1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Cost of sandbagging

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by yakimaman, Mar 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yakimaman

yakimaman Active Member

I've seen a number of posts here regarding perceived sandbagging, for sure sandbagging, and I even initiated one thread myself. As a relatively new trapshooter who hasn't shot very many registered targets I was amazed last year to see the high scores being posted for D class shooters at the Cardinal shoots and felt it had to be sandbagging. Most people disagreed and said it was a matter of decent shooters being able to really focus and shoot well on a particular day, others have decried the cheaters and sandbaggers who appear to come in classed far below where they should be. So, last weekend I shot my first ATA 100 and did my best yet; 22,25,25,21. It got me to thinking about what it would cost a person to deliberately shoot lower scores through a 1,000 target review so they could sandbag into D class. 100 targets @ $27 + $3 ATA fees +$2 OSTA fees for a total of $32 for just the singles event. Now you have to do that 10 times to get 1,000 targets in. Drive 40 miles each way - blow most of a day and for what purpose? To shoot an 88 or below on purpose so you can enter a major shoot and win a belt buckle, a shell bag or some other trinket? Who would do this? That's $320 just for the singles targets not counting transportation and ammo costs. For a piddly prize that no one pays any attention to anyway? Cheaters? yeah probably out there for sure, but deliberate sandbaggers? I have a hard time believing people would put that much money and time (let alone put away any pride in their shooting) into something for such a small reward.

Rich
    (focusing much better when the competition is stiff)
  2. ReconDoc

ReconDoc Member

A person's EGO is a powerful thing and will make many people do stupid things to show themselves in a better light. We have one in our club who is constantly calling attention to himself for really piddly things and he does'nt shoot anymore either. I guess he can't handle not winning the weekly shoots. Woody
  3. rocko

rocko Member

You are right, it does not make any sense but it happens. Just remember that there is no sand in AA.
  4. Claymuncher

Claymuncher Member

Its the same as a wealthy person getting caught for shoplifting. It is the game they play to see how much they can get away with, not the reward.

Just call them low life lazy loosers.

CM
  5. Rebe

Rebe TS Member

Over the last 25 years I have played a lot of competetive golf and was a single digit handicap. For you golfers, you know what that means, you will be playing a match with someone where you are giving a number of strokes. As a low handicap, a part of you hates giving strokes and as the other person makes some good shots you wonder if they cheated in turning in scores in the past for the high handicap. There are some out there that do sandbag just for the thrill of winning but my thought has always been they are mostly cheating themselves and their name and reputation are the big losers. The same is true in competive trap but we also must keep in mind that there are those "hot" days when we shoot and the heavens line up and a great score emerges. The problem is keeping that good focus and scores.
  6. 870

870 Active Member

Where your analysis is off: many of them wouldn't look at it as if they are wasting money like that. They are shooting every weekend anyway and having fun. Easy enough to keep the scores moderate while practicing in leagues etc.

In reality, they don't even have to be trying. The way many shoots simply use average for classifying, all they have to do is register a few scores in the winter or bad weather and their average will be well below their ability.
  7. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I don't personally know of anyone that does this sort of thing but evidently it does go on.

My own spin on the game is that you really haven't won until you have out shot the best shooters at the match - everything else is a consolation prize. To this end all the shooters I know work to get into a higher class and once there they work to own it.

If some whiner needs a D class trophy that bad - what do I care?
  8. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

Trinkets, that's funny. Try money.
  9. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

SANDBAGGER!!!!!
  10. Uncle Screech

Uncle Screech Member

I'm shooting registered mainly to get the definitive answer to the eternal question of 7.5's or 8's. Plus the babes, can't forget the babes...
  11. chastaj

chastaj TS Member

Look at it this way. Registerd targets are nothing more than practice. It takes 500 to be catagorized for our state shoot, so using your math, 1/2 of $320 is $160. Last year State "C &D" shooter if they played all the options made almost $500 so a pretty good return to sandbag.
  12. Justinosen

Justinosen TS Member

I hate sandbaggers. Its like heads up racing if you got a fast car or boat what ever your racing bring your A game and title or Cash or I dont waste my time. Giving people boat or car lengths to race is bull crap. Just like giving people birds to shoot. Or I like when they sand bag and shoot a 30 in sporting clays the first round then shoot a consistant 42-46 the rest.
  13. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

There's money in this game????

Not the last time I checked but I do have a couple of jazzy State Team shooting coats that 'only' cost me about $10K each to win.

Seriously even the good payouts don't cover your expenses - this is a game we play for recreation. The occaisional money prize is just more fuel for the party.
  14. The Stive

The Stive Member

The way that I see it, sandbagging is too much trouble. I just try to hit each
    target. The score is what it is. John
  15. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

It can depend on where you shoot most of your targets or your "home" club. Some of us shoot most of our targets at places with lousy backgrounds and less than perfect target settings. Travel to the big shoot and you usually have at least what seems like a much better shooting environment. Put on top of that you may be off work a few days and have left your worries behind for a bit so you concentrate on the targets better.

On the other hand if you go to the big shoot and choke...
  16. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Active Member

I would love to see those peoples score card. I want to see what their scores were at small BS shoots. I bet they are in the low 80's.

Then here they are at a big shoot and shoot a score of 98,99 100. BS BS BS BS. To me how come they at ONLY big shoots shoot a score of 98 99 and 100? You have to wonder.
  17. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

Well hell since we are all in this for the fun of it lets do away with all classes.Best shooter wins.no more sand baggers.ATA attendance may take a hit but it will come back after everyone learns to concentrate and practice and get better.yep that will work.
  18. Claymuncher

Claymuncher Member

Did you ever wonder what a sandbagger thinks when he is called a lazy looser cheating piece of crap? They must be reading this.

I am not sure but I bet it is denial, or better yet some might like it?

CM
  19. chastaj

chastaj TS Member

I was involved in motorcycle racing and they had classes just like trapshooing. However only "a" racers could earn prize money. This gave the other classes the desire to get better. C class was for 1st year racers, B class was for everyone trying to get better, and only a small % were placed in "A" each year. Why doesnt the ATA do something like this?
  20. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Cost of sandbags + Cost of Sand+ Labor Expense + Trucking of sand = Cost of sandbagging.

JUST had to do it!!!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.