1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Corrosive Primers?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by pyrdek, Aug 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

I have tried reloading some Federal Tog Gun shells. No problem with the load but something I did notice with the original primers when I knocked them out. They showed a lot more signs of what I would describe as corrosion. These shells were never wet or in fact even on the ground. They came from the Federal box to the gun to the empties pouch and maybe a month or two later to the loader.

These primers show this corrosion all over theflashole area and the sides of the primer. It looks like some residue mixed with rust spots on the primer.I also noticed that they took a bit more force than when I deprimed either Win AAs or Rem STS shells. The Win and Rem primers showed no similar corrosion. They had only the normal powder "soot" around the flash hole.

I went to try a picture of the different primers but I found that all the batteries I had for my camera were dead. I have them charging and will try to post a picture or two tomorrow.

My other concern is if this is some type of corrosion caused by the primer, what could this affect in the barrel if the gun isn't cleaned very soon after firing these shells.

Anyone else notice this kind of corrosion on fired primers removed from factory Top Gun shells?

2. mike b.

mike b. Member

Some of the primer parts are steel as are the bases of Top Gun shells. Shooting and storing in a humid area can add the water to the mix = RUST. Modern primers are non-corrosive but that's my opinion without $$$$$ dollars in testing ! Clean your barrel frequently if you're worried.

3. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

Thay are an ALL steel primer .Any humity will make them appear "frosty" The cup is steel and so is the primer

4. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I doubt they are true corrosive primers, just "corroded". There is the paper base wad and if it absorbs moisture, the primer cup could corrode. Any hulls with signs of water (swelling of the basewad) or excessive corrosion will get tossed. The primer cups are steel and so is the case head. Some light corrosion should not be a problem, but if it is pronounced, I'd toss the hulls.

5. birddog1964

birddog1964 TS Member

I was told at a gun show if it had corrosive primers in shot gun or rifle it is hard to clean about the only thing that that will cut it is hot soapy water, now this is just what I was told. I use ball loads w/corrosive primers in my British 303 for fun and it takes a wile to clean!

lee

6. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Here are pictures of three different manufacturers primers. There are two of Fededral Top Gun, Win AA (new style) and STS. There is also a close up of the Top Gun primer to better show the corrosion.

All the shells were shot, stored and deprimed under exactly the same conditions. Like I said in the initial posting, these shells, all of them, were never in the rain, on the ground or anywhere other than the box they came in, the gun, the empties pouch and the plastic bags they were stored in until I deprimed them.

The other thing I found interesting was that the two AA shells, which came from different lots of ammo (one a 1 oz. 7 1/2 Lite Handicap, the other a 1 1/8 Ox * Super Handicap) had slightly different battery cup shapes. The STS shells had the same standard 1 1/8 Oz 8 load but I do not know if they were from the same or different production lots.

The battery cup difference in these two STS primers were even more different than the AA primers. I had never inspected fired primers that closely and in fact did not even notice the differences until I checked out the pictures I took. At first I thought they were photographic artifacts but they were not. The differences really were there in the primers.

[​IMG]

7. mike b.

mike b. Member

Might just be a product of combustion seeping up the loose fitting area of the primer.

8. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Find some once fired Gold Medals and pop the primers out. If they are clean, I'd think it has a lot to do with the paper base wad in the Top Guns.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.