1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

cost of mounting a fox

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by need to shoot more, Dec 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

Hi Everybody,

My Wife just came in and saw a beautiful dead fox near the airport. What would be the cost of a mount or skin? Also would it need to be taggerd I am in Pa.

Thank You,

Jim

2. 4EVRYOUNG

4EVRYOUNG Member

Depends on the person doing it, many awards and attention to detail cost extra,Someone working out of the Garage can still do good work and cost a bit less, Look around the web for molds of Foxes you like and double that you will be close.

3. Fishstyx

Fishstyx TS Member

Insert inappropiate comment here. : )

4. high 2

high 2 Member

I had one tanned a couple of years ago that i found on the side of the road that had been hit.I'm in Oklahoma and called the county game warden about the legality of possession. There were 2 days left in the furbearer season and it could be legally picked up. It was a beautiful pelt and had done for $90. Larry

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I had a 29lb Bobcat full body mount done about 6 years ago. It cost me $425 back then.

6. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

>> Insert inappropiate comment here. : )

In college it was a pizza and a couple of Tequila Sunrises

7. ovaljack

ovaljack Member

first thing that came to mind was, 3 to 5 years for first time offender. man I need to get some sleep! Jack

8. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

First thing I thought about seeing this thread came from a Bob and Tom Show segment that involved a caller wanting to mount a Trout he had caught. LOL

9. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

I had a head done in the UK (about $325) - same guy did a full mount for a friend for around $650 ~ 700.

Best work I have ever seen. Pricey yes, but so over the top it was worth it.
    hslds_2008_030346.jpg

hslds_2008_030347.jpg

10. captin_hook

captin_hook TS Member

In PA it is illegal to pick up a road kill and keep it without calling the game commission. If you find a road kill buck they charge you 10$ a point it you wish to keep the rack. Total bs if you ask me. As far as getting the fox tanned or mounted, you'll need a furtakers license. At the fur post they'll write your number from your license down and keep it on record with your furs. This is just in case a game warden stops in to check. You should be able to get a nice mount for 450$.

11. Taxidermy

Taxidermy Active Member

I charge $500 - $700 depending on base work habitat, as far a soft garmet tan skinning and tan $125. I am in KY. thanks Ronnie

12. BigBadBob

BigBadBob TS Member

Pack of Marlboros and a ride home.

13. magnumshot

magnumshot Active Member

My local taxidermist in eastern Pa. wanted $900 for a full coyote mount, but I opted for skin and tan for $125. You will need to report it to the game commission if you want to harvest it legally, and probably pay a fee.

14. Taxidermy

Taxidermy Active Member

Magnumshot, if you have skined a coyote you know why he wanted $900. I dont even like them in my shop, thanks Ronnie

15. YOTESLAYER

YOTESLAYER Member

I had a Coyote tanned that I shot last year, cost me $40. A rug at the taxidermist was going to be around $285 and a full mount was around $800. Thats why I opted for getting it tanned. Im not trying to say its wrong, but why spend the money on something like a road kill fox? Wouldnt it mean more to you if you harvested the animal yourself? To each his own just seems a little strange to me.

16. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

My 29lb. Bobcat. Not the best mount in the World but still makes a nice conversation piece.

grntitan_2009_2503107.jpg

grntitan_2009_2503269.jpg

grntitan_2009_2503436.jpg

17. blacklab

blacklab Member

Sometimes, it is just a good line and a few drinks.

18. 3357

3357 Member

Stick to women, a fox will scratch the hell out of you.

19. BustClays

BustClays Member

This is too easy. A guy in Marion County, FL got probation for mounting a donkey and they put the donkey into protective custody even though he wanted it back. No Joke!

20. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

Aren't there laws against necrophilia? I could see mounting a fox, or even a cougar, but having your wife involved in your mounting a dead one is just TOO kinky!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

cost to mount a fox