1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cost of Owning A K-80??????????????

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Auctioneer, Nov 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I have heard somethings about a K-gun that I'm not sure if its true or not.

Besides the cost of buying a K-Gun what is the service cost for the gun say per year?

2. Huntin'Fool

Huntin'Fool Well-Known Member

its based on 15000 rounds is the reccomended service, i think its 225 for the service, but it should be done anyway.

3. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

the "annual" service is a $225 charge or somewhere in that neighborhood.

My advice: buy a K gun from Clay Target Sports, shoot the snot out of it the first year, and send it back to them for your first free annual service. Then after that, just maintain your gun as you would with any other gun that you would want to last a lifetime. Ask around on any shotgun forum, you will find guys who only do an "annual" every few years, if that. Others do it religously. There is no special cost to owning a K gun.

4. chipking

chipking TS Member

When you start having trouble with the triggers send the gun to Ernest Marlette in NC rather than Ottsville. You will come out time and money ahead.

--- Chip King ---

5. quartering

quartering Active Member

would this k80 service be the same type of service that blaser provides annually for free for life?

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The K-80 is a wonderful shotgun, keep it clean and it will need to be serviced about every 20 years. The Germans make the best springs and there is no need to replace them each year. HMB

7. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Blaser is a better gun than Krieghoff. All Blaser parts are interchangeable. You talk about gun fit. Blaser has a weight system. Krieghoff don't. Blaser has a great warranty. Krieghoff don't. Both guns made in Germany. Blaser combo is half the price of a krieghoff.

8. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Last year at the GRAND.. Giacomo Sporting charged $47.50... the TS.Com Special price for an annual..plus needed parts.. Many shooters got away for under $70.00

9. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

Giacomo offers that service on K-Guns?? I did not know that>
    Don

10. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

I'm not sure why the "cost of ownership" would make any difference. If you pay $13K (or $15K or $17K, whatever they cost), and then figure the amount of money you will spent shooting targets with it over the course of the year, the amount of money spent on maintenance seems insignificant.

I wish the cost of an annual was the only thing I had to worry about when it came time to tally up what I spend on shooting every year.

Scott

11. dverna

dverna Active Member

Scott nailed it again. Cost of ownership is a foolish thing to get your undies in a knot over.

It is like asking what the gas mileage is on a Mercedes SL. If you have to ask, you are not serious buyer.

How the gun fits and moves[ and long term reliability are so much more important than "worrying" about $200 per year for service.

Don Verna

12. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

The word "Cost" has many meanings. 1. Cost of Ownership: Take your K-80 price and divide it by the number of years your going to live is your annual cost of owning your K-80. But your widow or kids will sell it and get most of that back anyway. 2. Cost of maintenance: Shouldn't be counted. Everything needs maintenance. 3. Cost of 25,50 & 100 straights, priceless. Sorry. No one should compare a K-gun to a Browning. Owned three Brownings. Their the most off balanced, ill fitted, crummy triggered Jap gun I ever shot. Nuf said. Dave T.

13. Play Dead

Play Dead Member

I often see "shots" taken on this forum at Perazzi owners because their shotgun happens to come with "spare parts". To me this is interesting as I am sure some of these jabs were taken by Krieghoff owners.

Spare trigger springs, that by the way can be changed in five minutes without the necessity of a gunsmith with a german accent, are an excellent accessory to a fine gun that was built with reduced mean time to repair in mind. The price of these parts is also much less than a $225/year tune up. Added up over the years, significantly less than an aggregate of K-80 tune ups.

Cost of ownership means different things to different individuals. You don't buy the Mercedes without being able to afford the oil changes.

Play Dead

14. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I sold a new K-80 to a shooter in 1985. He finally brought it in for it's first "annual service" around 5 years ago-only because the forend split (he never tightened the screws). Quite a few rounds went through that one and it looked the part.

I'm sure Krieghoff International sees many more guns like that one!!

15. phirel

phirel TS Member

I have shot a lot of targets with my K-80 over many years. I purchased mine before Krieghoff could even put their name on the gun. I have broken several parts and spent a little money maintaining the gun.

There are a few major problems with my K-80. First, a part will only fail when I am shooting on the line and this is the most inconvenient time for a gun to break down. Most of the time, my K-80 will shoot where the target is, but now and then, it decides to fire where the target is not. I am not able to locate the part to correct this problem.

Pat Ireland

16. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

It's your brain Pat, your brain, do you understand? It's your brain. HMB

17. fly

fly Active Member

my brother purchased a Model 32 krieghoff in the mid 70's, shot registered trap and leagues until the mid nineties before something internal broke on it.(spring) sent it to Ottsville, had it refinished in Factory Krieghoff Nickel, re-blued it, K80 sear spring & Trigger, and still shoots it today.

Buy an old 32 cheap, send it to Ottsville or whoever your favorite k-gun gunsmith is, and shoot the hell out of it for less money than the K80. I have both, and would go the K32 way if money is a concern. if not, i suggest the Mystic Suhl.

18. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

"Pat, if the Krieghoff name is not on your K-80, whose is?"

Shotguns of Ulm

19. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

My favorite phrase from the German trap team.. "shoot a perazzi or get beat by one"..lol..

20. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

My 1967 K-32 has been to Ottsville twice, both times for refinishing. I have not asked for an "annual" nor has it been forced on me, either time. I assume they look for worn parts when they have it apart for refinishing. If they find and replace worn parts, I expect I will see that charge on the invoice. The world will not come to an end if you don't go for the annual.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.