1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cost of 100 targets at 2010 Grand?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by chipped99, Mar 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chipped99

chipped99 Active Member

OK,with all this comotion about having to use new bullets at the 2010 Grand who can tell me just how much I'm going to spend at the window to shoot a 100 target event? Now I ask this to see if I need to sell a couple of extra calves and thier momma's this year to pay for the extra expense.Most registered targets around here run about 30.00 bucks a 100.How much at Sparta including shells???????????????????? Thank you in advance.

2. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

2010 grand cost:

Event fee per 100 targets: $35.00

Mandatory shells per 100: $40.00

Curt

3. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

I look at it this way, there is no other sport in the world that I know of, that a ham n egger like myself can compete in a major tournament against the best in the world and pay normal fees. If i was a golfer and could compete at Augusta, I would think I would be paying more than normal green fees back home.
    steve balistreri

4. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

So we think the asking price for shells will be 10 bucks a box Curt? Where did you get your info???

Guy Babin

5. perga1

perga1 Active Member

senior smoke, Isn't this your organization? Wasn't the intent to give Amateurs the benefits of competing as equals with all the other Amateurs? Why should any Amateur pay more? I don't get your point. JRM

6. Chipshot

Chipshot TS Member

From the 2005 Grand program (Event #1, Preliminary Singles, 100 targets:

Targets & Shooter Service: $23.00
    Shells (compulsory): $25.00
    Employee Bonus Fund: $1.00
    Relocation Fee: $2.00
    Total (with no optional purse money): $51.00

The shell fee was for your choice of any 4-boxes of AA, STS, FedGM (paper or plastic), Fiocchi. A complete selection of loads was available (1 oz, 1.125 oz, light loads, heavy handicap, etc.) You could also buy as many extra boxes of shells you wanted at $6.25 per box.

Hope this info helps to answer the original question on this thread.

Bob Mizner
    ATA Life Member 9801608

7. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Rick, et. al.,

Just wait, the state of IL wants their pound of flesh and it'll have to be paid for by the unwitting shooters that show up in Sparta....

Curt

8. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

Bob, if the price was $6.25 at the 2005 Grand what was the price at that time on the retail market? What was the price of shot in 2005? Not being a trouble maker.......I really don't remember when the price hikes took place. If we knew what we could walk into Walmart & purchase a box of STS for in 2005 we might be able to predict this year's price if the mandatory rule goes into effect.

9. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

American Greed.

10. brantman

brantman TS Member

looks like someone is getting thier pound of flesh with havivg to buy shells. all I know is you get a better price by the case not by 100 at a time

11. Bernie K

Bernie K Member

It matters not if the shells are $.50 a box more then retail it's an added cost to the shooters. If gas went up $.50 a gallon all of you would be in a panty pinch. The bottom line is just that, the bottom line. The lowest prices to the shooter and that's not the way to do it. We were talking this weekend at our club and 4 shooters that were going to go have decided not to go if the shells are mandatory. We are in some tough times if you are 65 or over health costs will beat the snot out of most of us in the coming years. I have one perscription that is costing me $250.00 a month, that's 40% of the cost. It's been said it's a rich mans sport and now I know it is. Sorry I'am not rich and I don't think most of us are.

12. Chipshot

Chipshot TS Member

hunter44,

I don't remember what AA or STS were selling for in 2005 but I do remember that $6.25 per box didn't seem unreasonable at the time. I bought some reloading components at the 2005 Grand; don't remember the prices on shot, wads, etc. but I'm sure shot was cheaper then than now.

Anyway, I'm not attending this year's Grand due to job committments so I don't have a dog in this fight. When I attended the Grand in 2004, 2005, 2006, and 2009, I did just to say "I shot at the Grand". I am probably one of the worst trapshooters in ATA history and because I don't put any resources in to becoming better, I won't be winning any Grand events unless I was the only entry!

Bob Mizner

13. EE

EE Banned User Banned

In the summer of 05, the last Grand that required shells, I was buying Gun Clubs for $3.25/box, and STS/AA's for about $4.25, IIRC. The ATA charged $6.25/box for those same STS/AA's. That's an increase of at bit over 47%. At today's prices for AA's in Walmart, the equivalent percentage price increase would make shells cost about $11.50 per box, or $46 per event.

EE

14. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

I realize giving them a chance to announce the prices officially isn't much fun for a gaggle of impatient speculators.

Last year premimum shell prices, with rebates were awesome! I have a feeling the shell companies, the ATA and whomsomeever else is involved will come up with a solution that may surprise us.

Of course that would ruin all the fun. No worries tho, there's never much of a lapse here for things to speculate on and snivel about.

Guy Babin

15. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

January of 2006, I bought 200 flats of Estates, 1oz. @ $27.50 per.

2010 is now 2x that amount.

Curt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.