1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cost of reloads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by capvan, Oct 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. capvan

capvan Active Member

I just ordered a bunch of components and figured out my price to reload. It came out to almost exactly $4.00 per box. Shot was $36 for 25 lbs. Can't remember the price of Promo, wads (DR Jammer) and Primers (Cheddite), but that is what it came out to. I ignored the hulls since I get all I want (AA's only) from picking up. The club where I shoot has very few people that shoot and I have convinced everyone that AA's will give you better scores. Some of them even put their empties in a pouch and give them to me at the end of the evening.

I truly enjoy the ritual of reloading. My Mec equipment was paid for many years ago and retirement gives me plenty of time.

I always tell people that IF all they want to do is save money, don't reload. But if you want to enjoy another aspect of the shooting hobby, then reloading is for you. I shoot a LOT of rifle, handgun and shotgun and haven't bought a factory shell in over 15 years.

cap

2. 687_SP_II

687_SP_II TS Member

I also just figured out what it cost to reload. 1 oz. = $4.00/ box and 1 1/8 oz. = $4.31 / box. The cost difference is in the shot.

3. schneep

schneep Member

I use reclaimed lead from the leadminer $1.05 per lb. brings the cost down

4. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

I too not only find it cheaper to reload but my loads are more consistant than some of the special sale ammo I get from various stores.

I have to say it really makes a difference when reloading rifle loads. I can have a PREMIUM load whether it be .223 or 300 mag for about half the cost of the ammo in the stores. My loads just shoot better and they make me feel better knowing that I put the package together that make that run on the birds or the group so close together. Oh and if I screw up I know who put the ammo together and I always have a talk with him after I get home from the range at night with a couple of cold drinks, or congratulate him on a job well done.

5. dgh

dgh Well-Known Member

well said kgp912kgp

6. capvan

capvan Active Member

Anyone know of a calculator for rifle/pistol rounds?

cap

7. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

Never seen one before but I do not think it would be too complicated to put one together.

8. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

here's one...

http://www.extremeguncare.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=30

Kind of tricky with the abbreviations but it works.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.