1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cost of machined stock/cheek piece posts

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Too Tall, Dec 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Too Tall

Too Tall TS Member

How much would you pay? I need longer posts, don't know whose hardware I have and need to have some machined. Thanks

Robert Houston

2. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I got some from the Country Gentleman for $10.00 at a shoot, it was for a Rod's Custom adjustable comb that were too short for my way of shooting ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

3. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

If the post have machine threads on the bottoms and an Allen head on the top. You can find them at most hardware stores and take the top down with a drill press and a file.

Ajax

4. WillBill

WillBill Member

I just saw some at AddARib.com

5. Too Tall

Too Tall TS Member

Thanks all for the replies. I asked a smith who has a lathe how much and he said $50! I'm like damn, $50 he must think I'm stupid and I can't do that. But I've never seen posts like these before and I have some from Jack West, Graco and Dennis DeVault. These are narrow with a machined steel allen key insert milled into the top with no head. I'm going to check the hardware route and if I can get something with my thread size that will be a start at least I won't have to have anything threaded.

6. high 2

high 2 Member

It doesn't sound too high to me. He has utility bills, insurance, the price of the lathe, the time spent learning how to do it. You might think it through about everything involved to produce 2 posts. Now if you happen to need what someone else has done a production run of, that's a different thing. Larry

7. Redcobra

Redcobra Active Member

Post a pic and maybe someone can identify them.

8. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

The old Soft Touch posts are of that kind.

Go to Ace/hardware and look for the short threaded,shanked,Allen head bolts. The threads and shanks come in different lengths. Find one with the same threads and the overall length you want and put it in a drill press and file off the large part of the bolt head. That should give you the round post with threads on the bottom and the Allen head on the inside of the top.

Ajax

9. Perazzi_MX8

Perazzi_MX8 Well-Known Member

I've known many a Gunsmith and have never met a rich one. Money is made selling guns, accessories and gadgets not repairing them. If he has to listen to you, then turn down something in a lathe, and install it, 50.00 is reasonable. I swear everyone is a gunsmith and it's humorous to see how many butchered up guns finally make it to a gunsmith only to hear some guy complain about the price. Have you had a vehicle worked on lately? Maybe you could try drilling your own teeth with a Dremel tool, a shot of Jack, and a truck mirror to save even more! For a moment there I thought I spent 2 years in Gunsmithing School for nothing. Thanks, I feel better now.

10. thunder

thunder Active Member

Get hold of Gracoil in Texas. They were getting $8.00 pair of 1" or less and $10.00 pair for 1" to 1 1/2 and $12.00 pair for 1 1/2 on up. This was this summer prices, they are stainless included the screws,available notched or not and very easy to deal with.

11. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

I could do them for $2.50 each...if you order 100 sets.....

tony

12. high 2

high 2 Member

My point exactly Tony. Larry

13. drgondog

drgondog Member

Perazzi MX8 - I feel your pain. Good gunsmiths are hard to find and I like to pay them what their services and equipment are worth.

14. open choke

open choke TS Member

The shim kit from add a rib is nice.

2 sets of posts and a bunch of aluminum spacers. I use only 1 spacer per post instead of 2 nylons per post.

He can make posts in any length for you and you wont need to order 100. Give them a call.

15. Too Tall

Too Tall TS Member

So, $50 isn't too much? OK, I'd use him if I can't find any other source. I don't know how to post a picture and will see if one of my sons knows how. Good suggestion. The reason I though that $50 was too much is because Dennis has made me an one inch pair and a 1-1/4" pair and charged me $20 each and his standard set is a 5/8", that's why I thought $50 was too much instead of $35/$40. But I'll take my lumps! And I know the smith I referred to personally and have used his services many times and know what his expenses are who his father was, knows his wife and how many dogs he has, etc. Plus he'll kick my ass or shoot me if I get out of line. So my position on his cost wasn't thoughtless.

Robert Houston

16. Too Tall

Too Tall TS Member

Thanks Ajak, Thunder, Open Choke, Redcobra & WPT.

Houston

17. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

I make them for people all of the time for $15.00 per set.
    Don

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.