1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cost of Shooting Trap -- Problem Solved!!!!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by pdq, Mar 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pdq

pdq Member

Breaking news flash.......

So, over dinner last night, the missus and me were talking, and after discussing how shooting trap saves me $30,000 a year in alimony payments (prior thread), there were still expenses involved, and I needed to find a way of economizing as money was tight. She asked how.

I said that I planned to stop smoking, as it was an expensive habit, and at $5/pack of cigarettes, that's a box of shells. Multiply that by 2 packs a day times 7 days a week, and that'd buy 14 boxes of shells, I only shoot 8, so I can sell the other 6 to pay for targets. Then she reminded me that I don't smoke. Darn -- that doesn't work.

Then I said I planned to give up drinking adult beverages during the week, and limit myself to weekends. Then she reminded me that I don't drink during the week. Drat -- she has an answer for everything.

Then I said I was going to give up my annual week long hunting trip for deer in Saskatuwan with my buddies, but she reminded me I didn't have any hunting buddies and had never taken a trip to Canada. I told her that was so, but I might someday. That still doesn't help the current problem she said.

Then I suggested that I give her less money to spend on cosmetics, as they were pretty expensive. She said she needed them in order to look attractive for me. I said it'd be cheaper if I just started drinking during the week. That didn't go over too well.

Then it dawned on me -- it's not that trap shooting is too expensive, it's that I'm not making enough money!!!!

Eureka!!! That's the problem. No wonder I couldn't find a solution to trap shooting being too expensive -- I was trying to solve the wrong problem. So, now I need to find a way to earn a little WAM (Walking Aroung Money). In my community, teenagers charge $25 to cut people's lawn. If I did 2 lawns a week, that'd be $50 bucks. There you go. Or, I could put in 8 - 12 hours a week in the evenings at any one of many fast food places around that have "Help Wanted" signs out.

And, taking that thought even further, I told my wife that she could be cutting lawns on weekends and evenings, while I'm out trap shooting. The more I'm out shooting, the less time I need the lawn mower, so the more she can use it. At this point my wife gently, well not very gently, reminded me that if I pursued this line of thought, I'd no longer be saving $30,000 a year in alimony payments.

So, I need to sharpen the blade on the lawn mower and find a few lawns to cut. Come on guys -- if I can do it, you can to. Find a way to either cut expenses or make a few more bucks and suddenly all the "Trap Shooting Is Too Expensive" problems go away.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Pete

2. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Geeeeeeeeeeeeeee! Why didn't I think of that???? Being retired I could probably spare the time, maybe even 3 a week, I'd have so much money I wouldn't know what to do with it. (I'm sure my wife would volunteer to help get rid of it)GRIN Ross Puls

3. David J Comroe

David J Comroe Active Member

Pete,

I'll gladly pay you $25 to cut my lawn. Let me know what time and day works best for you. Oh, by the way I don't own a lawnmower, hope thats not a problem.

Also, I'll even throw another $50 your way to clean my kitchen, bathroom, and do some easy dusting and vacuuming.

To sweeten the pot, if you know how to wash and iron dress shirts, I can probably take care of all your weekly shell and target expenses!

Feel free to run my proposal by the MRS.

-dave

4. pdq

pdq Member

Dave:

be a pal -- don't mention things like housekeeping and doing shirts if my wife is around. SWMBO may then argue that I should fire the housekeeper, and stop taking my shirts to the laundry as ways of saving money & do all the work myself.

I don't mind (not) giving up smoking and drinking, but you're on sacred ground when you talk about the above.

Side note: when in grade school, I cut peoples large lawns for $2.00. I had to use my dad's lawn mower and gas, so had to pay him 25% of my earnings.

Let's get together and shoot some time.

Pete

5. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Pete, Get a school bus driving job. It' only 4 or 5 hours a day and only when school is in session which amounts to about 1/2 the year. It's not strenious and off all summer for shooting. What more could you ask for! Bill

6. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Pete, that is the most hilarious and well-written humor that I have read in a long time. Thanks for the laughs!

7. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

funny this thread showed up...

when our parks department required paid range officers, I stepped up to help cover two shifts a month (no supervision, no shooting)...

when my wife complained about the time at the range (heck, I was already there volunteering and/or shooting) I mentioned how the hourly covers my shooting expenses for the remainder of the month - argument over!

nothing wrong with a little pt work to leverage one's shooting...

Jay

8. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Jay,

You're fortunate your parks dept allows volunteers. Our county range forbids any volunteers. Parks dept employees only. Something to do with liability issues I would suspect.

Eric

9. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

I like your thinking Pete. Very well written.

10. yendor12

yendor12 Member

Very funny! But if you start winning more... that could be a soloution to all the problems...Remington would supply you with shells, and gun companies would supply you with guns.
    Good luck shooting!
    Rod

11. pdq

pdq Member

vendor12:

I came very close to winning at the level you describe, Krieghoff asking me which gun I'd like to try, Winchester asking where to deliver the skidloads of shells.

Then I woke up, got out of bed, and went to work.

But, I have to say -- the dream was fun while it lasted!!!!

Pete

12. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Since food costs a lot, that would be a place to save. Put on some really old junky clothes and hang around the front door of the rescue mission downtown. Mutter a lot and try to bum cigarettes for better effect. They will let you in and give you free food as soon as the preacher is done. They will try to give you clothes on the way out, don't take them unless you need them. Be sure to thank everyone, they are mostly volunteers. With the money you save, you can shoot trap every weekend.

13. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

I think I know of another sure-fire way to make spare change for shooting expenses:

Haircuts!

I'll charge a couple bucks under the local rates and make a killing. Of course there is a requirement that I do a good job, but none of the recruits at the depot ever complained, so...

14. njuliano

njuliano Member

I am stopping the coffee drinking each day on the way to work and at work. Coffee at say $1.75 x 2 times per day thats $3.50 per day. Times that by 5 days = $17.50 per week or $70 per month. Exclude weekend coffee also @ $2.00 per cup and that gives you an additional, $4.00 per week ($21.40 total) or $16.00 per month totaling $86.00 per month !!

15. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Eric:

Our parks department formerly allowed unpaid volunteers... however, for the very reason you mentioned the range now require W2 paid help, which is why I get a few bucks for each shift and they cover me under their workers comp.

Jay

16. pdq

pdq Member

kiv-c:

Sounds like you hit in a terrific idea -- answer to all your poblems. While I never had the experience of getting a haircut at the depot, from what I understand you could do what -- maybe 10 - 20 haircuts/hour using your prior technique? Even at $10 each, you'd be making some serious money.

Offer "Prorated Haircuts" with discounts based on how bald a person is and you'll probably have them flocking in.

Once you get the first shop up and running, start opening more and franchising them across the country. Try to pick locations close to majoe shoots so that you can take business trips to "visit" your franchise operators. Turn it into a corporation, lease a Bentley to drive around in, join a country club or 3, and shoot AAs and let the empties hit the ground.

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.