1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cost of reloading

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by winselect, Dec 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. winselect

winselect TS Member

What is the average cost of reloading a box of 12GA

2. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

approx $4.00 per box not counting hull cost.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

It's an unanswerable question without more details. $4 is a stretch using premium components at today's prices. If you don't currently own a loader that must be factored in as well. I reload. If you are looking for big savings, forget it. If you are looking to load premium shells at budget shell prices, it's very possible. That's why I reload.

4. dblell

dblell Member

since i make my own shot and use promo, windjammer, and ficchio (sp) primers i load for $1.51 per box

5. 2500 HD

2500 HD Active Member

1 bag of shot reloads approx. 14 boxes of shells 1 1/8 oz load. $36.50 divided by 14 is $2.61 a box. 1 lb. of powder does approx. 14 boxes maybe more, keeping it simple 8 # @92.00 = $11.50 a lb. divided by 14 is $.82 a box. Primers at 3.6 cents a piece equals $.90 a box. Wads $8.50 for 500 equals $.42 a box.
    Shot $2.61
    Powder $.82
    Primer $.90
    Wad $.42
    Total $4.75 plus tax
    Maybe not exact but close enough for horseshoes, hand grenades and nucelar war!!!!!

6. guinner16

guinner16 TS Member

Premium components I am at $4.50 a box, including tax, for 1 ounce loads. My hulls are free.

7. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

All true. Which makes buying of cheap new shells a popular choice. When you can get them of course.

I got in on the Bass Pro gun clubs at $4.97 a box and bought 30 flats. And will buy some addl new cheep-o shells when our club buy happens this winter. Thinking Kemen because of the hard shot. 5% antimony (I believe). I"ll look that up. Website added.

Tjeh only concern I have is the potential for law enforcement to think that hav ing 50 flats might lead them to think I am a reason for concern.

8. davidjayuden

davidjayuden Well-Known Member

Reclaimed shot, Promo Powder, 1 oz. loads, DownRange wads, Winchester primers: $3.43/bx. Hulls, equipment and time are all extra.
    dju

9. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

Using prices of my standard trap components as posted on retailer's websites this morning...

using shot purchased at our local trap club...

re-using hulls...

$3.95 per box of 25 shells for 1-1/8 ounce loads.

On my Spolar can load a box in under two minutes.

10. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

The above link is one of a few calculators on this site. Enter your own prices and quantities. To get to the calculators......Click home page....click fun stuff.

Wayne

11. david1289

david1289 TS Member

If I buy everything at my local stores (primers, powder, wads, and shot), I was computing about $7 a box. Can anyone direct me to better deals in the Tulsa, OK area?

12. XP100

XP100 Well-Known Member

David, it sound like you need a new place to get components. I have a shop and just figured out the cost with CB 4118 wads. Fiocchi 209's, Eagle Mag. shot and Red Dot and it comes to 4.57/box of 1&1/8 loads + tax. Thats what I sell the components for. Using Promo would be a little less per box.

13. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

David, our gun club orders targets from a supplier about 300 miles away. When the targets are ordered we also order primers, power, wads and shot. The supplies are maintained at the club for the members.

The club adds 10% to the cost and adds sales tax. The overall cost to the members is about $5 per box for the supplies.

Shipping the supplies with the targets is very inexpensive and gets the cost out of everyone's way.

Check with a local gun club and see if you can get something like this going. The company we deal with is Park's and Son in North Carolina.

Another local club orders from another company and forces the member to pay for the product when the order is placed. All products are handed out when it arrives. No products are maintained at the club.

14. david1289

david1289 TS Member

OK, thanks. Yeah, my local store sells 209 primers for about $45 per 1000, Powder is approx #21 per lb, Wads are $12 per 500, and lead is about $48 for 25 lbs. Once you add tax (almost 9%) then it almost $7 a box. So yeah, if I was a club member somewhere then maybe I could get in a group deal. I searched all over the internet and the shipping fees just seem to even it out with the local prices. I know of one guy that's a member that lets me go as a guest, so I'll check with him.

15. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

support those clubs with group deals

16. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

I don't put a price on something I enjoy doing. In 1957 it cost me $1.00 a box to reload. We shot 50-75 shells a day then. Cheap entertainment. I have not calculated since then. When I started registered, it was no longer cheap.
    Clyde

17. drgondog

drgondog Member

david - contact gene sears shooting supplies, reno ok - run do not walk at the prices you are paying.

regards

bill

Ps - most of us at the DGC in Lewisville, TX buy from Gene

18. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

If my math is anywhere near correct at today's prices using premimum components reloading is costing about $4.51 per box. Now I'm working out of stockpile of shot, wads and primers I bought back in the 90's so I'm loading them a lot cheaper than that. The only thing I have to purchase is powder and I usually get in on a group buy from the local club.

19. C-Money

C-Money Member

I am at $3.61 per box loading Remington Fig 8 wads, Clay Dot powder 1 1/8oz reclaimed shot and Fiocchi primers. No cost on hulls.

20. Star4Ever

Star4Ever Member

I am at $5.15 per box of 25 12 gauge hulls.

Here are the per shell costs...

.024 for wad (WAA12 or CB1118)

.032 for primer WW209

.04 for powder (Clays)

.11 for shot (Lawrence Magnum)

so that is .206 per shell X 25 shells = $5.15

Those prices above include shipping, hazmat, taxes, etc.
    I buy in bulk, (full cases for example).
    Lead is the most expensive current component price...
    So if you are using current prices and premium components I think the $5.15 price per box
    is reasonably reflective of that.

Art

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.