1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cost of shells

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jakearoo, Sep 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

I realize this is a rather simple question but what are you all paying for shells these days? Do you think the price will remain somewhat stable? Regards, Jake

2. pigkiller

pigkiller Member

I used the reloading calculator in this site and it costs me about $4.50 to $5 per box to reload. Then again, this is California--reloading supplies might be cheaper elsewhere. Frankly, I think the calculator is off--I shoot 1-ounce loads with 17 grains of Clays for singles. You don't need more than an ounce for 16 yards, IMHO.

3. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Recently bought Federal Top Gun 1-1/8 oz 3 dram Eq. for $46.99/flat.

-Gary

4. pjcodner

pjcodner TS Member

I purchase RIO's 1oz 3 Dr 1280 in 8 or 7-1/2 shot and RIO's 1 1/8 oz 3 Dr 1200 8 shot for my wife. We are paying $53 per case of 250 rounds. So that is right around $5 per box.

With the price of lead I don't think I could reload them cheaper than that.

I can also get Nobel Sport in the 1300 fps or 1250 I think for about $47 per case but I don't like them as much as the RIO's.

5. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

Reloading to me in CA is not cheaper than buying flats. But it keeps me out of the traffic and away from the chaos of the hustle and bustle. So should the price be the same or more or less a few bucks, it is all worth it to me.

I have really gotten to favor the roll crimping technique. And just the great feeling I get breaking 25 on a run with my loaded shells is enough for me.

6. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

$54/flat for Estates or Top Gun - Western part of country. You can beat those prices slightly if you roll your own and shop around for components.

I doubt those prices can hold given the ever shrinking value of the dollar.

7. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

$50 (+/-) for Top Guns & Estates here in DE...and no sales taxes...

The price should remain stable and may even dip some as our economy keeps sliding..

Curt

8. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

As a side note, I was cleaning some stuff from my reloading area and found a receipt for Lawrence Magnum shot, 12 bags for $132.00 (March 1992).

Curt

9. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

Last spring our club ordered Estates through our local dealer for $50.00 a flat. Bass Pro raised the price of Remington Gun Clubs from $5.00 a box to 5.49 a box from 2010 to 2011. I paid 54.00 a flat for pink Federal Top Guns at the Grand. Jack (Southwest Missouri)

10. mallard2

mallard2 Active Member

Estate 1oz 1200 fps $4.77 at Wal-mart.

My only complaint is that I can load a very soft but still fast ennough load. Most new shells recoil more than my reloads.

New loads may be cheaper, but hard to find the exact one you like all the time.

If you can buy lead at $25-$30, I still think it is about a dollar cheaper per box to reload. At forty bucks for lead, no way.

11. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Well-Known Member

The handgun and center fire rifle guys have a saying:

"If you are reloading to save money, you are reloading for the wrong reason."

Mike Durhan

12. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Your cheaper shells, Gun Club,Estate,Top Gun ETC.are loaded with softer shot. Short yardage hits are fine. You will not get consistent hard hits at longer yardage. At 23 yds; I can tell quite a difference. Serious Handicap shooters
    shoot the premium loads. Clyde

13. vmthtr in green bay

vmthtr in green bay Member

At Scheels yesterday they have Win AA for 59.90 a flat on sale.

14. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

Lead went down Friday - with everything else. However, if the Fed doesn't fix the country's finances it will take a wheelbarrow of cash to buy a cup-full of lead - and everything else.

If you can't buy gold, buy lead.

15. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Reloading is a separate hobby for me. I shoot a lot of 1 1/4 ounce loads for the games. Price 1 1/4X 3 3/4 factory vs. reloads, big savings. Satisfaction of good scores with reloads,PRICELESS! Many compare the $5.00 cheapies with their reloads. I compare my reloads with the premium shells. Equal performance with quite a savings. Clyde

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.