1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

cost of reloads-1 1/8, 1, and 7/8 ounce

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Dickgshot, May 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

One of our club members came up with these costs based on current component prices in our area ( hulls not considered): 1 1/8 ounce load $ 3.192/box; 1 ounce $ 2.974; 7/8 ounce $ 2.750. You can see the price drop from 1 1/8 to 1 ounce, and 1 ounce to 7/8 ounce is approximately 22 cents a box, or $ 2.20 a flat.

2. Jennifer

Jennifer Member

What part of the country was this cost calculation done in? I know the cost and type of components can vary from region to region. Thanks for the info. I'm thinking of going down to 7/8 oz since I'm not a long-yardage shooter, also because I'm a recoil wimp and due to the savings.

Regards,

Jennifer

3. Trucido

Trucido TS Member

So...you're getting shot for $28.75? Not bad...your components seem pretty cheap across the board. I am loading 1oz loads w/ green duster, Am-Select, win 209 primers and it is costing me right at $3.50 per box (not including hulls).

Certainly interesting none-the-less for how much money you save per box and per flat.

-Kyle

4. avidtrapshooter

avidtrapshooter TS Member

we were running about the same price as kyle for 1 oz loads, i think for 7/8 its like 3.28 or 3.18 one of those 2, just started reloading them and haven't quite calculated the price yet.

5. GordonWood421

GordonWood421 TS Member

Jennifer ,

Once you make the change , you WILL BE delighted . Absolutely guaranteed .

Charlie

6. famill00

famill00 TS Member

My prices to reload are exactly as stated by the original poster. I load 1 oz for singles and 1 1/8 for handicap. I have been toying with some 7/8 oz 9's for singles. There is NO recoil from an 1100.

Forrest

7. Jennifer

Jennifer Member

Thanks Charlie, I agree. I actually started shooting trap at 7/8 oz, then started shooting ATA and somebody along the way must have convinced me to go up to 1 oz. Not a bad decision of course, but I'm ready to go back down to 7/8. It's such a comfortable load to shoot and besides, I'm not going for my Grand Slam anytime soon! I've seen guys just playing around at pot shoots/Annie Oakleys with 26" barrelled skeet choked guns and 1 oz of #9 and break targets from 35+ yards. Now I know that wouldn't be smart to do on a regular basis, but it proves that if you're on, you're on.

That brings me to my next question. My current load is 1 oz #8, Fed GM hulls, W209 primer, 19 grains Clays, and 12SO wad. Is there a 7/8 oz Federal wad or equivalent that will work with those components?

Take care,

Jennifer

8. Jennifer

Jennifer Member

Forgot to ask regarding my load above, would you just load 7/8 of shot into the existing 1 oz 12SO wad or try and find a 7/8 wad for that load?

Jennifer

9. Jennifer

Jennifer Member

Nevermind, I just answered my own question - Hodgdon's website says:

7/8 oz. lead shot, 12 guage, 20.5 grains Clays, Win. 209, Fed. 12SO, 7,200 PSI, 1275 FPS

Incidentally, 1275 is the slowest speed listed on their website for those components.

Jennifer

10. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

Jennifer

I have been using the Downrange 7/8 PINK
    wads and having a ball.  They made ink balls out of targets from the 16
    yard line on Sunday.  I was shooting them out of a Beretta 3901 and having
    a blast.  I was using a similar recipe to yours.  I looked and found a
    recipe you might want to try.  Win 209 primer, Federal GM hull, 7/8
    Downrange or Winchester WAA12L wad, and Clays powder.  You need 19.0 grains
    for 1250 FPS (7000 PSI), or boost it to 20.3 grains for 1300 FPS (8000 PSI),
    22.0 for 1350, or 23.0 for 1400 FPS at 10,500 PSI.  Now this is not a home
    brew but copied from the 2007 Hodgdon's reloading manual on page 124.  Go
    up  a little further on the same page and you will find the recipe for the
    Fed12SO wad using a 7/8 lead shot.  If you want to try the Downrange wad
    Email

Kevin
    and tell him you want to try a sample. You can pick up a bag for about
    $8 plus shipping if you like them.  The
    Downrange web site has the dealer
    closest to you.   I use Rem hulls, the PINK
    7/8
    wads, and however much Clays I can sneak through a MEC #35
    bushing (19.4 gr).  If you need anymore info, post or email me or Kevin
    directly if you want.  IMHO Your PINK WADS
    may vary. 

11. Jennifer

Jennifer Member

Thanks for all the great info, OmahaSS, I shot an email out to Kevin. If they send a bag, I'll sure give them a try. I really appreciate the help. It looks like the closest dealer is over in Pendleton, OR. None here in Idaho yet. I wonder if Downrange sells them direct or just to wholesalers?

How does the plastic fouling compare to the OEM Federal 12SO and the more fouling Claybuster replacement wads?

Jennifer

12. omahasportingsupply

Jennifer, <br>
    Kevin called me tonight, asking why I was causing trouble again. LOL I think he got your request and several others. I put a link to the official PDF booklet of the 2007 Downrange wads which has some sample recipes also. I have seen little plastic residue at all with these wads. I have a parent we call the choke inspector who looks for it each week. If you look at most wads, the plastic is more like a flat or matte finish. Most of the Downrange wads, are like a shiny high gloss finish. The are slick. I build displays for my wads to take to local shooting clubs and in the process handle all of the different kinds of wads. I have shot a lot of different brand wads and have a few of most kinds here. Most are a flat finish and are not very slick. Economy shells are very famous for wad plastic buildup, but that is not important to some shooters. If you have removable choke, you know almost after any round or two. If you like the sample, find the closest dealer to you since freight charges are hurting most distance sales. Most major shoots have somebody retailing them. Your wads may fly farther, but are you having more FUN?

13. Jennifer

Jennifer Member

I hope Kevin sends them, I'm anxious to give them a try. I'm going to buy the correct bushings next time I'm at Sportsman's Warehouse.

Yeah I know about freight charges - they just went up again - we sell a lot of stuff on eBay. A case of 5000 wads is oversized at 90" length/width/girth (USPS regulations) which makes it a little more expensive, too, but buying them a bag at a time from Sportsman's Warehouse is also expensive so there's no way around it is there?

I really don't shoot enough these days to make plastic fouling an issue, but someday we hope to move closer to a trap club and shoot much more often. My husband says I "glow" at the trap range and that we should make a point to shoot more often. I do enjoy it.

Take care,

Jennifer

14. BP348

BP348 Active Member

I'm in the same ballpark price wise. I only shoot a 1oz load.

I'm even going to start making a 3/4oz load with #9's for skeet. I can't see shooting my 1oz load with 7 1/2's when the 3/4 oz load will do the same thing and recoil less.

15. GordonWood421

GordonWood421 TS Member

Jennifer ,

Check the Downrange prices on Graf's website --- their delivered prices don't specify delivery point and the last time I checked their price was competetive with Gamaliel's which is closer to me .

Charlie

16. Jennifer

Jennifer Member

Thanks Charlie, their prices seem reasonable:

DOWNRANGE WAD 12ga 7/8 to 1oz (PINK) 5000/CS
    Price: $88.99
    Availability: In stock
    Item Number: DRXXL78

I sent an email to them about freight. They say somewhere on the website that freight is free, but I don't know if this item would qualify.

Jennifer

17. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Jennifer, I too have been loading the downrange 7/8 oz wads into AA grey hulls with rio primers and Alliant Claydot powder. 18 gr and #8 1/2 shot. Great on 16's and first shot doubles. had to shoot some at a club handicap (21yd) event other nite. (they surprised me). 24/25, which did surprise me!

It takes a bit of confidence though to shoot tournament trap with them.

Jim

18. Jennifer

Jennifer Member

Thanks Jim, I have a lot of faith in 7/8 oz, since I started with it to begin with in '99. I watched a club regular shoot 7/8 oz loads all the time from the 27 at our practice range and he consistently did very well. My ATA yardage is only 21.5 (and will stay that way forever if I don't get back into the game) so I'm not worried about going down 1/8 of an oz. I'm not surprised at all you did well with them at 21 - heck if you had total faith in them, you might have ran 'em! If I could lose the flinch, I think my scores will improve. I hope the wads work well with Federal GMs, as I have several thousand once-fired GMs. I started off with AAs, but at that time in '99/2000, there were so many splits (brass to crimp) on the factory shells after being fired one time, I decided to change loads and the FGMs actually ran better through my old MEC 9000G anyway. Plus my FGM crimps never open up in the box after long storage like the AAs did.

Have a great weekend,

Jennifer

19. omahasportingsupply

Jennifer<br>
    Another fun night at the range with a Beretta 3901 and 7/8 oz loads. If you have short arms, remember me when you finally sell those trap guns. ROFL Really, some of the best fitting trap guns I have ever bought were from lady trap shooters. The good news is, most just upgraded their guns and sold me their old ones. We had a mom last year nursing at our Friday night shoots. She is a good long range shooter. The only way I can beat her in a PONDO is to take her down in front of the trap house. Then I have a chance to break more than she does. Hope you glow at the range more often. Tell your husband it is good for BOTH of you.

20. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

I found that the Pink XX downrange wads, in

Any of the Win AA, Rem STS or Nitro27 or Gunclub, hull,

Chedite 209 primer,

17 grains of Bullseye,

8 shot, My scale runs out at 3/4 oz, and I am just out range, by ten pellets or less,

the crimp is solid but a little dished in.

Started this load on trap, 16 yard ink balls.

Al

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.