1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cost of Reloading - new data

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Beau69, Jul 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beau69

Beau69 Active Member

Just felt like posting this to compare prices...thinking about loading up on some stuff but hoping to find it cheaper at Grand and/or Cardinal Classic.

Port Huron, MI prices
    plus taxes
    powder Red Dot - $110/8lbs
    Shot - Lawrence Magnum - $29/bag
    Primers - Fed/Win 209 - $37.00/1000
    Wads - Claybuster anything - $9.99/500
    hulls - free
    Looks like $4.75US per box with tax.
    $5.50CAD or so with exchange...plus duty of 13% once I declare it.
    Looking at 6.20 per box.
    Factories are around $65 with tax up here in the North.
    Hardly seems worth it...but I do it because I actually enjoy reloading so...

Just thinking out loud.
    Beau

2. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Good facts...difficult to argue with the hard numbers. Thanks, Ed

3. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Ok I just got back from our state shoot. Bought fiocci primers for 118.00 for 5000,bought down range wads for 72.00 for 5000, bought red dot for 86.00 for 8 lbs. Just bought reclaimed for 16.00 per lb. for 25 lbs. So by my math that is .0253 per shell for powder, .0144 for wad, .0236 for primer, .04 for lead 1 oz. that computes to 2.58 per box with free hulls. Want to reload for less shop smarter. Just thinking out loud. Bill

4. Browning Man

Browning Man TS Member

I bought my supplies for around if not the same prices as BILL GRILL at the ohio state. My .02

5. Beau69

Beau69 Active Member

thanks for the shop smarter tip Bill.
    I'm interested to see what people are paying seeing as there is really only one place within 100 miles of me that 'has everything'...and I know their prices are pretty high.

Looking forward to finding some deals at some of the bigger shoots this summer.

Just thinking out loud. (I picked up on your sarcasm!)

Beau

6. dverna

dverna Active Member

Beau,

Reloaded shells with good components are better than promo shells.

For 16's and doubles it may not matter much but for these events I use a light load anyway; so the 3 dram promo loads are of little interest to me.

Run your numbers with 1 oz loads (all you need for 16's) and you will see added savings. Also, Promo is under $80 and uses the same recipes as Red Dot - more savings.

It will matter with HC. Even at the 24 yd line I do not use promo shells in competition. AA's and STS's are running about $70 a flat. Even with your component costs (which are high) you save over $2 a box.

My costs for 1 1/8 oz HC loads are $3.75 (vs $7+ for AA's/STS's). Singles 1 oz are $3.15 (vs $5 promo shells). (Shot at $23/bag). Savings are significant plus I get the shell I want.

Don Verna

7. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

Listen to DonV. Mt costs pretty much mimic his.

AndyH ;-)

8. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

Buying components around town my cost before taxes is 4.17 with 1 1/8 ounces of shot and 3.73 with the loads I practice with of 7/8 ounce. The cheapest shells I can buy are the hunting loads at Walmart for 4.80 1 ounce loads and 5.25 for the Federal 1 1/8 ounce target load before taxes. Unless you shoot a lot of shells you don't save much. You should only reload if you like loading your own. You can save a lot more money per box on premium loads or heavy hunting loads. They really stick it to you at Walmart for those loads.

9. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

My costs are very similar to what you are paying Beau but I am making very good quality ammo and I do enjoy my 'shop time'.

If I was really motivated to save money on this I could reclaim my own shot and buy only the cheapest of everything else but then I wouldn't have the confidence in my ammo or the satifaction of making a quality shell.

Just thinking out loud .... is a great thing to do until the thought police come along to rein you in. Seriously, enjoy this wonderful hobby of shooting and reloading.

10. ESMDHokie

ESMDHokie TS Member

my local club has a flat of fiocchi shooting dynamics for $55.
    I bought a flat of STS Nitros for $75.
    I can reload those nitros for about ~$45 a flat.
    I use 1oz 8's, 19.5 gr Red Dot, WAA12SL wad, W209 Primer. Am about to break open some Rem209s that I found for THE SAME PRICE as W209s.

11. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

I can't reload any cheaper than Beau if I shop local. Have to buy supplies at the big shoots or bigger supply house on the way to a big shoot. Also I only shoot one ounce loads for singles and doubles. I shoot one ounce for practice handicap and only shoot new shells for ata handicap. I do not reload for ata handicap. I was not trying to be sarcastic, just trying to give a few pointers to save some dough. Save dough=more shooting. Bill

12. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

I shoot a lot of 410 and 28 ga on our Sporting course and that's where the big savings are realized by reloading. Factory 410 and 28s are ten bucks or more a box and I load them for less than $3....

13. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I purchased new componets last week. Price includes tax and in some cases haz mat charge, shipping, and tax. 5000 WAA 12SL wads @ $119.12 (Gamaliel), Fiocchi 616 (Graft & Sons) 10,000 @ $276.98, 16 lbs (19.5 grains per shot) Green Dot (Powder Valley) @ $226.95, Shot (local) $32.20 @ 25 lb bag (1 oz loads). Hull cost nothing. Cost per 25 round box $4.24.

Why three different companies? None had all 3 items or even 2 of the items. Not including shot. These are real world today's prices if you don't have a local vendor.

14. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Yesterday seen Remington primers at a club $207.50 . With Gun Club shells at around 50 bucks I can,t reload .

15. dverna

dverna Active Member

Alf-99

Don't you miss getting away to your reloading shop and making great shells? I bet you are not using Gun Clubs to shoot HC!!!

You will regret selling me your Spolar someday.

I do not regret buying it. It still looks like new and now shares a bench with the PW 800+ I had when I started this insanity.

Don Verna

16. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Don I did buy a PW loader to set on the bench . I,v never used it and have zero stuff for it and it don,t look like I will be buying any soon .

Yes the Spolar loaders are nice and yes I miss the hours spent loading . Now I can only go shooting ?? Maybe I will see you at the Grand this year .

The way I,v been shooting handicap Gun Clubs are good enough for me . Yesterday I broke 99 in singles and just about walk,t by a trap in handicap how in the hell do I do that . Would you have some Golf clubs you would trade for a Seitz even up .

17. phirel

phirel TS Member

There is a hidden cost of reloading that is at the same time an advantage and disadvantage. When you reload, you typically end up with a lot of shells. This will cause you to shoot more. That will cost you money but will also increase your fun.

Pat Ireland

18. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

There is something about reloading that I like. I go through periods where I only shoot factory shells. Even during those periods at those shoots on the sporting clays grounds I find myself looking longingly at the once fired AA hulls on the ground and have to fight the urge to pick them up. Like an alcoholic looking at someone taking a drink. I can't help strolling over to the reloading section when I am in the sporting goods store and checking out the prices of various components. I think that every third box of shells would be free if I reloaded. Then you know what happens. I start reloading again. Sometimes I really enjoy reloading.

19. dverna

dverna Active Member

Alf,
    Pick any clubs you want for that Seitz. You are trading the whole gun right? Not just that fence post you think is a custom stock.

I will be at the Grand and look forward to seeing you again. I hope your knee allows you to shoot. Or are you just suckering me in so I feel sorry for you and spot you a couple of birds?

I am as excited as a kid waiting for Santa. My first grand - YE-HAW.

I understand there is a Beer Tent. Let's plan on meeting there. My buddy tells me they have the best and coldest beer he has ever had at the Grand.

Don

20. Luigi

Luigi TS Member

Bill Grill I see you bought some reclamed shot for $16.00 per lb for
    25lb bag. Can you tell me where you get it that cheep as thats only
    $400.00 a bag.

Luigi

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.