1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cost of Big 3 Primers

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Browning Boy, Jul 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Browning Boy

Browning Boy Member

Why are there hardly any of the Big 3 primers available? I'm talkin Federal, Winchester, and Remington. I spoke with a couple of vendors and there saying that when they do get there stock in the added cost increase will put 5000 primers above $200.00. Are they holding back on there supplies so that the demand would be greater so they could raise there prices. I mean what has changed in the making of them to warrant a cost increase. I get so frustrated when I think about this stuff. Any comments?

George Ware

2. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Shortage from all the ammo hoarding going on since the election of a left wing radical.

3. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Fear + greed = hoarding. There has been a huge amount of this in the shooting world following the 2008 election, has to do with 'people clinging to their guns'.

The vendors I know of have to pay more for stock because there is a huge demand. Somewhere in all of this people are making more profit than usual but that is the american way. $200/sleave of shotgun primers is what I paid a couple of months ago and I was glad to get the primers. My bet is the price will be even higher next time I need to buy.

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Sounds like your vendors are out to gouge you. I just bought 5000 W209 primers from my source for $150.00/5000. This is my second sleeve in 3 months and i've seen no price increase.---Matt

5. andybull

andybull Active Member

I don't know about shotgun reloading supplies, but rifle and pistol stuff is unavailable.

6. rmccartyjr

rmccartyjr TS Member

my gun glub has been getting them in about every 3-4 weeks 155 or so with tax

7. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Just bought 5000K Federal primers @ $140.00

Curt

8. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

60K=60,000 for what? BS

9. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

I talked with the guy where I buy my reloading supplies.

He has a modest amount on order because once the supply lines are filled, there will be plenty but at very high prices. When the hoarders see that there is plenty of supplies, they will stop buying.

As supplies continue to pile up, prices will drop back down somewhere near normal.

10. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

What are you complainin' about? You're about to get free healthcare and a bunch of other free stuff.

11. Lead Man

Lead Man TS Member

Simple supply and demand. I buy a fairly large amount of inventory when it is available and the distributor price hasn't moved much. The retail side is where the price increase is the biggest, distributors encourage retailer to go up and prevent hoarding.

The big 3 are running 6 days a week and mostly 2 shifts to keep up. Same with black gun manufacturers. It has started to slow down some and supplies are more available but it will be a year or more before the supply is back to normal and as things go prices will stay long afterward.

A distributor called the other day and asked if I needed any XD's he just got in 35 pallets. That is more than he has had all yr. Guns first, ammo second and components last. This will be the order it will take for a more normalized flow, just remember I said the price will linger for a long time to come. 209's will be $200/ 5k wholesale by the end of summer.

12. BudLight

BudLight Member

WOW...Guess my buddies are getting a deal,,, getting out of shooting and selling them my supply of primers at $20/1000. Ron

13. DenverDuck

DenverDuck Member

If any of you are in SoCal, I have 5,000 extra Winchester 209's available for $160.00 It is 1 sealed sleeve.

I'm in Irvine... Sorry, I can't ship them......Duck

14. RichK

RichK Member

Just tried to buy some Cheddites from my supplier and he couldn't get any from his distributor! These have been selling for $25 per thousand and that was the cheapest price by far around here in central NY. The big three are all at $35-$38 if you can find them. Fiochis have virtually disappeared.

15. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

Larry's Sporting Goods has all the primers you want. That is if you want to pay $205 for 5K primers! He's had them at this price for 3 months...I don't see him selling out any time soon. There's only so much I'll pay for components.

http://www.larryssg.com/larrys%20primers%20page.html

Kevin

16. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

I have 10,000. federal large pistol primers.

Joe woods/ontario

17. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

I broke down and bought 5000 Nobel Sport 209 primers at the Michigan shoot; seems like I paid something like $110.00 for them. There has been a "shortage" of W209's for the past three summers, and I'm getting a little tired of it. They get scarce around July, just before the Grand, and prices shoot up. Then when the supply catches up, the new stock has a higher price. That's just an impression, not a wild conspiracy theory, but I think it's accurate.

I'm aware that Nobel Sport primers are a little bigger than W209's, which I prefer, but I don't especially care. I've got buckets of crispy hulls that are good for one or two reloadings. I'll see how test loads work out, but if they're reasonably close to W209's, I'll use them up and maybe buy some more before I pay a 50% premium on the black market for Winchesters. Whatever gets me through the summer.

Same thing with Hodgden Clays. I bought an 8 pound jug of Promo for $80.00 with the same idea. We'll see how it turns out.

18. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Savage99Stan , If Bob says he bought 60,000 primers then he bought 60,000 primers. I find it amazing you would call BS when you know that many trapshooters have significant means at the ready and saying such a thing when you do know somebody. Hell, that is only 12 sleeves. It might shock you to know how many primers some of us buy.Jeff

19. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

I can see some one buying 60,000 primers. I buy 40,000 primers my self.
    My wife and I shoot and we shoot 20,000 + or - rounds a year each.
    If I had more time I would shoot more. John

20. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

I think the problem is not that some buy 40K or 60K of primers.....they always have, the folks that may have bought 1k or 2k at a time are now buying a sleeve, or more at a time....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.