1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cost of shooting the Grand - 2013

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by scott calhoun, Jul 15, 2013.

1. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

Cost of shooting this year's Grand. Not trying to make any sort of point, just posting because someone always asks. Does not include CofC event.

Scott

All Events – targets: $953

All Events – options: $2,620

All Events – targets and options: $3,573

Preliminary Week Events – targets: $552

Preliminary Week Events – options: $1,380

Preliminary Week Events – targets and options: $1,932

Championship Week Events – targets: $401

Championship Week Events – options: $1,240

Championship Week Events – targets and options: $1,641

Championship Events – targets: $145

Championship Events – options: $400

Championship Events – targets and options: $545

2. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Nice list. Good for planning your budget. Thanks.

3. Redcobra

Redcobra Active Member

4. Fox32

Fox32 Member

Scott, Add shells @ a cost of $7.50 per box or $30.00 per hundred and what does that add up to?

5. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Not to mention the mandatory purchase of factory shells for the handicap events...

6. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

And while you're at it please tell us just how much the costs vary from any other large major shoot......they look about the same to me.

7. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

Shell costs for 2600 targets @ 30.00 per 100= $780.00.

Atlanta, GA to Sparta, IL Add diesel cost, camping fees and meals.

1050 miles(round trip)@ 8 mpg = 132 gal x 3.95 per gallon of diesel = $521.40

Camping spot paid on a 10 year lease - $375.00 p/yr

meals...who knows.

Sub-total $1676.40

All events, targets and options $3573.00 (Scotts numbers)

Total $5249.40

This doesn't take into consideration that there are 2 shooters in the family.

But have a ball every year. $5000++ well spent. We look at the pictures all year long and smile.

8. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

I've always averaged around $500 a day, all-inclusive. More if my grandson's are with me. But, it has been worth it.

Kip

9. wild gun one

wild gun one Member

winning the clay target championship.......priceless

10. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

Hey Scott, good thread and thanks.

Some points to consider. Who on this earth has ever competed in a TRUE world championship? Far, far less than 1%. The Grand is priceless...at any cost. Memories you'll take to your grave. Consider this :

Get a loan

Make sacrifices for a life experience (spending thousands on a vacation on some sunny beach will not equal the memories competing at the Grand will leave with you)

Go and be with some friends and meet new ones

Visit the beer tent even if you don't drink beer...you'll meet the most interesting people from around the world.

Shop till you drop

See the best products first hand from Kreigoff, Perazzi, CG and ALL the others from eyewear to clothing to leather to...you name it

Bring back quality color catalogs from suppliers you can't get anywhere else. Not to speak of countless memorabilia items and the coveted Grand participation medallion

Meet some nationally known sportswriters (I met Kim Rhode last year and Grits Gresham years ago...had lunch with him)

Be a part of history

Gain stories you can tell your grandchildren...and they'll remember since grandpa was a "Star" in a world event

Once, many years ago, I tied for a class doubles Tuesday event. I was at dinner at Cristie's with C.E. Barnhart and Gene Sears. I was in question as to whether to bother with the shootoff since it was not a main event. Barney told me "thousands of people have shot the Grand all their lives and never made the shootoffs, or won a trophy....go shootoff!". I did, broke 40 straight to win and had two dozen pros and friends shaking my hand. Won a national trophy and a Federal Masters Club plaque

The Grand at Vandalia was Heaven...but Sparta has its own special ambiance and memory making ability...YES. it does!

As the great Mike Jordon/Winchester/Remington said in a nationally televised interview..."It's the people in the sport of trap".

Go, be a part of history, the people and a legacy you have a right to. Be with friends and have a Grand time. Be an ATA shooter and supporter. You'll be glad you did...for a lifetime!

uncle miltie

11. Clay Target SSE

Clay Target SSE Active Member

Mette56:

BEST POST EVER ON TS.Com

Thanks

12. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Most of the cost is options. Don't play them if your handicap average is under about 93; don't play the Lewis classes unless you usually shoot hundreds, and play no jackpot purses whatever unless you are certified big dog.

Take the four grand you saved and would have lost most of and go to really good restaurants all fall and most of winter. It's way more enjoyable than losing it on a fantasy ripoff. They are designed to strip cash from people who are unrealistic about their skill and have little understanding of the way a moderately higher average leads to a massively higher probability of a money-winning score. If you have a 91 average (and few do), a 93 average shooter will beat you over and over and over again before you lay a glove on him.

Options pay off for big dogs and sandbaggers. If you are not either, steer clear of them.

Neil

13. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Have attended over 50 Grands. One shoot off at age 70 with 10 shooters. I won out,priceless. This has never been a poormans sport. Shoot what you can afford.

Clyde

14. 548

548 Guest

It is hard to believe that response came from a past President of the ATA. That's why I value Mr. Winston's posts so much. He seems to cut through all the bs and say it like it should be said. Occassionally I will play the Lewis or the 50's when I'm feeling lucky, but more often than not, winning means possibly getting your option money back. I looked at the pay sheet at a recent state shoot I attended where an un-named big dog (whom I know and greatly respect) shot 100 in one of the preliminary handicap events. His payout was somewhere south of $700 on that event. Far less than I expected. Perhaps my expectations were too high though.

15. eric

eric TS Supporters TS Supporters

I recently had a conversation with Harlan Campbell. He said pretty much what Mr. Winston conveyed above. And I think he is considered a Big Dog, too.

16. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Thanks NEIL good post that makes sense.

17. frostyman

frostyman Well-Known Member

What is also nice is if you get lucky and win $2000.00 but spent $4000.00 you will still get a 1099 tax form in the mail so you can pay taxes on it.

18. BeerKing

BeerKing Active Member

adds up to a good time if you ask me!

19. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Worth every penny I've spent shooting the Grand. Aside from the great time I have shooting, I've met some super nice shooters from all over the World. Quite a few of those I have met are folks from the TS.COM family. It may be one of the most expensive sports but I truly believe it has the best people of any sport.

20. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Neil,

I'm proud of you man, for telling it exactly like it is ... I owe you an adult beverage of your choice ... WPT ... (YAC) ...