1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cost of Lead Shot Curtain Barriers

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Go Fish, Apr 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Go Fish

Go Fish Member

The gun club I was shooting at lost our traprange while Wis. Electric Power Co. is building 1.3 billion dollar power plant. We are getting some costs and plans together to present to Wis Elec. so we can get their approval for a new range. I was wondering if any knows what the costs are for the Lead Shot Curtains? We are limited to space so this might be something we could use.

2. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

There was a company in Conn that made them, not cheap. They are also a problem in wind at a local club. Strong, not very, and they cancel shooting. Good luck, Bob

3. slick50

slick50 Member

Fish....You may be able to save a lot of money on your shot screen. They are made from the same stuff they make paper making fabric from. If you are near a paper mill in Wisconsin you may be able to get several of them for little or nothing after they are done with them. I have heard of some clubs aquiring these fabrics and staining them green to use for their shot screens.

Good Luck
    Bill

4. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

If I was planning on building a shot containment curtain this is how I would approach the task.

I'd use used drill casings for the upright structures and intermediate curtain back supports, used conveyor belting for the curtain. Most of these materials might be had for a little of nothing! Concrete in the posts and bracing and it will withstand a very fierce wind storm.

I'd contact power plants and quarry's for used conveyor belting and drilling company's for used casings.

Hap

5. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Here you go...

http://www.hopeglobal.com/LeadShotCurtain.htm

6. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

That's the one I was thinking of Joe. Not that simple, Hap and Holbrook have the right idea. Do it once and be done.

7. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

I love how the website says they are designed to blend into the natural environment. What an eye sore.

8. alant

alant TS Supporters TS Supporters

How far in front of the traps are these curtains placed? Alan

9. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

It might be the answer with lead prices and enviro issues.

10. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

billerica rod & gun club has them cost was $20 k back in 2006, 100 yards out has less impact

Olympic facilities usually have curtains. Google them too

We have several ranges that shoot into hillsides. Looks strange at first but its fine

11. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

If you pour a concrete trough at the base of them for the shot to fall into after it hits the curtain you could recycle the lead and not have to mine for it ... Just go down there and sweep it up and be done with it ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

12. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Also... be well prepared - understand the arguments against shot curtains... they keep the honest, honest; but one cannot guarantee containment.

regards all,

Jay

13. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

Has anyone calculated how high the curtains would need to be at 100 yards? Assume a short shooter with 5 foot gun height shooting from the 16 yard line and the target at 10 feet the prescribed distance in front of the trap house.

I get about 60' above the ground but I don't know exactly how high the target will be at its highest point of travel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
gun shot curtain
kevlar curtain for shotgun range
lead shot curtain

shot curtain

shot curtain for trap range

shot curtains for shotgun ranges

trapshooting shot curtain
trapshooting shot screens