1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cost of Shooting v. other activities in life?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by jnoemanh, Jul 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jnoemanh

jnoemanh TS Member

Shooting is cheap compared to -

Country Clubs @ $10K per year plus $40 for 18 holes.

$30K Bass boats w/ $40K rigs to haul them = $200/lb fish

Private airplanes that cost (net) $1500/hr.

Girlfriends that cost $50K for the lawyers and 2/3 of your income for the rest of your life.

2. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Everything Ive had pleasure in cost me, trap. motorcross, remote control planes, cars, golf. Try that high speed go cart racing. Called F1 here. even fishing is crazy. If its fun its gonna cost ya!

3. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

If you smoke one pack of cigarettes a day a $5 a pack that really ads up.

4. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

The cost of going to my states ATA shoots averages about $250/day for just me, Gas,motel,food,shooting fees & shells. $500 for a weekend, I do this once a month along with at least one or two local shoots. $800-900 per month takes some budgeting, I'm glad up here this only happens about 5 months a year before it settles into the winter league.
    This year it'll be more now that the wife has learned to shoot and we found that planning our annual spring Flordia trip around some chain shoots makes for some good times. I also just made motel reservations for Sparta, can't wait to see what that'll add up to.
    Lucky trap shooting is my only real hobby.

5. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

I have to agree with Irfner. I am actually taking Friday and Monday off. Had my name on the calander for 8 months for those 2 days. Now I find out only 1 event on Saturday and 1 on Sunday. This really sucks. What is PITA thinking with planning like that.

6. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I had sex once in 1968 and have been paying ever since!!

7. bobby ward

bobby ward Member

I think a simple answer sir is looking at the expenditures you quote and identifying which of those are optional expenses and which are mandatory or necessary. You do have to eat and you do need to lube your car and do maintenance related things. While we all love to shoot, it is not a mandatory activity and it IS as are all other elective or optional activities in our lives, direclty effected by finances and the cost of the activity itself. If it goes up substantially, many are effected to the point where it becomes cost prohibitive and they will cut back or stop until it becomes affordable again.

8. jimbob

jimbob TS Member

The average skeet tourney is $50 per 100. That's $250 for 4 guns plus doubles BEFORE options. Two nights at a motel is $160-200. Then add gas, food for 2 people (me and the wife) and your looking at a $600 weekend. Or I can....

Go fishing. I live close to the Texas coast and I can fill up (20 gallon tank) my 19 ft skiff and truck for about $90. Gas down here is $2.69 average. Spend one night at a rented house for $75 and I get two days of fishing for less than half of one skeet tournament.

I plan on shooting the 4X50 target shoots that are 1 day and MAYBE the world shoot. I'm lucky that my wife loves San Antonio.

9. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

That's right...if you think this trapshooting is expensive....go buy a boat (saltwater type) and just see how much a hobby can really cost!

Curt - Delaware

10. pdq

pdq Member

Curt is right. I put myself thru university by working summers as a mechanic (in addition to other jobs during the school year) in a boat yard, so got a quick education regarding the high cost of owning/operating large or offshore boats. Look at most boat yards and they are packed. Cost of buying the boat is huge. Annual cost of maintenance, dockage, insurance, fishing equipment, and fuel is huge. Most amazing of all is that most of the summer, the boats sat at the dock and rarely got used!!!

I have friends in Islamorada FL who are big into saltwater fishing. My deal with them is that I stay at their place with them typically for 2 days of fishing, they feed me, we use their boat & all their equipment, and I pay the fuel cost. For 2 days of fishing we'll typically burn 400 gallons of fuel -- you do the math!!

2 sayings come to mind:

"Boats don't run on Thank Yous"

"If you wanna to play, you gotta pay".

Seems to be the way the world works.

Pete

11. shutnlar

shutnlar TS Member

Getting caught with another woman makes trapshooting cheap by comparison
    Larry

12. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

Masturbation is not for fun - it is for the needy that cannot find a willing partner! Gas or ass - nobody rides free! If you want free you can stay at home with wifey. But then that leads to heart attacks and death

13. skydiver

skydiver TS Member

People will spend what they can on their hobbies. Shooting is a lot less expensive than racing was.

14. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

I think drag racing is probably the most expensive hobby that I can think of. If you blow up a 600 or 800 hp engine it's the same as throwing your P-gun or K-gun in the trash and buying a new one every few weeks. 0 - 250 mph in 5 or 6 seconds is probably like breaking 100 from the 27 every day you shoot. This is just my opinion. Larry

15. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Shooting's cheaper than getting married and divorced.

John C. Saubak

16. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Drag racing - A-men! BTDT.

17. Wahoo

Wahoo TS Member

I went to the Outdoor World (read Bass Pro-Shops)in Atlanta over the past week. They had an 18' bass boat for sale for a measly $55,000. It had everything but a basement and a flushing toilet, but it did have a Mercury outboard motor only slightly smaller than an original VW Beetle. Maybe I should have gotten off the bus a few years ago but to pay $55,000 for a boat that is not even seaworthy enough to go a mile or so offshore is a trifle over the top. I might have bought the boat but I figured my '01 Taurus wagon couldn't pull it out of the showroom, much less to Buggs Island to fish for crappie. Besides, I was some $54,990 short of having the sale price. I had to buy something since I was so revved up so, anticipating a tirp to Southport and Oak Island, I bought a package of fake sandfleas guarnateed to just slay the pompano.

18. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

People can justify the cost of anything if they want it bad enough ... I Drag Raced for many years and the cost was just a part of racing and return was not good on a consistant basis especially once the Factory got into it and cost didn't matter to them, winning did ... I also ventured into boating and have to say that of everything I have done in my lifetime boating was the most pleasurable thing that I did with clothes on (usually) and not being in the bed ... I had 3 Offshore type boats (Besides a few others) and seldom had problems with them but they were very well maintained so they really never became the big hole in the water where you just dump money ... I enjoy trapshooting but nothing like I did at one time and more so than else anything I don't want to waste a day sitting at a club waiting to shoot ... The cost is one thing but the waste of time is not recoverable ... I'm getting back into "Hot Rods" and the cost factor is easily justified because I have always been a car guy, Drag racer, wrench bender, and performance addict ... I just bought a 1967 Plymouth Belvedere I, 2 dr sedan (lite body), with a built 440 in it and have plans on putting a 426 Repro Hemi (465 HP/485 Lbs of torque) in it in the very near future ... Imagine paying 10X's what a car sold for new and then putting a new Perazzi under the hood in the form of a Hemi engine ($13,477.00 + freight, headers, carb, and starter) just to take it to car shows ... Like I said in the begining, you can justify just about anything and man was my wife surprised when she saw that thing sitting in the garage ... The really nice things about guns is they don't take up near as much space as cars do when you store them, but you cannot drive a Perazzi either ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.