doggai, do you drive a volt? You must if you think newer is always better. Brad

7. nameisjoe

nameisjoe TS Member

What part of "penalty yardage" confuses you?
    [​IMG]

8. nameisjoe

nameisjoe TS Member

Last year was the first year I was at a CC shoot. The trophies were fine but the attendance keeps going up.

You don't have to offer $350K to get people to shoot there.

Unless private money keeps flowing to Sparta the Cardinal Classic will have a bigger crowd. The State Shoot is getting closer to Sparta's attendance each year.

The figures are available on Stewarts website.

9. 870

870 Active Member

name:

I'm not confused at all. Just think your posts make no sense.

10. nameisjoe

nameisjoe TS Member

Gary,

Thanks for asking about my past.

Yes, I shot at the Grand. Or did you mean was I ever in a shoot off at Vandalia? Yes, I did that too. Or did you mean did I ever attend the OSTA shoots there? Yes, I attended many shoots there as well. Maybe you meant did I earn any yardage there. Excluding a 1/2 yard at WV and 1 yard earned at Cicero the rest of my yardage was earned at Vandalia. I have received 3 yards reduction since then.

Answering one of your other questions, yes I have been to Sparta. Wasn't anything grand there. I could never afford to travel to lodging like I could in Vandalia.

You will never have to worry about outgrowing the facility in Sparta. Even with $350K in added money they couldn't attract more shooters. And if the added money ever stops Sparta will fall on its face.

11. nameisjoe

nameisjoe TS Member

Gary,

You asked if I am aware of many issues.

I am aware that the Cardinal Center was throwing registered targets before Sparta was.

Fact always confuse issues.

If you say the ATA might have been looking to move because they were outgrowing the facility then that would only be because the Vandalia area is a great area for the Grand.

The Sparta fiasco has proven itself.

I would love to see 5,000 shooters at Vandalia again. But what do I know?

12. nameisjoe

nameisjoe TS Member

Overcrowding will never be a problem at Sparta.

13. nameisjoe

nameisjoe TS Member

Gary,

There were sites offered in Ohio.

Facts always confuse things.

[​IMG]

14. nameisjoe

nameisjoe TS Member

Gary,

A group from Ohio went to meetings held by the airport. They stated they had no plans for the land. And they haven't done anything with it.

The ATA had to leave because they did not negotiate a new contract. Tom Acklin sold out Ohio.

It does matter who threw registered targets first. The OSTA said they would build a facility capable of holding the Grand and they did. The ATA said they were moving the Grand to Sparta. But there isn't anything grand there. It will fall on its face when the private money dries up.

The Cardinal Center will continue to grow. I thought the trophies were great and plan to attend all the shoots there this year.

I could never afford to attend Sparta's shoot due to the high cost of lodging and gas to and from St. Louis.

15. nameisjoe

nameisjoe TS Member

Gary,

When I am not shooting in Sparta my money isn't going to politicians in the biggest anti-gun state.

Also as to Sparta being free...it has nearly killed our sport. Sparta wasn't free.

The Cardinal will be around when Sparta falls.
    [​IMG]

16. 870

870 Active Member

"A group from Ohio went to meetings held by the airport. They stated they had no plans for the land. And they haven't done anything with it. The ATA had to leave because they did not negotiate a new contract."

Well joe, there is some news to me. I'm just going to ask if you are full of BS?

17. nameisjoe

nameisjoe TS Member

You can go to the TS thread "Vandalia March 28, 2012"

There you will see pictures of the land today. That is the land the EC told everyone the airport needed.

Dont let the facts get in the way.

18. 870

870 Active Member

joe: I guess you are full of it.

19. nameisjoe

nameisjoe TS Member

Gary,

It does matter as you say who built the Cardinal Center. The person you seem to be disrespecting is Mr.Fishburn.

Aden has always played an important role in the OSTA. The OSTA is full of leaders as compared to the sleazes that have sold out the ATA.

Don't tell someone from Ohio you know the real history. You obviously only know what the EC allowed the morons to read. You have read the EC minutes. Then you don't know squat. Your posts have only shown your ignorance of the truth.

I remember campground overcrowding. There were 5,000 people shooting there. You certainly will never have that many at Sparta. Like I said nearly half a million couldnt get more shooters there last year.

The Cardinal shoots will grow by at least 15% again.

Good luck winning at the Cardinal shoots. The best will be there.

20. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Gary, If You had spent your whole life and shooting life in Ohio, you would understand the emptiness that we in Ohio and PA. etc. experienced when politics and under the table money stole the Grand from us. You would never understand otherwise. Clyde
    PS I have shot Sparta all but 1 year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.