1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cosby on guns

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by WesleyB, Apr 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

WASHINGTON (AP) — Actor and comedian Bill Cosby says the debate over the killing of Trayvon Martin by a neighborhood watch volunteer should be focused on guns, not race.

In an interview on CNN's "State of the Union" aired Sunday, Cosby said calling George Zimmerman a racist doesn't solve anything. Cosby says the bigger question is what Zimmerman was doing with a gun, and who taught him how to behave with it.

The shooting of the 17-year-old Martin on Feb. 26 has ignited a nationwide debate about race and self-defense.

Cosby said during the interview, which was taped Thursday afternoon, that he once owned a gun but no longer does. He says there is a need to get guns off the streets, and that people should be taught to use every possible alternative before shooting someone.

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Cosby sponsors/supports sporting clays shooter Theo Ribbs, at least based in information from last month on Shotgun World and ShooterspageTX.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=95&t=285209

3. bill1949

bill1949 Well-Known Member

Yeah, it was the gun's fault! The gun walked up to the kid by itself and shot him, yeah right. I was hit head on in a car accident some years ago and the car drove itself into my lane by itself, lady in the car was an innocent bystander!...Bill

4. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

Not trying to be a Smart-A?? but why do we care what Mr. Cosby has to say about the subject? Who is he other than a holy-wood actor. Why doesn't he comment on the sad state of affairs among young black males,i.e. crime/violence statics, drop out rates, lack of responsibility as far as fatherless child births etc.. Please don't misunderstand I don't think it's a color issue ( the pigment of ones skin doesn't create these ills) however your CULTURE does. I place the blame squarely on the shoulders of the democrat party, who have chosen to instigate a plan to replace the father image with government aid/money and unfortunately we are reaping what they have sewn. "If you want to keep someone in poverty simply give them money" That is the unfair Racist part of the equation and as long as that segment of society can and will vote, they will be the target of a well orchestrated ploy by the Dems. to keep them where they can the most good, in the voting booth. Just my $.02

5. dshot

dshot Member

Don't forget Cosby had a son shot and kill on the roadside, so he may have some slanted views on this subject.

6. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

He has his bias just anyone else, and he wants to stay reverent in hollyweird!!

Like anyone else "there", if he spoke up for firearm ownership, he would have a hard time getting a gig!!

He has made some spot one statements about the lack of MEN in his race. BUT every time he does, people like Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, or Senators Lewis,Boxer, and others of his race, get caught doing something stupid or saying something stupid and "takes" his thunder!!!!

sirmissalot, hit the mark, spot on!!

7. dhip

dhip Active Member

I respect Mr. Cosby for his views.He hates the racist card which is played by so many blacks,he hates lazy blacks.As far as the gun comment,I agree,he emphazized Who trained the person with the gun,and HOW were they trained.I don't believe many on the site would disagree with the staement being the TRAINING and use and ownership needs to be addressed before some one carries.

Doug H.

8. dhip

dhip Active Member

I respect Mr. Cosby for his views.He hates the racist card which is played by so many blacks,he hates lazy blacks.As far as the gun comment,I agree,he emphazized Who trained the person with the gun,and HOW were they trained.I don't believe many on the site would disagree with the staement being the TRAINING and use and ownership needs to be addressed before some one carries.

Doug H.

9. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

SirMissalott:

With respect, Mr. Cosby has had a LOT to say about, "... the sad state of affairs among young black males,i.e. crime/violence statics, drop out rates, lack of responsibility as far as fatherless child births etc..." Cosby has taken an incredible amount of heat for his comments from the race pimps mentioned above and many others. He hasn't backed off an inch.

We might be interested in his comments because as a responsible adult, he makes no excuses for bad behavior.

As for Cosby's son (Ennis), he was shot dead during an armed robbery on the side of an L.A. street in January, 1997. According to court documents, young Cosby was shot because he was too slow handing over his money.

The perp was caught, convicted, and sentenced to life plus ten years.

As for the general subject, what George Zimmerman did and didn't do will remain the subject of intense legal scrutiny for the foreseeable future. The same will likely be true for Tayvon Martin's actions that night. I look forward to court quality evidence replacing all the wild specuation and irresponsible statements made so far.

Unfortunately, it will take a while. The wheels of justice grind exceedingly slow but exceedingly fine.

sissy

Edited addition for jktphd:

I'd suggest you google information about Bill Cosby and his family. Pay particular attention to their priorities and accomplishments.

All to often the personal lives of celebrities are train wrecks. Mr. Cosby is a notable exception. If every parent imparted the values and ethics to their children that Mr. Cosby has shared with his, it would be a far better world.

There's one h@ll of a bunch of people that could do far worse that listening to Cosby's wisdom.

10. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

Recoil Sissy,
    I stand corrected and am glad to hear it! I wish more of the black leaders would show the correct type of leadership for the young black youths of America, it is such a shame so many young lives are misdirected. And for what it's worth please don't think that my aforementioned comments assume that I am without faults because I ain't that guy. LOL But I do pray to him on a regular basis!!

11. lots of 24's

lots of 24's Member

Bill Cosby has a history of coming down hard on lazy, unmotivated, uneducated black males. He took a lot of heat from black folks for it too. He stood his ground and didnt back off a bit. He maybe from hollywood but he knows whats right and wrong and he expects people of all colors and ages to know the same. I would expect he would have a problem with guns, since he had a son killed like that. I dont know how to say this correctly, but I dont think a bunch of young punks in the city should have guns either. I am not sure how to correctly discriminate against them. I guess there isnt a legal way to do it. But thats how I feel about it.

12. trapgeek

trapgeek Member

Actually, Cosby has a Doctorate in Edcucation. Go read up on him. Oh, yeah, he was also in the Navy. I'm not saying he is right on guns, but he may have his personal reasons as stated above, but he is no stupid man. Wanted to set the record straight,

Trapgeek

13. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Even Cosby's remarks on guns have merit, I've never heard him call for their ban. His comments have always been on the actions of people, not the tools they use.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.