1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

$$Cost of Reloading per Box$$

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by turbobike, Dec 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. turbobike

turbobike Member

What is your current cost for reloading a box of 25? With STS approaching $7 a box, I was thinking of getting back into reloading, I have a couple thousand once fired reloads and an old Mec...Just thinking...

2. lumper

lumper TS Member

Do you currently own some cheap shot?

3. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

The shot I have on hand costs me 36.95 a bag which makes my current costs at 4.32 for 1 1/8 oz and 4.02 at 1 oz loads.

4. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

Actually my reloads cost me 1.95 for 1 oz. loads, and $2.10 for 1 1/16 oz.

handicap loads. I bought 3 ton of shot when the price was 12 bucks a bag. I

subsequently sold about 100 bags for 25 bucks a bag which brought my cost down

significantly. My wads are WJ II which I bought in bulk, 50,000, at

approximately a penny apiece. Fiooche and RIO primers that I bought in

quantity for 16 bucks a thousand. Rex Powder in 25 lb kegs for $218 ea.. The

hulls I pick up off the ground or pay the trap boy a couple of bucks a box to

save them for me. Plus all the fun of reloading and shooting. It don't get

any better than that. Ben

5. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

5.33 for 1 1/4 loads

6. Alfermann 227

Alfermann 227 TS Member

I reload a premium reload using a STS hull, Hodgdon powder, remington wad, winchester primer and 1 1/8 ounce of $40.00 shot. It comes out to $4.90 per box. This is my registered handicap shell.

I reload a lesser quality shell using promo powder, cheddite primer, claybuster wad and reclaimed or homemade shot-1 ounce- for $3.15 a box. This is my winter league shell and I also shoot register 16 yard targets with it. It is as good of quality as any of the tier II "cheap" shells.

When I heard of all the shooter boasting they have "sold" their reloaders because shells were cheaper, I just laughed. The shell market always lags behind the lead market by 3 - 6 months. By February all of the new priced inventory will be at the store level. In addition, shells are not coming down but lead may and probably will. Reloads will be the shell of choice in 2008 for many shooters who did not stock up on shells in 2007.

7. Questor

Questor TS Member

I used this calculator to figure out my costs. In summary, if I were buying new shot at $50 per bag, it would be about $5.30 a box for loads comparable to 1 ounce AA. I can buy that ammo at Walmart for about a dollar more per box. That includes all taxes. It does not include volume purchase like the genius who had the foresight and dedication to buy tons of shot and thousands of wads in bulk (nice going!):

http://10xshooters.com/calculators/ShotshellReloadingCost/

8. XT Bill

XT Bill TS Member

$3.60 for 7/8. W209 primers...Claybuster wads...Shot was 35.00/bag...Clays was 88.00/ 8lbs

9. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

My numbers are close to XT Bill's. $3.70 for 7/8's load (clays). $4.30 for 1 oz. Handycap (greendot).

10. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

$3.08 for my 1oz. reclaimed lead shot, 17gr. Claydot, Downrange wad, Fiocchi primers and free STS, AA, Gun Club hulls.
    Lucky I had the money and sense to stock up on lead and primers. It also helps to be able to buy real good reclaimed lead for a $1 / lb.
    This load sure beats the new $6.99 they're getting for Top Guns.

11. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

If you went out to buy components now, and bought enough for 1000 shells,This would be a thousand primers, wads, and 3 bags of shot for 1 & 1/8 oz shells. 4 lbs of powder, and free hulls. If shot is 50 dollars it makes the reloads cost 6.50 a box. NOt a good deal right now, but lead is falling and factory shells going up.

Sort of like the crude oil/gasoline spiral.

HM

HM

12. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

My cost is still $3.36 per box of 11/8oz. using the calculator on this site. Promo powder at 75.00/8lbs using 18.5gr., Windjammer wads at 65.00/5M, Fiocchi primers at $90.00/5M, and Northwest shot at $28.00/25lbs. Hulls are free, and my 9000H has paid for itself many times over during the past 18 years. I have enough components at this price to last me for at least a year, possibly 2 years.....Dan Thome (Trap2)

13. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Well, sure, halfmile...your numbers are high for the same reason that if you want to drink one beer, a single can at the convenience store is $1.50. But if you want to drink a LOT of beer, a keg is only $50.

Who loads just 1,000 shells?? What would I shoot NEXT weekend?

Can't see running down to the warehouse every week for 3 bags of shot and 4lbs of powder and two bags of wads.

I'm still loading for $3.50 a box, give or take. Couple buddies and I bought 2 tons of shot from Connies a few weeks back for $28/bag. My share should last me about 2 years. And the price is coming down.

And, for all of you who don't think reloading "pays"...I'm making (again) my standard offer everytime this topic comes around:

I'll gladly pay $120 (cash!) for Spolar and top of the line PWs in near new condition. No worries if your reloader is a bit older...I'm sure we can work out a lower price. Bring them on. I mean it. There's no limit to how many PW 800s and 2000s I'll buy at that price...just to help out fellow trapshooters and give you some shell money so you can buy some estates. If you have the automatic shell feed and hopper, well, I'll add $25.

14. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

$1.25 per box, the hulls and shot are free. HMB

15. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Jeff, in our area there are lots of guys who shoot one or 2 boxes a week in evening leagues and that's all. Lots of them buy in the squantities I mentioned.

Registered shooters in our club amount to around 5 percent of the total membership. That's a guess but I think it's close.

Few of the casual shooters mentioned are going to be buying tons of shot. 10 bag lots, yes, but it has to be a good deal.

You should talk to people at places like sportsmen's warehouse and see just what kind of reloading purchases are common.

I'm not pissing on your leg, just think there's more to the picture.

HM

16. FN in MT

FN in MT TS Member

WHO has Estates at under $50 a flat ???? Our club just passed on them as they were $50.50 per flat in quantity. With the possibility of a slight additional fee for "fuel increase surcharge".

Even the traditionally cheap shells are ALL going UP. Between lead prices, fuel increases and GREED, the days of cheap 12's and 20's are OVER.

FN in MT

17. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

my 7/8 oz international bunker loads are $3.80 per box if I use new shot and $2.80 per box if I use reclaimed.

18. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Load for FUN and specific load you Want to shoot. I really like light loads from the 16. 7.5 1 oz. Rem. 209P Rem. TGT 12 clays 16.8grains 6,600 LUP 1125 STS hulls. Right now I have taken a break from loading. Working on a bulk order. These loads work well for me. I plan on messing around with reclaimed and home made shot. Also will be trying some less exspensive primers.

19. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Halfmile....

Right back at you - I'm not trying to get at you, either. You're right...there is more to the picture. The league guys I know that only shoot league are shooting estates, gun clubs, and god bless the few of them that shoot nitros, STS and AA - I'm behind them like a vacuum when they walk off a field.

Reloading for them is never gonna be "cost effective" since they won't tie up the money to buy components in the bulk you need to in order to save money.

But for those of us that shoot more than the 'casual' shooter...reloading will be cost effective.

Oddly, no one's taking me up on the reloader purchase offer...

jeff

20. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

$4.25 a box from dick's 1 1/8 oz. $2.50 a box for 1 oz but 20 shells per box.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.