1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cost of 12 gauge reloading????

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mt92, Feb 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mt92

mt92 Member

I am new to trap shooting and am thinking about reloading.
    Not counting the cost of the press about what does it cost to reload a 12 gauge round.
    I am trying to see if it is worth it or not.
    Thanks
    Mike

2. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Depends on what you pay for components and what load you are making. If you buy in bulk you can load a box of 1 1/8 Oz shells for $4 to $4.50. There is a cost calculator on the home page that you can play with using your local component costs.

3. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Mike: If you do a search, this subject has been addressed numerous times. That being said, the price of reloads is dependent on your choice of components. If you reload using Remington, Federal or Winchester components compared to the less expensive "clones"; the difference is substantial. As of now I load 1 OZ of Lawrence magnum shot, (@24.50 per bag) Fiocchi primer, DownRange wads and 18 grains of Promo powder. (I use hulls that I pickup out of the disposal barrels at the gun club). I only load Remingtons so Gun Clubs are my main hull. Using this formula I load for about $3 per box. (Plus tax) My handicap loads are the same except I load 1 1/16 oz of shot. (Cost=$3.25 a box, plus tax) With the price of shot dropping you can expect a slight decline in price per box. Also, on the main page of TS.com you will find a reloading calculator which will help you figure all of this out. Bottom line, I know I can produce a shell that can compete with new factory loads. (Especially the lower end shells). Anyway, not only will you save money, it is rewarding to manufacture your "secret recipe" that will beat the fellow shooter that opts to use factory shells. :) Good Luck. If you need more input feel free to PM me. Ed

4. jagrdawger

jagrdawger TS Member

Rem Hulls - no charge
    1 oz Lawrence Shot
    DR xl 1 Wad
    17 grains claydot
    W209
    $3.35 Per box

Same with XL118 wad and 1 1/8 oz
    $3.75

STS's sell for $7.75 in my area so I am reloading for about 1/2 the cost of new.

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

12 cents. HMB

6. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Mike, You have to ask yourself how valueable my time is??? Do you have a few hours a week spare time to sit and reload??? Do I have room for full size table for the reloader and all the components that I will need to store??? Do I want to invest about a thousand dollars to get started??? You need to store powder and primers away from children period. You may want to try reloading on someones press at your club if you are serious about reloading. This is to see if you like to do it. While many shooters find it enjoyable to reload there are also many how find it a chore with family life and spare time. Reloading is great if you like to modify your loads for a good reason!!! A light load for wife or child, or something along those lines. If you put a price on your time reloading will not pay. It is a very nice hobby, and a supper way to spend time with your kids if they shoot. My father and I did this for many hours, until it was my job to load all the shells for the both of us. I loved to load as I knew it meant we were going shooting soon. LOL. Hope I gave you a little something to think about. Break-em all. Jeff

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Ajax.... you got it all wrong, I get the wads and shot back and use them again. HMB

8. blkfin

blkfin Member

I really like the way some people talk about the price of reloading. Some reload to save some money. Some reload to try new loads . To most it is a hobby that can save you a few bucks if you shoot enough. Then there is the guy that reloads or talks about reloading and factors in his time. With your time added sure it,s exspensive. Try factoring in your time when you go to the club and shoot. If you did that not to many of us could afford to shoot. Reload,enjoy and happy shooting Mike K.

9. Gold E

Gold E TS Member

I'm with Ajax, catching wads would be fairly easy. Catching shot must be a bitch!

And I thought picking up other people's hulls was tedious.

10. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Most retirees find it relaxing plus they aren`t losing money pending their time on the loading bench . I`ve been reloading for close to 30 years and enjoy making my shells and saving money too . Every shooter has their own reason !!!! Even if your not retired , it`s a nice soothing hour or 2 by yourself . I wouldn`t have it any other way . I only load a 1 oz load for everything which makes it simple and using STS or RGC hulls .

11. wolfram

Mike 92s question was what does it cost to reload a 12 guage shell ... not what does it cost you to reload. Its is a bit misleading to let a newbie think they will be able to scrounge low end compontents like somebody that has been doing it for decades. The new guy won't start off with a big batch of bulk priced components, he will get into the hobby buying primers by the 100 box and powder by the pound paying full retail at the local sporting good store. So no he can't expect to make shells for $3/box or 12 cents per round.

12. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Two thoughts on reloading:

1. Reload to reduce the cost of shooting, or

2. Reload to make a perfect premium shell that works for your shooting style, pattern, gun, and recoil. And you must enjoy the hobby.

I prefer the second. So my reloading cost are $4.00 - $4.50, presently.

13. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

wolfram: The "newbie" can purchase components bulk if they choose to. However, I get your point that a person might start out "small scale" at first. To save $$ he might try to get several shooters to split 5K of primers, 5K of wads, 8# of powder etc. It is all dependent on the amount of shooting he intends to do. If he is just going to shoot league and a couple of practice rounds per week; I am inclined to agree that reloading might not be the way to go. He asks "if it's worth it". Even buying components in small lots will save 25% at least over the purchase of new shells. That being said; if one just wants to reload to save a buck and shoots a minimal amount of rounds; my advice would be to forget about reloading. However, if one wants to include reloading as a part of their shooting experience, as many of us do, then I would go for it. JMHO. Ed

14. Gold E

Gold E TS Member

Get an idea of your local component costs and mash the link abaove for several reloading calculators on this site.

http://www.trapshooters.com/default.cfm

15. wolfram

I hear you Ed, and I am one of those guys that loads shells because I like to craft stuff. I don't save a dime with reloading, I just get to shoot alot more than if I bought factory rolled. But this part of the sport isn't for everyone.

16. STOS

STOS Member

I for one get alot of satisfaction in putting together the perfect load for which iam wanting.There is no way you could buy the loads i put together.As iam sure is true with most people who reload.If you can save a few bucks is a plus for the whole experience.Love the smell of burned PB powder.

17. Jennifer

Jennifer Member

Not counting the reloader and the hulls (I kept 1,000s of hulls when I used to shoot factory loads years ago and a lot are given to me), my 1 ounce loads using Titewad, Claybuster 12SO wads, W209 primers and homemade shot is $3.21 including shipping and hazmat fees from Grafs. When I run out of the homemade shot and have to buy $30 shot from Sportsmans Warehouse, the loads will cost $3.99.

That said, I wouldn't reload unless I liked the reduced recoil and enjoyed reloading.

Jennifer

18. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

I just figured what it`s been costing me to load 1oz loads with 15.6 gr of 700x using magnum #8 shot and CB wads , $3.96 now but refigured with the new cost of components that we are ordering in bulk next week and the new cost brings it down to $3.00 . So with this cost of shells and shooting at our club as a member for $3 per round will be $6.00 per round . Quite inexpensive in this day and age !!!!

19. nevin

nevin TS Member

I started last year with a mec 9000g and I love reloading. It adds some fun, shooting something that you made, and I can load a softer shooting load for a little less money. I'd still do it if it was the same price.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

12 gauge reloading cost

12 gauge reloading costs

12 gauge trap reloading cost
approximate cost to reload 12 gauge target loads
cost of reloading 12 g

cost to reload 12 gauge

reloading 12 gauge trap loads
reloading for 12ga trap cost