1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

cost of reloading box trap loads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by riggs, Feb 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. riggs

riggs Member

what would it cost be to load 2 3/4 1 1/8 oz trap loads per box

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

There is a calculator to figure that on this site. Just go to the home page.

ss

3. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Click the link. And enter the info. Your asking a question that only you can answer.

Wayne

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

To answer your question, use the cost calculator they provided you above. Basically, you are answering these questions.

1)How much did you pay for your primers<br>
    2)How much did you pay for your powder<br>
    3)How much did you pay for your wads<br>
    4)How much did you pay for your hulls<br>
    5)How much did you pay for your shot<br>
    6)How much powder are you using for each load<br>
    7)How much shot are using for each load<br>

There is no set answer for what a box of reloads cost, everybody's are slightly different in price.

The better deal you get on the components, the cheaper the shells. Usually buying in large quanities(bulk) will get you the best/cheapest prices. In other words, buy powder in 4 or 8lb jugs instead of 1lb bottles. Buy primers by the 5000 lot instead of buying a few hundred. Buy wads by the case instead of one bag etc. etc.

5. bjk1972

bjk1972 Member

Second grntitan's post. My 1 oz loads $4.45, 1 1/8 about $5.00 a box.I try buy in 5000 round lots. 5k primers, 5k wads, 15 bags of lead, ecte.

6. SPACE GUN

SPACE GUN Member

With my last shot I paid $40.00, promo powder. clatbuster wads and cheap primers $4.29 a box plus tax. cheap new shells are $5.00 plus tax. I normally buy shot for $29.00 to $35.00 a bag. It is still cheaper to reload but unless you really watch and buy cheap it is getting close.

7. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

In my mind, my reloads are better than factory shells and when considering premium shells vs premium shells, mine are cheaper by a decent amount . The reason I say this, is that many times when someone compares factory shell prices against reload prices, they compare the budget factory shell prices such Federal Top Guns against the cost of reloads. While those prices may be close, I consider my reloads to be better compared quality wise to STS, Nitro or AA's. I usually always use top shelf components and quality hulls. So when you view it that way, the cost savings is much better. Now lately with the big 3 giving rebates, I will admit I have went the factory route more than I normally would. I still enjoy reloading and would probably still load if the cost were even. Just something about shooting a good score or smoking a target with the shells I assembled myself. Just Say'n...............

8. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

As stated above "Buy in Bulk" Search the websites for reloading componants to get the best price online.As a general rule the closer the distributer is the cheaper the S&H will be.
    Shot on the other hand is heavy so you are better off purchasing it locally.If you wait around the prices may or may not go down or worse case they will continue to rise.Roll the dice!
    If you shoot alot them purchase a ton of shot and figure how many loads you can get out of it using the reload calculator.Then purchase the powder,primers and wads to go with it and you are in business.
    Powder valley has had the best price for me in the past.I did the smart thing and stocked up before everything went sky high.Shot was $14.50 a bag then.We got 1/2 ton at an estate sale recently for $20.00 a bag.If money is an issue then try and get a friend to go in halves with you.Good luck

9. Nutso

Nutso Member

Unless you are buying local, don't forget to figure shipping and tax into your calcualtion, or gas and milage to travel and buy.

10. ljutic231

ljutic231 TS Member

grntitan , I don't think there is a big three giving rebates anymore as Remington still has not given my rebate from the iowa State shoot last july. Sent letters but received no answers. Good luck

11. plinker611

plinker611 Member

sts hull,chedite 209,remington fig 8 wad,18.5 gr green dot,my home made shot,im at $2/box,thanks to jim stewart's black max shotmaker,and then when i sell shot to my friends i pay for the componets,and alot of targets,shure it takes time to make shot,but i look at it as a hobby,and love to shoot for free.mark

12. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

Add to the above list, How much you spill.

Ed Yanchok

13. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Agree with grntitan. In my opinion the reloads I produce compare much closer to factory premium shells than the cheaper shells. Although my shot costs are not as high because I bought a lot of shot in the past. I would say my shot cost right now is approximately $32 a bag. I use quality components. STS hulls @ $.04 apiece, (figured to be loaded 6x) 18 grains Red Dot Powder, 1 1/8 oz STS hard shot, Remington primers and DR XL-1 1/8 wads. This load figures out to about $4.35 a box. Even the cheap shells are $5 a box. So when one compares reloads you have to make a fair comparison. JMHO. Ed

14. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Cost is usually the first thing when talking about reloading... but the other night I was shooting some new factory steel from Federal... 1-1/8oz, 1145fps... nice factory shells 6/bx + tax... good retail price... wasn't complaining about that...

After a 100 I forgot what it was like to shoot a full 1-1/8oz load, even a light Steel load... so for me whatever the cost savings, lightening the load to lessen recoil is much more important a factor in my reloading...

I buy one type of wad, one type of powder and one primer... I buy when I find deals, so I'm never desperate to pay retail... watch for estate sales and garage sales... AND BUY - I've found $10/bag shot, $5-8/1000 wads, last W209 primer were $120/5K... I don't buy my powder that way unless I knew the family...

My steel and lead loads are still under $4/bx...

My $0.02,

Jay

15. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

Like some others on here, I stocked up a few years back. I'm loading out of a pallet of shot I bought some time ago and should hold me over for some time. Shot, as I'm sure you know, is the pricey part of the equation. Right now, my total per box is running at about $3-3.25 per box. I, too, compare my loads to factory premimum shells that are 7-8 dollars per box before rebates in these parts. If I ever run out of components, I don't know which route I would go. Probably snoop around until I found a deal like an estate sale or a going out of business sale.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.