1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cost of having choke tubes installed

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Pat D, Jul 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pat  D

Pat D TS Member

Hello all,
    I have a BT-99 that has a fixed choke. Would anyone know what it would cost to have it threaded for choke tubes?

Regards,
    Pat

2. harpo_old

harpo_old Guest

wrights gunsmiths charge 95.00 to thread the barrel but i do not know how much you will pay for tubes, you can check them out at www.wrightsgunsmiths.com

3. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

The names escape me now but my brother had three guns done by three different gunsmiths and they cost from $100.00 to $175.00 which included three flush choke tubes. I will try to contact him and find out who they were. He's in N.C. right now but will respond asap. Jackie B.

4. ke4yyd

ke4yyd Member

Mike Orlen has an excellent reputation.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=36237&sid=977fa17c92e8efdcd9fc2ddd7a10c0e5

5. B682GX

B682GX TS Member

A friend had chokes installed in his Citori & the POI changed so much that he hasn't shot as well as before.

6. almost unemployed

almost unemployed TS Member

Carlson has an ad in GUN DIGEST for installation, 3 tubes, speed wrench for $85 (I think).

7. nanuk

nanuk TS Supporters TS Supporters

I,(and friends) have experience with Mike Orlen and we were all very pleased. His price (2007) was $35 to thread the barrel and approx. $19-21 per choke tube (I believe they are colonial tubes)--plus shipping. That price was based on being a forum member of shotgun world (no charge for the forum membership).
    regards
    Bob

8. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Don't mess with the rest, git it done by the best. Briley Nothing else needs to be said. Break-em all. Jeff

9. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

A guy at my club just sent his barrel for his BT into Briley. I think he said it was going to cost him $250 to thread and for 3 tubes...seems kinda pricey compared to all the others listed on here. Josh

10. winchesterm12

winchesterm12 TS Member

Up for carlsons go to choketube.com for the details I've had several guns choked by them with no problems threading and 3 flush choke is under $100

Pumpgunner

11. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Many will do this work well. Carlson's does it well, for a reasonable price, and you'll have your barrel back in a very short time.

12. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Pat,

Back to the point, though.

Why do you think you need to put choke tubes in your BT-99?

Most will agree, a fixed choke means you never have to worry about which tube to use.

Why not just leave it as-is?

Save your money and shoot a bunch of targets with the money you didn't use to pay for the choke tube installation.

13. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Ballistic Specialties charges $100/barrel and 5 chokes for $100. They do great work.

14. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

dont choke it, dont port it, shoot it!

15. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

I agree with timb99 I was faced with the same decision and sold my fixed full BT-99 for one with chokes. I have offered $100 more than I sold it for to get the fixed gun back. It shot great, I just wanted to be "cool" and have chokes. I would NOT have chokes installed. But thats just my $.02

16. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Question: Why? Does it bust 'em up strongly from the 27 and smoke 'em from the 16? If it is overchoked, find somebody to open her up to around 32/1000 and be done with it.

17. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

If money is not a primary issue, send to Tom Wilkenson and have the bbl. tuned and have a hdcp & 16 yd. choke. He can also alter the POI to suit you. This may be costly but keep the receipt and it will increase the gun's value when/if you sell it. Also will vastly reduce recoil and have great patterns.

18. Sprinklerman

Sprinklerman Member

Briley just did 1 barrel in my Mx 2000 the other had been done when i purchased it, $415.68 included 6 flush tubes. Mark Mauch

19. Pat  D

Pat D TS Member

Thank you for all the replies,
    The choke is a fixed full. I'm always wondering if i'm at a handicap by not being able to have a open choke at 16 yards. I'm happy with handicap. I'm more interested in the cost due to I have a member at my club with an older style BT-99 with choke tubes that I have to option to by. I very leary about touching the gun, besides it was my first trap gun purchased in 1975. I really don't want to alter it. After hearing what some of you have to say, especially about changing the point of impact I'd rather have to option to go back to my original if the choke tubes don't work out. It's always that one bird that got away and would the next open choke get it ???

Thanks,
    Pat

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
cost of having barrel choked

having choke tubes installed

how much does it cost to have a choke tube installation
how much to have choke tube installed in gun
how much to install choke tubes
threading for choke tubes cost
what does it cost to put choke in my gun