1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

cost of duplicating a stock?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ZTWITHE, Aug 4, 2013.

1. ZTWITHE

ZTWITHE Member

Im thinking of having my bt-100 thumbhole stock duplicated in some nice wood. Anyone have recommendations on who to talk to about having it done reasonably? Thanks in advance, Zach.

2. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Reasonably is a relative term. how close or oversize do you want it. do you want the origional stocks condition preserved.

If the origional is just a pattern and a light scratch or two is ok I do duplication of such stocks for $175 If you need the origional stock kept perfect I charge an extra $50.00 to wrap it with tape before duplication. If you don't need the blocks taken off the origional blank you can take another 50.00 off.

Prices not including wood!

Joe goldberg

3. ZTWITHE

ZTWITHE Member

Joe, PM inbound.

4. mike680

mike680 Member

Joe I also sent a pm
    Mike V

5. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

What kind of tape do you wrap with Joe? Is this something a person who works with their hands should be able to duplicate? (bad pun intended)

6. Beretta Young Gun

Beretta Young Gun Active Member

Dennis devault does a nice job. He duplicated a mod 12 and bt99 stock for me. Price was around $300 including the pieces of laminated birchwood. Fancier wood would cost more of course. BYG

7. ken1okie

ken1okie Active Member

BYG,

Did that include rough inletting an stock bolt hole?

Ken

8. Beretta Young Gun

Beretta Young Gun Active Member

Ken, it included everything except final sanding, checkering, and finish. The wood wasn't just rough inletted, it was FULLY inletteted to the metal...no fitting required. BYG

9. David McMillen

David McMillen Well-Known Member

Wenig charges about $300 for a Krieghoff stock set.

10. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

Personally, I would avoid Wenig like the plague.

On other BBS's there are similar opinions.

JMO of course

Charlie

11. jevoliva

jevoliva Member

Ditto Charlie's comment. I wanted an OLD MX-8 stock duplicated (was my dad's gun, easily 30+ years old) because it was developing hairline cracks in the worst places and patching the cracks was not going to be a long term fix. It's my doubles stock (I shoot doubles fairly well) and have grown to love the gun after shooting it for what is now 23ish years.

I spoke to Wenig staff about this at the 2012 Grand. To duplicate they #1) HAD TO HAVE THE WHOLE GUN, #2) was going to take 3-6 months to do and #3) they wanted over $1000 to do it.

Now mind you, this was NOT going to be a custom fit stock. All I wanted from Wenig was them to dupe the stock and I was then going to take it to Todd Nelson to have an adjustable comb and butt plate put on it (I like his work, my weight still tends to fluctuate, so I like to be refit at least once a year). AND, I didn't want any fancy wood (I like to "decorate" my stock).

I politely told Wenig I wasn't interested. Hearing the prices on this thread now makes my blood boil. After the Grand, I didn't pursue the project (I knew I was going to take about 11 months off). Hearing Joe's prices might have picked him up some new business....

12. drgondog

drgondog Member

When Fred was running the business, Wenig was a good outfit - which is all I will sa about that.

Al Lind is good and reasonable 253 584 6361

Lakewood WA - Full range of stock services from semi inlet to full inlet to complete stocks.

Regards

Bill